Rock Slider Recommendations for 06 LJ

• Thread starter Cross-Threaded-06TJ
  • Start date
Can I jump in here? I'm on the same path, looking for sliders for my LJ. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a few.

Savvy - $679. Quality, and a bit pricey. Also, on backorder. The aluminum looks cool, and I'm happy to save weight. These tick all the boxes from the guide thread.
Shrockworks - $504. Looks quality, and the cheapest on my list. That price is with powdercoating too! Having trouble finding much about these, but it looks like they tick all the boxes? Might need someone to confirm the list. They have backing plates, go all the way to the frame, and do not interfere with body mounts.
JCR Crusader - $689 powdercoated. A lot more savings here if I don't go powdercoated. These are the same price as the Savvy though, so I'm not sure why I would go with these aside from availability.
TNT - One model is super expensive, even without adding all the extra brackets. Other option is pushing 600 with the brackets if I skip all the other options. Could be a contender, need to look into them a bit more.

To be fair, I need to confirm what the shipping costs would be for all of these. I guess the Shrockworks is missing the rolled edge? Any other reasons why they might be inferior? That aspect alone doesn't bother me too much. The weight doesn't bother me too much either. Depending on shipping, it could save me a couple hundred bucks though, and even more if I want to paint myself.
Do yourself a favor. Even if the Savvy sliders are on backorder, wait for them. I've installed several sliders and the design, coverage, weight, and strength is as good as it gets. Even if they're more money, it's a decision you won't regret later!

I have the JCR's. I ordered them raw and had the tub mounting plate powder coated to match my paint. I then just rattle canned the sliders for easy future touch ups. I got them on sale last year for $484. I would have ordered the Savvy's but they were on backorder last year also and I had plans to go to Moab. Unfortunately that trip was canceled due to Covid. If cost is a determining factor they are a good choice. If you have the funds and time Savvy is without question the best.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Wow 484 is nuts. The Savvy are basically 50% more cost (both prices shipped, JCR price unpainted). For someone with one wheeling trip under my belt... I sent out an email to see what the wait time is for the Savvy. Cost is a factor in general. Things add up when you spend 50% extra for that last 10% of performance over and over again.

. . . I'm on the same path, looking for sliders for my LJ. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a few. . . .

. . . Shrockworks - $504. Looks quality, and the cheapest on my list. That price is with powdercoating too! Having trouble finding much about these, but it looks like they tick all the boxes? Might need someone to confirm the list. They have backing plates, go all the way to the frame, and do not interfere with body mounts. . . .

I have Shrockworks rocker protection and zero complaints.

https://www.shrockworks.com/Jeep-Un...ds-Rocker-Protection-Rock-Rails-pr-16167.html
After first day in the dirt.jpg

Jeep at PG&E Campground Butt Lake Reservoir.jpg

If you lean towards JCR I'd call them and see about a discount. They were just running a 10% off for Black Friday. I bought mine last February when they had a "tax time" 10% off sale.

If cost is your driving factor, and you don't need a step, it looks like UCF has a basic slider under $400. They also offer 10% to 15% routinely. I've never seen these, but it looks like they have good coverage and are made from 3/16" carbon steel. Since they don't have a step, the weight is kept down to around 25 lbs each.

https://undercoverfab.com/rocker-guards/92-ucf-rocker-guards-for-jeep-lj.html

Hm, good call. Their shipping is free too, and I was planning to get my engine skid from them as well

Reactions: Irun
Hm, good call. Their shipping is free too, and I was planning to get my engine skid from them as well
I've bought multiple bumpers and skids from UCF, which have always been quality. You could always call Matt there and ask for a discount!

I see a video of mine referred to earlier about the Warn guards causing the body to bow.

I do feel that the warns caused an issue on the LJ because they are only putting bolts in locations you can access from the back. I wish they had included a few nutserts to increase the number of bolting locations. I think the biggest flaw is how they attach under the Jeep causes some rotational force on the skid. I think that is when my body starting to bend.

Now it's 3 years later and I don't notice any additional bends and I've smacked these really good a few times this summer. When I paint the Jeep next year I plan to add a few nutserts.

That all said I really like the design of the rounded edge on the Warns. I find it works well on obstacles in my area. You can see in a video below it helped pivot me around a rock that a wider rocker would have caused issues. Yes other rockers might have acted similar but a lot of the other Jeeps seem to get more held up on their rockers than I do. I seem to slide a lot more.

If it was to do it again I'd likely go Savvy or the mini-boat side Genright rockers. But I bought these on sale for $200...

Warn Rocker:
Rocker doing its thing:

Do yourself a favor. Even if the Savvy sliders are on backorder, wait for them. I've installed several sliders and the design, coverage, weight, and strength is as good as it gets. Even if they're more money, it's a decision you won't regret later!

X100 to this.

So I see some like the Derale cooler with the electric fan and some like the cooler in front of the radiator.

I can see benefits to both. One requires a fan but that could be a benefit when crawling at slow speeds because there’s not much air flow passing the front radiator. But that also induces the chance for the electric fan failing so thats a benefit of the in front radiator style.

For slow off-roading/crawling in warm areas, is there one style preferred over the other style?
I installed the Derale transmission cooler with electric fan onto both of my TJs and it has worked 100% perfectly since the very first one I installed nearly 20 years ago. Never a problem, the fan has never had a problem either. http://www.4x4xplor.com/speedo.html

Reactions: Bowhunter
I installed the Derale transmission cooler with electric fan onto both of my TJs and it has worked 100% perfectly since the very first one I installed nearly 20 years ago. Never a problem, the fan has never had a problem either. http://www.4x4xplor.com/speedo.html

Thanks Jerry. I will post my question in the right thread and tag you to continue the discussion in the correct thread

You mean you want me to repost the same answer given above in your new thread? :)

Good point lol. After thinking about your answer and what Blaine said back in 2018 (quoted below ) looks like the derale with a fan is best for me since my concern is low speed cooling ability

Here is what experience has shown us. Fan mounted coolers under the tub work at low speed, they do not work well at highway speed. Grill mounted coolers work at highway speed, they do not work well at low speed.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I have some from A to Z that I have seriously abused for about 12 years now. Very strong, good standoff, highly recommend. I understand Zach, the owner, passed away recently so they are temporarily not filling orders from their storefront. RIP Zach...

I’m on my second set, the LJ length went right to the flares. I truly hope the brand can continue, I really like the beefed up OEM diamond plate look.

IMG_0344.jpeg