Rolling creaking / squeak sound

ThomasFletch

Hello everyone, I need some help in identifying a rolling creak/squeaking noise. I've replaced both wheel bearings and removed the front driveshaft to eliminate the chance of it being the U-Joints or the double cardon joint. I have also replaced the rear drive shaft u-joints not too long ago as well, and just replaced my front and rear brakes. Another possibility was a warped rotor, but looking up the symptoms, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Here is the sound:

Sounds like some rubber that needs to be greased. I'd start looking at control arm bushings.

Will do. Any brands you recommend @Chris?

Also nice to finally "meet" you so to speak! This website has been a huge help throughout my ownership, so I just wanted to thank you.

You’re very welcome! If it ends up being the control arms my recommendations would be based of whether it’s lifted or not. Is it lifted or stock height?

That doesn't sound like control arm bushings took me. The squeak is consistent and sounds like it's occurring as something is rotating. Doesn't sound like a U joint either. It sounds like it's coming from something either on the axle shafts, driveshafts, or output shafts of t case. Possibly the brake dust shield.

Does the sound increase with increased speed?

You could go either way then.

You could just get a set of factory replacement control arms, in which case these work great:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MPVWEBY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Or you could go with an adjustable control arm at which point I'd ask you how much you want to spend and what you primarily intend on using the vehicle for.

I went ahead and ordered some Moog control arms, as this is my daily driver. I tend to use it for moderate to light trail use, so the stock arms would be fine. Regardless if the sound is caused by them or not, It was way past time to replace them as when I crawled under there they were completely shot.

That doesn't sound like control arm bushings took me. The squeak is consistent and sounds like it's occurring as something is rotating. Doesn't sound like a U joint either. It sounds like it's coming from something either on the axle shafts, driveshafts, or output shafts of t case. Possibly the brake dust shield.

Does the sound increase with increased speed?

The sound does increase with speed, yes. I could get more video if that would help you discern what it could be. Would the brake dust shield be inside the axle itself, or is it the ones that attach to the shafts themselves?

Reactions: Chris
The problem has been solved! I think it was a multitude of things upon inspecting everything. Checking the control arms per @Chris, they were totally shot. I replaced them, (huge pain) and the sound has seemingly stopped. However, I did want to mention that on the test drive, I found that there was still a slight sound when I would brake, so when I got home, I checked the brakes again. Remembering what @hosejockey61 had said, I checked the brake dust shield. Wouldn't you know it, it was touching the rotor on the passenger side. Bending it back and taking it for another test drive, no sound!

That being said, I'm not totally convinced it was just one sound. Honestly, I'm pretty sure that it was actually two sounds, rather than one, caused by either the U-Joints, brakes, or control arms.

All in all, to whoever reads this in the future with the same problem, (or me in the future after I forget what I did): if you do end up replacing the control arms, make sure that you buy the separate bushings for the upper front ones, as they are not included when buying new ones. Luckily, mine were somehow in ok enough shape to reuse them (or I was just so fed up with doing it I settled) so I didn't need to replace them.

20220901_122246.jpg

The problem has been solved! I think it was a multitude of things upon inspecting everything. Checking the control arms per @Chris, they were totally shot. I replaced them, (huge pain) and the sound has seemingly stopped. However, I did want to mention that on the test drive, I found that there was still a slight sound when I would brake, so when I got home, I checked the brakes again. Remembering what @hosejockey61 had said, I checked the brake dust shield. Wouldn't you know it, it was touching the rotor on the passenger side. Bending it back and taking it for another test drive, no sound!

That being said, I'm not totally convinced it was just one sound. Honestly, I'm pretty sure that it was actually two sounds, rather than one, caused by either the U-Joints, brakes, or control arms.

All in all, to whoever reads this in the future with the same problem, (or me in the future after I forget what I did): if you do end up replacing the control arms, make sure that you buy the separate bushings for the upper front ones, as they are not included when buying new ones. Luckily, mine were somehow in ok enough shape to reuse them (or I was just so fed up with doing it I settled) so I didn't need to replace them.

View attachment 356646

If you like youboob channels, look at BFH Garage. Dude has a face for radio but has very good content on working on your Jeep.

