Rock Slider Recommendations for 06 LJ

• Thread starter Cross-Threaded-06TJ
  • Start date
I don’t see how drilling holes and bolting to the body is better or stronger than bolting to the frame at the body mounts like Body Armor sliders?View attachment 160226

Leverage. Think about how the forces act on the mounting points when you slam down on a rock. Body mounted ones (with enough hardware) will take the force much better than the frame mounted ones, which will try to bend off the mounts. You also lose a lot more clearance with frame mounted steps.

Leverage. Think about how the forces act on the mounting points when you slam down on a rock. Body mounted ones (with enough hardware) will take the force much better than the frame mounted ones, which will try to bend off the mounts. You also lose a lot more clearance with frame mounted steps.

Additionally, sliders that use the body mounts require that those body mounts be trimmed. Even under the best of circumstances, this disrupts the even loading of the body mounts and can lead to rippled sheet metal and broken spot welds.

Let the body mounts be body mounts. The sliders don't need them.

Sliders that attach to the frame or the body mounts are a complete waste of time and money. That is if you're planing on wheeling in places where you actually need to use your sliders. The body mounts get hung up enough as it is.

Sliders that attach to the frame or the body mounts are a complete waste of time and money. That is if you're planing on wheeling in places where you actually need to use your sliders. The body mounts get hung up enough as it is.

Well said...but just remember lots of people buy them for looks, or any other reason except for their intended use. My first question to this question is what is your intended purpose?
Starting to think about sliders. Whats the rage for the old LJ monster and why?

I have searched, but I wanna hear opinions anyway....

So what is your intended purpose? My LJ has stock ones and Savvy has the overall best design if you are using them for off-road. Price is high but you pay for what you get in this case.

This is a good read about other brands. My personal favorites for looks is KD Fabworks, who is also a forum member.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/rock-sliders-rocker-guards-guide.8704/

Reactions: Cross-Threaded-06TJ
Whatever you decide, pick something that does not use the body mounts for attachment. That means no Poison Spyder.
Why do feel that way ? My PS sliders have served me well w/o any issues what so ever

IMG_6378.jpg

IMG_6382.jpg

I disagree how does using the body mounts along with mounting to the tub like others cause the body mounts to get hung up ??

I disagree how does using the body mounts along with mounting to the tub like others cause the body mounts to get hung up ??

The sliders don't have much effect on the body mounts getting hung up. But when you wheel where the body mounts are constantly getting hung up, Poison Spyder sliders are not a good idea.

If you use the sliders frequently the bolts will rip through the tub.
The sliders don't have much effect on the body mounts getting hung up. But when you wheel where the body mounts are constantly getting hung up, Poison Spyder sliders are not a good idea.
Why ?? If they are pushed tight against the bottom of the tub I really don't see the problem

bl3.jpg

The only other design I have considered beside savvy, is rock hard brand sliders with the tube. Basically I don't want anything not made in the USA.

Blaine has photos of the poison spyder ones causing tub damage I think. They use only a few large fasteners in the tub + the body mounts from what I remember, so any hard hits can tear up the rocker pretty easily.

It is also important to note that most people very rarely hit their rockers too hard. Plenty of people run without rocker guards just fine since they don’t wheel all that hard. I like to think that my Jeep sees a good bit of rock trails, and my savvy sliders only have one or two scratches in them so far.

Unless you’re running in places like JV, I don’t think the difference between frame mounted and body mounted is too noticeable. But if and when you need the body mounted sliders, you’ll be glad you bought them.

Blaine has photos of the poison spyder ones causing tub damage I think. They use only a few large fasteners in the tub + the body mounts from what I remember, so any hard hits can tear up the rocker pretty easily.

It is also important to note that most people very rarely hit their rockers too hard. Plenty of people run without rocker guards just fine since they don’t wheel all that hard. I like to think that my Jeep sees a good bit of rock trails, and my savvy sliders only have one or two scratches in them so far.

Unless you’re running in places like JV, I don’t think the difference between frame mounted and body mounted is too noticeable. But if and when you need the body mounted sliders, you’ll be glad you bought them.
I would be interested in seeing the photo, not saying your wrong it's just that I have not see any proof to support everyone just saying it is so. I have not been to JV but my PS sliders have been through Moab, the Rubicon several times and Fordyce Creek trail which if you don't know is like the Rubicon on steroids and no issues so far. maybe I am just lucky :)

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_2901.JPG

Well said...but just remember lots of people buy them for looks, or any other reason except for their intended use. My first question to this question is what is your intended purpose?

