Roll bar roof rack

Torpedo01

Sorry if this has been asked but I searched and couldn’t find anything. I ride with the soft top down about 99% of the time and was wondering if anyone made a roof rack that just mounted to the roll bars. Seems easy enough and should be real sturdy but I can’t find anything anywhere.

Sorry if this has been asked but I searched and couldn’t find anything. I ride with the soft top down about 99% of the time and was wondering if anyone made a roof rack that just mounted to the roll bars. Seems easy enough and should be real sturdy but I can’t find anything anywhere.
What type of roof rack? you can tie down to your roll bar and to the hood footman with windshield header as support.
Or use big fuck off zip ties to hold a roof basket to your main roll bar and to the windshield centre footman loop and with a ratchet strap over and under your side roll bars just like a soft rack is fitted that way you can just cut the zip ties and remove the roof basket. Too bad if you want the top up and basket is on when you are away from home :)

For my CJ-7 I used a small Con-Ferr roof rack over the rear seats, bolted to brackets welded to the roll cage.

Rubicon2000-1.jpg

I still have it sitting by the side of the garage "just in case" I might need it again, along with an old High Lift that was never used.

Small Conferr Rack.jpg

If I were doing it today, I would either use Yakima mounts and two round bars or I would investigate roll bar clamps such as products from http://fourtreks.com and other suppliers, and bolt the roof rack to those.

NEWPERP3.jpg

As for the roof rack itself, figure out the dimensions that work for your roll bar and start googling roof racks and roof baskets.

This company claims to be making Con-Ferr style roof racks: https://www.diamondrax.com/roof-racks

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, super helpful responses. I should be able to put something together now! My immediate need was just for a Christmas tree that I was taking on the highway but just tying it to the roll bars worked fine, didn’t budge. I do plan on putting a cargo rack up top though in the near future!