Rocky Wrangler LJ Build

Hey all. I am about to start building my LJ into something usable for on and off road. Much like most everyone, this is also my daily driver. Considerations for things like driving many miles each day/month are real for me but not be all end all limiting factors. I want the Jeep to run solid and dependable without having to continually change parts because of over stressing one component or another. With that all said, here is what I have so far and the direction I am thinking. Please give me input on these things. I value the massive amount of knowledge and experience on this forum.

Here is where I am starting from:

2004 LJ. For those that don't know, it comes with a Dana 44/30 setup with 3.73 gears, 42RLE 4 speed auto trans. When I bought it, Rocky came with 33' tires so it is currently dogged out pretty bad. The transmission is on its last leg. It had a rear main leak and both rear axle seals where leaking. Seems kind of crappy but it's an LJ and I got a great deal on it.

I started with fixing all of the leaks. After about $250 bucks and a few hours in the garage, leaks are all taken care of.

Transmission is about to die and refuses to shift into 4th gear without milking the throttle. Over drive is not really an option with the tire/gear setup currently. I ordered a new to me transmission and it will be installed this week. I stayed with the 42RLE after some bit of research showed a ton of work to re-train the computer etc etc.... So the transmission will be good sometime this week.

Gears are next. I know this is a can of worms as a lot of opinion exists about what gear and tire combo works best. I have not come full circle with this yet but what I do know is that I will be putting 35s on in the next 30 days. So opinion and facts are readily welcomed here. My goal once again is to daily drive this. I have heard that the transmission makes the gearing critical for running 35s and should be 5.13. I was originally going with 4.56 gears but am pulling back a bit now. I was going to use Randy's Ring and Pinion as the supplier and have them installed at a local gear shop. What do y'all think about the ratio???

Now for the fun stuff.......
I have lamented and researched etc etc for a while about the lift, how much, what depth, blah blah blah. Originally I was set on installing a BDS 4.5 inch short arm lift. Recently though, I discovered Metal Cloak. They really seem solid and I can't hardly find a bad review except the one off person that's pissed about some shipping issue etc. I hope they are as good as I have read about because I just gave up a crap load of $$$$. I have to say that I had that feeling of, "Oh man is my wife gonna be pissed" after I gave the credit card number over. Too late now though. Here is what I have coming......

Metal Cloak 3.5 inch ARB short arm lift.
Full MetalCloak tube fender and rocker protection
LED signals.
Also both diff covers from Metal Cloak

I know that doesn't seem like a lot but it is plenty.

After the lift is installed and I can measure the transfer case to pinion I am going to place an order with Tom Woods drive shaft for a SYE and double cardin shaft.

I think the only thing left is the steering. I would love input for this as well as I know it has to improve with the mods being done the stock stuff will never handle it.

What do y'all think?? I'd love the input on any and all of this.

I'll post some pics later tonight of Rocky as he sits right now. I think the transformation will be pretty dramatic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
ARB makes a short arm lift? I've never heard of seen such a thing. Can you post a link?

Your plan sounds great. The ideal gear ratio for 33s on a 42RLE transmission would be either 4.88 or 5.13, no question about it. However, I'd strongly encourage you to go with 5.13 gear as I had 33s with 4.88 gears on my 42RLE, and while it was much better than stock, I wish I would have gone with 5.13s personally.

Reactions: Rocky Wrangler
I could be wrong, but I believe Jerry recommends 5.38 gearing for a 42RLE with 35s...not sure if that is a viable option on a Dana 30, which may be limited to 5.13...

@Chris I'm guessing it's the kit with OME nitrocharger sports.

You may also want to consider a small body lift, around 1" to give those potienal 35's a bit more clearance unless you are also buying Metalcloak fenders. Excited to see the build!

Reactions: Chris
Sounds like a solid plan. 5.13's without hesitation. It is as low as you can run on the Dana 30.

