Rocky Mountain Billy Goat Build

Despite

PXL_20220717_145917801.jpg

We were able to get safely to and from a new favorite camp site, far above treeline.

PXL_20220716_153412845.jpg

PXL_20220716_231350827.jpg

PXL_20220716_213007813.jpg

My new auto radiator is here and will be going in before the auto swap this next weekend.

It has begun, we've taken two working jeeps and successfully made neither work.

About 6 hours of work in with the manual mostly ready - out down to the engine and around 2/3rds the wiring pulled.

I found a bad few wires that we will have to fix before the harness is ready for it's new home.

IMG_20220722_214049.jpg

PXL_20220723_004006725.jpg

PXL_20220722_194630588.jpg

are those chew marks in the loom? see marks on the edge of the other looms too, just old and dry or mice with the munchies?

There's not much to show as far as progress, since it's a lot of basic things like wiring. But so far both wiring harnesses are in all the way to the bell housing. The manual flywheel is in.

We patched a decent number of issues in both wiring harnesses and swapped over things like where I relocated the locker pumps.

There was a bit of burnt time working on various ways to get the crank bushing out of the former auto.

Blaine gave us a few heads up things that we navigated, such as swapping the ignition interlock. On the manual it's a switch you hit with your fingers, on the auto it's actuated by the shifter. The auto one, however, has a small piece that could be easy to lose.

Mine should go back together fairly quickly for the parts that need to. Crank bushing, Flex plate, transmission, transfer case, rear DS and gas tank. I'm going to buy another pigtail for my gas tank so I can disconnect it without dropping it - that's a dumb design. Any other things I have to put back in (skids, front DS, etc) I can do at home.

One extra thing I brought in anticipation of this work is p-clamps to rework my fuel lines to place them closer to how I've seen Blaine do on a few builds.

We've been fortunate in a few ways, such as having the in-cab wiring being common. Mine has things like the OD switch and shifter light already, and his has things like the clutch interlock. He wasn't super thrilled when we thought he'd have the fuse delete many of us already do baked in.

Last edited: