Rubicon RockTrac transfer case clarification (J vs OR)

jeep_boss

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I thought that I had understood the nomenclature of the RockTrac t-cases, after reading a thread on the internet somewhere a while ago. I understand some of the history behind New Process (NP) New Venture (NV), New Venture Gear, but what I do not understand is the "J" designation on the t-case badge.

My understanding was the J's were 2.72:1 ratio and the "OR" is 4:1. My 05 TJR has a 4:1 t-case, which is also stated on the build sheet - yet, the badge says "241J". I read long ago that OR stood for Off-Road, and the 4:1 t-cases have "OR" and not "J".

See where I'm confused?

A5E03219-AC8C-4EF8-B84F-092B52DEC7DA.png

I can't answer this question as I do not know myself, but my transfer case in my Rubicon has a J after it as well, not an OR like I hear some people refer to it as.

One thing I can say is that these are supposedly very, very stout transfer cases. I remember hearing that they were built for (and used in?) certain Dodge Cummins pickup applications, which would obviously be a testament to their strength and durability.

I'll be following this thread, as I to am curious about the "J" as oppose to the "OR".

Reactions: jeep_boss
I can't answer this question as I do not know myself, but my transfer case in my Rubicon has a J after it as well, not an OR like I hear some people refer to it as.

One thing I can say is that these are supposedly very, very stout transfer cases. I remember hearing that they were built for (and used in?) certain Dodge Cummins pickup applications, which would obviously be a testament to their strength and durability.

I'll be following this thread, as I to am curious about the "J" as oppose to the "OR".
Dude, there is soooo much conflicting information out there on these t-cases - I am anxious to find out as well!

Well hot damn, that makes sense! There's somw articles out there with obvioud misinformation. Take this one, where at the bottom of the article screenshot it states that non-Rubicon 241's are 241J's..

View attachment 39350

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/154-1201-jp-guide-to-jeep-transfer-cases/

The non-rubicon model is not even a 241 at all, it's a 231.

Unless they are talking about the non-Rubicon model of the NP241 (as in the version not used on Jeeps), in which case it sounds like that's the NP241OR, huh?

The non-rubicon model is not even a 241 at all, it's a 231.

Unless they are talking about the non-Rubicon model of the NP241 (as in the version not used on Jeeps), in which case it sounds like that's the NP241OR, huh?
They lost me in that article. It is my understanding that the RockTrac 241's in Jeeps are OR's period. There are other publications that state 241OR's are JK only lol .. so much confusion! o_O

They lost me in that article. It is my understanding that the RockTrac 241's in Jeeps are OR's period. There are other publications that state 241OR's are JK only lol .. so much confusion! o_O

There is a lot of confusion, I agree. All I know is that mine says J on it, so I have to assume the 241 OR is the version of the transfer case used in other applications (i.e. Dodge trucks) as Jerry mentioned.

JP Magazine... Not sure what to think about them.

This J and OR thing seem to apply to JK models where the non rubicon models uses a 241J with 2:72 low ratio and the Rubicon model uses the 241OR with 4:1 Low ratio.

Now, did the JK's 241OR the same as the TJ 241J?

Seem to be but I need to research and discuss more with Fellas that has experience on TJ and JK.

I believe certain years(maybe later)of TJ Rubi’s are 241J, with the 4-1. I think depending on whether it’s a NV or NP case. Not exactly sure. I know one company bought the other at one point, that’s why it’s NV and NP.

Mine is from a 2005 LJ Rubi. It says 241J and 4-1. My buddies is from an 04 TJ Rubi, and it says 241OR and 4-1. Or so he says, I’ve never crawled under to verify.

I believe certain years(maybe later)of TJ Rubi’s are 241J, with the 4-1. I think depending on whether it’s a NV or NP case. Not exactly sure. I know one company bought the other at one point, that’s why it’s NV and NP.

Mine is from a 2005 LJ Rubi. It says 241J and 4-1. My buddies is from an 04 TJ Rubi, and it says 241OR and 4-1. Or so he says, I’ve never crawled under to verify.

Sweet, Thanks for your input!

Mine its 2006 and also said 241J
1563733111923.png

Reactions: rubicube
I had an early build 03 Rubicon (built Oct 02) and it had the designation 241OR tag but my current 05 and 06 LJ Rubicons both have the 241J designation. All of them are 4:1 low range.

Here is the tag from my 03 Rubicon. Looks like it was made on 09-10-2002 based on the serial number. Jeep was first registered in Az in Dec. 2002.

5258EF12-79AB-4D9F-A34C-3E37BAD11495.jpeg