So what is your intended purpose? My LJ has stock ones and Savvy has the overall best design if you are using them for off-road. Price is high but you pay for what you get in this case.

This is a good read about other brands. My personal favorites for looks is KD Fabworks, who is also a forum member.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/rock-sliders-rocker-guards-guide.8704/
My intended purpose is to have something there when I hit it. I had a set on my YJ made by sun performance long ago. I did not hit them often, but when I did I was glad they were there. I may not hit them too often. But when I get the chance to wheel more aggressive trails I will be.

One other small/lame but funny to me "plus" to HD sliders is the end of door dings from other cars. I used to come out from a store and see small chips in my YJ sliders with paint transfer from somebodys door. A quick spray of matte black and I was fixed. The other persons door not so much.

I would be interested in seeing the photo, not saying your wrong it's just that I have not see any proof to support everyone just saying it is so. I have not been to JV but my PS sliders have been through Moab, the Rubicon several times and Fordyce Creek trail which if you don't know is like the Rubicon on steroids and no issues so far. maybe I am just lucky :)

View attachment 160356

View attachment 160357

Depends on how you define failure. These are some from an owner whose rig I work on a bunch. You can see that small amount of large diameter fasteners has dimpled the sheet metal outwards due to the lower being shoved inward and it levering on the lower part of the tub.

View attachment 80842View attachment 80843View attachment 80844View attachment 80845View attachment 80846

Found Blaines post. You most likely aren’t hitting the sliders hard enough to make a difference. If you ran JV or trails where you had to land on the rockers, you might have more problems. I don’t run those trails either and most people don’t so your sliders will probably be fine for the foreseeable future.

Sadly, I bought what I knew worked 20 years ago. They use the frame mounts and I didn’t do my due diligence and didn’t things had changed.

I will be swapping mine out for Savvy sliders. Live and learn, I’m finding a lot of great updates on the TJ platform that have changed much of my prior experiences.

It’s all about the design that functions the best. These features are the most important

1) tub mounted
2) ww2ww
3) rolled edge at the 90* angle (rather than a sharp edge)

Not many sliders have these features. Genright, Savvy, Warn if you get a good set, then JCR, TNT. Rokmen used to make a nice set, but they are out of the game.

Whats about shrockworks? I have been eyeing them for a while now. https://www.shrockworks.com/jeep-un...ds-rocker-protection-rock-rails-pr-16167.html

Shrockworks makes decent sliders for LJ's. I have a set, installed by the previous owner. For those looking for sliders that work well as steps Shrockworks are worthy of consideration. Perhaps not for those who grind them up on big rocks every weekend (the Savvy rolled edge without step has an advantage there), but quite functional for the other 98% of jeepers. Bonus: They are manufactured in the U.S.A.

Seen here the first weekend after I purchased my LJ:

After first day in the dirt.jpg

Last edited:
Can I jump in here? I'm on the same path, looking for sliders for my LJ. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a few.

Savvy - $679. Quality, and a bit pricey. Also, on backorder. The aluminum looks cool, and I'm happy to save weight. These tick all the boxes from the guide thread.
Shrockworks - $504. Looks quality, and the cheapest on my list. That price is with powdercoating too! Having trouble finding much about these, but it looks like they tick all the boxes? Might need someone to confirm the list. They have backing plates, go all the way to the frame, and do not interfere with body mounts.
JCR Crusader - $689 powdercoated. A lot more savings here if I don't go powdercoated. These are the same price as the Savvy though, so I'm not sure why I would go with these aside from availability.
TNT - One model is super expensive, even without adding all the extra brackets. Other option is pushing 600 with the brackets if I skip all the other options. Could be a contender, need to look into them a bit more.

To be fair, I need to confirm what the shipping costs would be for all of these. I guess the Shrockworks is missing the rolled edge? Any other reasons why they might be inferior? That aspect alone doesn't bother me too much. The weight doesn't bother me too much either. Depending on shipping, it could save me a couple hundred bucks though, and even more if I want to paint myself.

update:
shipping is 125 for the Shrockworks. That's 625 total with paint.
shipping is 106 for savvy. That's 785 total.
shipping is free on JCR. and without paint, theyre only 539. 689 with paint.

Not sure if TNT is still worth mentioning given those options, prices, and the details in the guide.