Rocky Mountain Billy Goat Build

Digesting Moab:

I’m really happy with how my setup is for a stock location setup (the only non is a tie rod flip and my sway links). It climbs very well, a few things I was just blown away by (and I think a few others were surprised as well):

8731F8A9-ECF1-4776-905D-2791870E5E6D.jpeg
99109F13-9075-4CE8-BEC7-265E36A5C6A3.jpeg

I did pop a bead, but unless it happens regularly bead locks are still for “later”. Other than needing a taller bottle Jack, reseating the bead wasn’t a big deal at all.
50C1DE16-1E38-4017-BD62-BD2569CE0227.jpeg

I did mess up a pre-trip item that popped out on the second day. I think I rightfully irritated others because this shouldn’t have happened, but this is experience gained as well. One of the 18 joints I regreased for this trip popped open (rear upper frame side). I was lucky in that the snap ring wasn’t lost.

2D4207AD-213B-402C-9828-C4E0C118DE39.jpeg

So far I really like how this build is performing so far. Beyond the above there’s a few things it’s telling me:

1. I’m missing some braking control, even with the BMB pads. Time for the BBK.
2. The rear bumper and corners hit semi-regularly, so raise the bumper and add corner armor (which is contingent on sliders)
3. The front bumper is doing a good job of being as out of the way as it can be - nothing really to be done with it other than working on line choices to approach at an angle to work up.

I’ll get under it tomorrow to see what other lessons are there.

Digesting Moab:

I’m really happy with how my setup is for a stock location setup (the only non is a tie rod flip and my sway links). It climbs very well, a few things I was just blown away by (and I think a few others were surprised as well):

View attachment 247819View attachment 247821
I did pop a bead, but unless it happens regularly bead locks are still for “later”. Other than needing a taller bottle Jack, reseating the bead wasn’t a big deal at all.
View attachment 247822
I did mess up a pre-trip item that popped out on the second day. I think I rightfully irritated others because this shouldn’t have happened, but this is experience gained as well. One of the 18 joints I regreased for this trip popped open (rear upper frame side). I was lucky in that the snap ring wasn’t lost.

View attachment 247820

So far I really like how this build is performing so far. Beyond the above there’s a few things it’s telling me:

1. I’m missing some braking control, even with the BMB pads. Time for the BBK.
2. The rear bumper and corners hit semi-regularly, so raise the bumper and add corner armor (which is contingent on sliders)
3. The front bumper is doing a good job of being as out of the way as it can be - nothing really to be done with it other than working on line choices to approach at an angle to work up.

I’ll get under it tomorrow to see what other lessons are there.
Also a great McGyvered JJ tool, it’s a good lesson in improvising when you don’t have that expensive JJ tool.

Last edited:
Also a great McGyvered JJ tool, it’s good lesson in improvising when you don’t have that expensive JJ tool.
Thanks! It was @jjvw and I teaming up and combining tools. I’ll be keeping a set of all the bolts/nuts/washers in the kit just in case anyone else makes the same mistake I did setting the snap ring fully. I can’t believe it made it 300 miles and two days of wheeling before I started to hear the clunk.

I'm investigating GMRS radios more and think I figured out the direction I am going to go. The plan for now is to get a HAM radio that I can MARS mod, that lets me run just 1 radio instead of two since I also have my HAM. I'm going to make my own ARR mount with an aluminum c-channel and U-bolts once I get time to run to home depot later and move my CB there and measure it to run the ICOM as well.

Most people should probably just buy a GMRS, which is more cost effective. However for me, it looks like the ICOM IC-2730A is easy to mod yourself at home.

1619799809315.png

1619799837130.png

1619799858222.png

I finally got the time to rework my garage - used to just have a bunch of junk around the garage and an old workbench. Now:

45B23D35-A9C8-460F-A6B9-3479849E38CA.jpeg

I should probably sell my full doors, they’ve been sitting around for about a year and some change.

Here’s the new bench I’m working to dial in, I still have a ways to go for the junk on the wall and around.

