Roof Top Awnings

EJD

TJ Overlander
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I recently added a Yakima SlimShady Roof Top Awning to my setup and I have to say, I really love it!

The RTA is not exactly a common item found on a TJ, and usually found next to a RTT. However I am out and about very often exploring and this gives me the opportunity to have a little base camp wherever we are whether we are at the beach or overlanding somewhere. It only takes a couple minutes if that to deploy and pack up. Very simple, low profile, and lightweight. This particular one matches my existing roof rack and mounts perfectly, its is also 10lbs lighter than its ARB and SB competitors. Though they all seem to be of very similar quality for anyone interested.

Anyways, here it is!

IMG_8116.JPG
IMG_8074.JPG
IMG_8080.JPG
IMG_8089.JPG

Also makes exploring with an Infant a little more doable and fun too!
Anyone else running one of these?

Last edited:
How is the hard top holding up with the added weight?
Good question. It's holding up really well so far, and I trail it up quite a bit too. No signs of any wear on anything and its still as solid as the day I installed it. No leaks, cracks, or anything!

One of the main reasons I went with the Yakima RTA was because it weighs 15lbs. The ARB and Smittybilt ones of roughly the same size weigh in at 35lbs and 26lbs. I always try to be conscious of the weight i'm running up top, and distribute it as evenly as possible. If I had an external rack, I would consider the ARB because they have some bigger sizes and you know they're quality.

For me another reason for the Yakima was that it seamlessly integrates with my base rack and my wife's rack ;). You know what I mean.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Good question. It's holding up really well so far, and I trail it up quite a bit too. No signs of any wear on anything and its still as solid as the day I installed it. No leaks, cracks, or anything!

One of the main reasons I went with the Yakima RTA was because it weighs 15lbs. The ARB and Smittybilt ones of roughly the same size weigh in at 35lbs and 26lbs. I always try to be conscious of the weight i'm running up top, and distribute it as evenly as possible. If I had an external rack, I would consider the ARB because they have some bigger sizes and you know they're quality.

For me another reason for the Yakima was that it seamlessly integrates with my base rack and my wife's rack ;). You know what I mean.
:-o