Rocky Mountain Billy Goat Build

Along the lines of seeing the foxes later, one of the spherical bearings came apart and has been clicking as the shock shifts in the poly mounts across the misalignment spacers and broken bearing shaft. I figured while I get these all tuned I may as well just swap out the bearings as the shocks come out/in to save later work. I went with FK COM8T since from what I have seen of wear, those tend to do best in other heim locations.

I have a keen skill of rationalizing things, and this is no exception. I could either buy the one set of snapring pliers I need for $50-60, or get a set of all those I would ever need for $160 (two and a half sets of pliers) to replace the channel lock ones that slip a lot. There's a lot to appreciate in the design of these as I look over the tool.

All that to say, all the shock eyelets are getting this upgrade that I mentioned earlier.

🤤

1667884499325.png

1667885083331.png

I finally have a forcing function on my bumper swap along with the hxc upgrades from Ricky - so next up with the weather warming up for a day is getting MB free.

Funny enough, these borrowed Nth hand junk yard shocks are more comfortable than the un-tuned foxes. But they're still not a good shock, unsurprisingly. Granted, they're better than ranchos.

I have a keen skill of rationalizing things, and this is no exception. I could either buy the one set of snapring pliers I need for $50-60, or get a set of all those I would ever need for $160 (two and a half sets of pliers) to replace the channel lock ones that slip a lot. There's a lot to appreciate in the design of these as I look over the tool.

View attachment 374666

This is something I need to invest in as well. My NAPA brand pliers work well but that contraption is a pain to operate.

Last edited:
Reactions: rasband
I need more seat time to fully describe the changes, but tuned shocks are the shit. I could tell an incredible difference between the black tubes up front and the new tune in the rear. Everything is just more pleasant, smaller bumps are mostly gone, larger events are way more controlled. My rears were second hand off an XJ, so I had them do a full rebuild. They found a slight bend in the shaft (I had to use a straight edge to see it) which I assume is from the PO. However I will check it every few months to make sure there isn't anything in my setup that could cause it. I am now into this pair of shocks what a new set would have cost me, just for anyone interested.

I don't understand why anyone that outboards and tunes the rears doesn't also spend the time on the fronts. That leaves a ton on the table. The fronts are heading out Monday.

Feels good man.

200.gif

Last edited:
I need more seat time to fully describe the changes, but tuned shocks are the shit. I could tell an incredible difference between the black tubes up front and the new tune in the rear. Everything is just more pleasant, smaller bumps are mostly gone, larger events are way more controlled. My rears were second hand off an XJ, so I had them do a full rebuild. They found a slight bend in the shaft (I had to use a straight edge to see it) which I assume is from the PO. However I will check it every few months to make sure there isn't anything in my setup that could cause it. I am now into this pair of shocks what a new set would have cost me, just for anyone interested.

I don't understand why anyone that outboards and tunes the rears doesn't also spend the time on the fronts. That leaves a ton on the table. The fronts are heading out Monday.

Feels good man.

View attachment 379728

When the front and rear work together it’s magical