Rocky Mountain Billy Goat Build

Like everything else one upgrade often requires another. In true form...

56FFDFA0-2ED5-4C9B-B1D2-B41CBA91A804.jpeg
FED16E90-2CB6-4166-989B-B423DE6143E2.jpeg

Nothing too special so far this week beyond prepping for the season - greasing joints and an oil change. These joints were damn near dry and were noisy.

In this first picture you can see the ball and race, this was before even cleaning them up (I guess I touched them with my greasy glove from the previous joint, so you can see two fingerprints of fresh grease there).

D80BD5AF-790F-4EF6-934F-CA0565D8D750.jpeg

8A2EE624-9DDA-49AF-86CE-EB3CAFF8A99B.jpeg

I probably overdid the grease but figure it’ll work in or out anyway. Hoping to get to my trackbar as well since it’s probably due.

I’m taking the next few days off of work and visiting the BFH garage - so things may get more interesting...

Last edited:
Like everything else one upgrade often requires another. In true form...

View attachment 228853
those are the ones i got. they say BB's in fluid but they sure do sound like a tube full of rice, no?
i painted mine and it did not hold up, i scuffed the finish a bit trying not to disturb the silicone, but the paint just flakes off. some kind of bonding primer might have worked.

those are the ones i got. they say BB's in fluid but they sure do sound like a tube full of rice, no?
i painted mine and it did not hold up, i scuffed the finish a bit trying not to disturb the silicone, but the paint just flakes off. some kind of bonding primer might have worked.

I will put them on with all my work over the next few days - but yeah just shaking them I can see that I may get annoyed with the sound. That's good to know on the paint, I hadn't decided yet!

Reactions: someguysjeep
I will put them on with all my work over the next few days - but yeah just shaking them I can see that I may get annoyed with the sound. That's good to know on the paint, I hadn't decided yet!
i never heard them on the rig........... just sound like a maraca in your hands.

Reactions: rasband

Mine sound like sand up until about 10-13mph. But I only really notice it in the summer without windows while at the McDonald's drive-up.

Reactions: rasband
Day One in the BFH Garage we got my rear axle dialed in for the 5.13s.

This wasn’t the final pattern, but a picture I took along the way. That’s a lot of involved and detailed work. We’re talking adjusting a hundredth of an inch in a couple dimensions that impact each other.

9A118002-0748-450E-9F9C-FB04AE83B933.jpeg

How's the drive?

Ive only got ~20 minutes on it, but it’s substantially different. I’ll mirror what Shawn says so far in that 1st is mostly not useful on the road (but I’m excited to crawl with it) and 6th might be useful finally (that I’m not sure on yet due to the break in). I couldn’t discern any change in NVH type stuff at least up to 50, the BFH Garage is pro.

Reactions: strumble8 and jjvw
Ive only got ~20 minutes on it, but it’s substantially different. I’ll mirror what Shawn says so far in that 1st is mostly not useful on the road (but I’m excited to crawl with it) and 6th might be useful finally (that I’m not sure on yet due to the break in). I couldn’t discern any change in NVH type stuff at least up to 50, the BFH Garage is pro.
Taking off in 2nd in mine feels really sluggish, I still use 1st unless I'm rolling

Taking off in 2nd in mine feels really sluggish, I still use 1st unless I'm rolling

Im still getting a feel for it, so that may be incorrect. It just seems like I have to shift so quickly first seems like a waste. What transmission is in yours? I’d be curious if there’s much difference in our first few gears. I think the nsg370 is 4.46:1 and 2.61:1.

Maybe we should butt dyno it and swap for a drive.

Reactions: tworley
Im still getting a feel for it, so that may be incorrect. It just seems like I have to shift so quickly first seems like a waste. What transmission is in yours? I’d be curious if there’s much difference in our first few gears. I think the nsg370 is 4.46:1 and 2.61:1.

Ax-15. Google says 3.83:1 and 2.33:1

I tend to shift into 2nd well above 3k.

After altering my shift points I’m already in love with these gears. I’ve not gotten up into the mountains yet but driving around town is much more pleasant. 5.13 was a good choice.

Wow, I am still on stock rubicon gears with the NSG370 and 35's. I dont think I would have considered anything beyond 4.88. Do you feel as if you are shifting out of 1st very quickly?

Wow, I am still on stock rubicon gears with the NSG370 and 35's. I dont think I would have considered anything beyond 4.88. Do you feel as if you are shifting out of 1st very quickly?
Yeah, about 10-15mph (just above 3000 rpm as @jjvw suggested). You can easily start in 2nd on most stops if you’d want.

4.88 would be a much better choice for you (especially with the NSG370). 5.13s and 35s are better suited for hills and mountains than just flat interstate.

Reactions: Viking Jeeper