1212C138-9FB6-4E25-903B-5B7F637A4BDC.jpeg

EA605208-9A81-4C16-B68E-01CCB633BF51.jpeg

I have to go down town for some business meetings on my side business and every time I do I get ticketed for not having a front plate by the meter maids. No more, I’m legal again!

I just sandwiched it in the fairlead.

5FBB51BB-B4CE-4A81-A16D-2A9D369C4124.jpeg

I also finally dealt with the rat nest that was my wiring by finally hooking up an Aux fuse block (that’s been under the hood, unused, for a while). Pulled the sub and CB wires off the battery and am going to run one more set for the eventual GMRS addition.

1A81BDCF-0CDB-45D9-8F26-4F4A244DF4DF.jpeg

Last edited:
it’s also new top day! I’ve been waiting for this for a while. Replacing a rampage that I didn’t have much luck on with a bestop, I hope it lives up to the hype. I’ll finish it tomorrow when it’s > 60 so I can get the fabric around the rear driver corner.
03FF33DC-A4C5-4F3C-AF60-DEE8A99D9A22.jpeg

I’ll save my thoughts until after a few miles on it.

Earlier today I ran new antenna lines, one for CB and the other for HAM/GMRS. They trace the sport bar on either side, power will come from the new aux block . My
Old CB will be routed to an ARR knockoff (aluminum C-channel) and the eventual HAM/GMRS will be there too (power and antenna are going to be zip tied until ready).

In the end, this will look clean and nearly invisible.

528F8D80-ABCE-44A8-9A39-D12F5514625E.jpeg

A818107D-50A1-43CC-968A-09A5B3EAD593.jpeg

Earlier today I ran new antenna lines, one for CB and the other for HAM/GMRS. They trace the sport bar on either side, power will come from the new aux block . My
Old CB will be routed to an ARR knockoff (aluminum C-channel) and the eventual HAM/GMRS will be there too (power and antenna are going to be zip tied until ready).

In the end, this will look clean and nearly invisible.

View attachment 250161

View attachment 250162
That's how I ran mine. Works well

Reactions: rasband
I'm investigating GMRS radios more and think I figured out the direction I am going to go. The plan for now is to get a HAM radio that I can MARS mod, that lets me run just 1 radio instead of two since I also have my HAM. I'm going to make my own ARR mount with an aluminum c-channel and U-bolts once I get time to run to home depot later and move my CB there and measure it to run the ICOM as well.

Most people should probably just buy a GMRS, which is more cost effective. However for me, it looks like the ICOM IC-2730A is easy to mod yourself at home.

View attachment 248761
View attachment 248762
View attachment 248763
Exacally what I did, I am happy with the IC-2730.

Is that the MOPAR rock rails? (I have the Unlimited version)

Did that rolled under section of the tub happen with those on?
I’m pulling those off for mini boat sliders :) I don’t know what the unlimited mopar rock rails are worth, but I’ll be cleaning those up to sell this week. They did pretty well though!

nice hardware.

not having the weather to paint is killin me. this wkend is supposed to be better finally.

• Sad
I just re-did my front bumper and had to bring it into the house to paint due to the weather...

View attachment 252182
Did you run out of propane for the garage? I should find the heater we installed in my step-dad's workshop that replaced our propane heaters. His was a similar size (a little less vert) and it did pretty well.

think we got our last white crap last wk, i hope.

i took my rockers into work and shot them with 2 part black epoxy and then a coat of flat black, couple coats of clear matte and they'll be good for the yr.
but next up is the new windshield frame, and i'd rather do that at home,.

think we got our last white crap last wk, i hope.

i took my rockers into work and shot them with 2 part black epoxy and then a coat of flat black, couple coats of clear matte and they'll be good for the yr.
but next up is the new windshield frame, and i'd rather do that at home,.
You're definitely a champ having to fight through the stuff your jeep sees! I'm fairly lazy and just do some self etching primer and a few coats of what I want on the outside on the wear items (bumpers, rockers).