View attachment 356646

This is great news! Glad you fixed it. I had a feeling it was a multitude of things. I know those control arm bushings can get awfully obnoxious though.

Update: My Jeep loves to keep me on my toes.

I just came back from a weeklong trip, excited to get back to my non-squeaking jeep and take it around town and to the mountains, only to find the squeaking sound returned. :')

On top of this, the CEL was illuminated with code P0421, and there is a rattle on startup. I have no idea if either of these are related to the squeaking sound. I think it may be the pre-cat on bank 1 going bad, but the code cleared itself. The rattling is still there, however. (See attached, and let me know if anyone needs another take)

At this point, I surrender. I am taking it to a trusted mechanic and having them give it a once over. If anyone has any ideas in the meantime, please let me know. Otherwise, I will update after the once over.

(Also, thank you, @RINC, for the recommendation!)

Rattle:

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC
Update: My Jeep loves to keep me on my toes.

I just came back from a weeklong trip, excited to get back to my non-squeaking jeep and take it around town and to the mountains, only to find the squeaking sound returned. :')

On top of this, the CEL was illuminated with code P0421, and there is a rattle on startup. I have no idea if either of these are related to the squeaking sound. I think it may be the pre-cat on bank 1 going bad, but the code cleared itself. The rattling is still there, however. (See attached, and let me know if anyone needs another take)

At this point, I surrender. I am taking it to a trusted mechanic and having them give it a once over. If anyone has any ideas in the meantime, please let me know. Otherwise, I will update after the once over.

(Also, thank you, @RINC, for the recommendation!)

Rattle:
View attachment 359234

How many miles are on it ?

All I can hear in that video clip is the beeping sound. Very short clip to try and decipher. Does the noise go away after start up? Does it happen both when parked and when moving? Grinding? Squeaking? chirping?

Edit: I went back to the first post and still think it's a rotational noise. In this last clip you just started it indicating it wasn't moving.

Help us help you!

I will for sure ask when I get it looked at. I completely agree with you, but I just don't want either of us to be right in order to save money lol

Oh I know it’s hard to spend money on something that doesn’t make it look better- I’ve had to do them twice and I had to clear it seems more common on 05-06 models but people tell me that the durability is all the same of the catalytic converter

You can use a hand held thermometer to tell if they are actually changing the exhaust temperature

All I can hear in that video clip is the beeping sound. Very short clip to try and decipher. Does the noise go away after start up? Does it happen both when parked and when moving? Grinding? Squeaking? chirping?

Edit: I went back to the first post and still think it's a rotational noise. In this last clip you just started it indicating it wasn't moving.

Help us help you!
@hosejockey61 It is more of a rattle only at start up, and is usually worse on a cold start. It sounds like it is coming from right in front of the driver side. However, since it is not really related to my thread title, I'll probably make another thread if the problem keeps persisting after my once over.

As for the other sound, it is a rolling squeak, just like the one in my initial post. But of course, after driving it again, the sound goes and comes as it pleases. When it happened recently though, it would go away with braking…

Oh I know it’s hard to spend money on something that doesn’t make it look better- I’ve had to do them twice and I had to clear it seems more common on 05-06 models but people tell me that the durability is all the same of the catalytic converter

You can use a hand held thermometer to tell if they are actually changing the exhaust temperature

I had used a live diagnostic obdII code reader when driving, and the voltage on the downstream of bank 1 was really low. But then after driving for about 30 minutes, it seemed to go back to normal, and then the code cleared itself the next day.

@hosejockey61 It is more of a rattle only at start up, and is usually worse on a cold start. It sounds like it is coming from right in front of the driver side. However, since it is not really related to my thread title, I'll probably make another thread if the problem keeps persisting after my once over.

As for the other sound, it is a rolling squeak, just like the one in my initial post. But of course, after driving it again, the sound goes and comes as it pleases. When it happened recently though, it would go away with braking…

I had used a live diagnostic obdII code reader when driving, and the voltage on the downstream of bank 1 was really low. But then after driving for about 30 minutes, it seemed to go back to normal, and then the code cleared itself the next day.

I would suspect a cat may be broken loose and moving around in there- Unless you have a PCM doing something funny with the voltage delivery-

It would be interesting to know if the code comes back fairly soon or if anything else pops up-