For steering; V8 ZJ conversion if you wanna keep the Mrs. happy, Currie Currectlink if not :D

You should also consider brake upgrades. Black Magic brakes will be the usual rec.

Reactions: tworley
ARB makes a short arm lift? I've never heard of seen such a thing. Can you post a link?

Your plan sounds great. The ideal gear ratio for 33s on a 42RLE transmission would be either 4.88 or 5.13, no question about it. However, I'd strongly encourage you to go with 5.13 gear as I had 33s with 4.88 gears on my 42RLE, and while it was much better than stock, I wish I would have gone with 5.13s personally.

The lift is made by MetalCloak and it has ARB (Old Man Emu) shocks with the kit. Check out their website. I researched it a ton trying to shoot holes in it and just couldn't knock it so I bought it. The only thing negative that I read is that the suspension is really stiff if it is not under a load such as bumpers and a winch, rocker sliders etc... All of these I have or will have so I am not concerned. Current suspension is a rough country that has seen too much rough country. Shock are all blown and all of the other associated issues with a small lift from rough country. The ride will be a definite topic of discussion after the build.

Reactions: tworley
@Chris I'm guessing it's the kit with OME nitrocharger sports.

You may also want to consider a small body lift, around 1" to give those potienal 35's a bit more clearance unless you are also buying Metalcloak fenders. Excited to see the build!

Funny you mention the body lift. I have a JKS 1" body lift as well. I didn't list it initially because I wanted to see how it sits with all of this other stuff. I am going with the MC tube fenders front and rear so it shouldn't be an issue. If it is, I will add the body lift too.

Thanks!!

The lift is made by MetalCloak and it has ARB (Old Man Emu) shocks with the kit. Check out their website. I researched it a ton trying to shoot holes in it and just couldn't knock it so I bought it. The only thing negative that I read is that the suspension is really stiff if it is not under a load such as bumpers and a winch, rocker sliders etc... All of these I have or will have so I am not concerned. Current suspension is a rough country that has seen too much rough country. Shock are all blown and all of the other associated issues with a small lift from rough country. The ride will be a definite topic of discussion after the build.

Ohhh... You mean the MetalCloak lift with the ARB shocks. Your original post says, "3.5 inch ARB short arm lift", so I was confused since I didn't read MetalCloak in there.

Yes, the MetalCloak lift is pretty well known for being a heavy load lift (meaning armor, bumpers, heavy spare, etc.). If you have all that stuff you're fine.

Rough Country is complete crap, so anything will be an improvement over that, hands down!

Reactions: Rocky Wrangler
Sounds like a solid plan. 5.13's without hesitation. It is as low as you can run on the Dana 30.

For steering; V8 ZJ conversion if you wanna keep the Mrs. happy, Currie Currectlink if not :D

You should also consider brake upgrades. Black Magic brakes will be the usual rec.

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. I know the brakes will need an upgrade as well but unless it stops stopping......It will have to wait until after Christmas.

IMG_4169.JPG
IMG_4171.JPG
IMG_4172.JPG
IMG_4174.JPG
So this is Rocky before any upgrades or mods.

Metal Cloak said it would take about 2-3 weeks for the parts to come in. I can't wait!!!

So here is what I found...... Seems like a fair price if it's the right one....

???

upload_2018-10-9_9-44-17.png

Reactions: JMT
Yep thats the one. Its massive compared to stock or even the ZJ setup.

I get my LJ back from the gear shop today. I went by yesterday to check progress and got to really inspect the guts of the axles. Also got a really good view of the under side of the jeep.

It will be pretty awesome to get the suspension upgrade done in the next few days.

I do have a question about the suspension install.

I am installing a short arm lift. When I am setting up the upper and lower control arms, do they get set at the same length that is on the existing stock upper and lower control arms? Same questions for the front and rear track bars.

I'm just trying to get this all right in my head before I gut the current suspension.

Thanks y'all!!