Roll bar padding

Goatman

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Anyone else get all "Charles Manson" over that crappy zipper on foam? Dont know why. That poof of deteriorating foam every time you touch it? The way when you grab the roll bar for support and the nylon just slips and spins under your grip? What kills you guys the most?

I need to remove mine to wash them, other than that they seem fine. How much of a pain is it to remove them and wash?

I need to remove mine to wash them, other than that they seem fine. How much of a pain is it to remove them and wash?

Do you have the speaker pods? If so, you'll need to remove the top to get to the screws that hold them on.

Aside from that, remove the seat belts (10-15 minutes) and unzip the padding. I zipped mine back up for washing and put them in on a delicate wash cycle and air dried them. They did not stretch or shrink. For being 15 years old, they look like new.

Reactions: JMT and wildbill
Must be neurotic. Or just old. I seem to like the way the CJ7 looks, or as I remember the way it looked. Though I remember just how "firm" they road.

Back in the day, I cut black foam pipe insulation to fit, and wrapped with tape. That was on a CJ though. I also had a big three way home stereo speaker hanging from the roll bar with rubber straps. :)

My TJ has no roll bar padding. Rather than look for used stock padding/covers, is there a recommendation for aftermarket padding product, something people have had good luck with? Maybe there is an upgraded foam padding without the zipper covers.

Is there a reason you would want the padding on the rollbar? Other than looks? It doesn't seem thick enough to actually do some good if you bounce your head off of it. Is it?

Is there a reason you would want the padding on the rollbar? Other than looks? It doesn't seem thick enough to actually do some good if you bounce your head off of it. Is it?

Not sure about the stock padding/covers, but the pipe foam I used in the past did provide some protection from knocking into the bars. My teenage son is driving the TJ a lot with various kids getting into the back seat an all, so I figure some rollbar padding might be a good idea.

One thing I've been doing to stop the TJ hardtop from banging down on the unpadded rollbar, is put a section of pipe foam between the rollbar and hardtop. Otherwise while driving, the top is knocking down on the bar. So I figure, if I install roll bar padding, that issue will be addressed as well.

Back in the day, I cut black foam pipe insulation to fit, and wrapped with tape. That was on a CJ though. I also had a big three way home stereo speaker hanging from the roll bar with rubber straps. :)

First thing that popped into my head
6952EA49-4E88-4871-8D0F-CF12C14204A9.jpeg
9C8730A5-1709-44AE-84A6-E32E0F5C5F0F.jpeg