Roof Top Tent (RTT) Questions

I can set up camp with a ground tent and then leave. Something that is a little harder to do with a RTT. Plus, unnecessary weight when wheeling. Also just being in the way. I wouldnt have made it thru this with an RTT

View attachment 190322View attachment 190323
No, you wouldn't have, but you would with something like this
74C8F0D8-E039-46AC-B73A-186B857759FF.jpeg

He seems level headed and makes good videos, he also has lots of friends that seem to try everything so if he’s using it there’s probably a good reason. He’s also the main guy behind E3 overland.

My concern is he does have some favoritism when it comes to some companies that he deals with.
I agree with everything you said and would like to add one more, he seems to have a large amount of disposable income, not a criticism, more envy than anything........ But he has a really well built JK, a JT, a JL, and up until recently a pretty expensive Patriot trailer.........

I agree with everything you said and would like to add one more, he seems to have a large amount of disposable income, not a criticism, more envy than anything........ But he has a really well built JK, a JT, a JL, and up until recently a pretty expensive Patriot trailer.........
The trailer was loaned to him. YouTube is a business for him, vehicles are business expenses. And I agree I’m sure he’s doing pretty well with YouTube and E3Overland.

Reactions: Randun
The RTT on my trailer is a CVT, I bought it used and had it shipped via Fastenal from Colorado to Virginia for $200. It is the biggest tent they make (I did not want that but I got a really good deal on it). It is a) very heavy (225#) b) really big, too big for the roof of pretty much any Jeep c) has a king size memory foam mattress in it that is verrryyy comfortable.
Down sides to RTT specifically, climbing a ladder with out shoes is a version of chinese torture. Mine specifically is pretty heavy, my wife can not set it up by herself. If you buy new they can be pretty pricey, good news is patience and perseverance are your friend, you can find them used and in good shape.
Up sides to RTT, they keep you off the ground, if it rains there is very little chance of you and your stuff getting flooded. Being off the ground the views at sunrise can be really spectacular (no low brush blocking your view...).
Making the tent "sleepable" is faster than a ground tent because the bedding all stays in place, once the RTT is unfolded it is "open for business", even more so if you use an air mattress in your ground tent.........
The fold out portion is a good place to store stuff you want to keep out of the weather, you can put whatever under the folded out portion for storage, or you can have an annex to make it an additional room (I have this but it is pretty heavy, it is approximately 6'x6' though.....).

The trailer was loaned to him. YouTube is a business for him, vehicles are business expenses. And I agree I’m sure he’s doing pretty well with YouTube and E3Overland.
I don't think it was loaned to him, his friend Marcos now has it behind his JK, and he has altered his JK's paint to match the trailer.....????

I don't think it was loaned to him, his friend Marcos now has it behind his JK, and he has altered his JK's paint to match the trailer.....????
I haven’t watched recently but I’m guessing Marco bought it from the trailer company (was thinking out of Oklahoma) that loaned it to Brad. Kind of like a lease buyout but I don’t think Brad paid anything.

He seems level headed and makes good videos, he also has lots of friends that seem to try everything so if he’s using it there’s probably a good reason. He’s also the main guy behind E3 overland.

My concern is he does have some favoritism when it comes to some companies that he deals with.
Great opinions!

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know.

Reactions: Apparition
Thank you so much for your opinions! I really appreciate it.

The RTT on my trailer is a CVT, I bought it used and had it shipped via Fastenal from Colorado to Virginia for $200. It is the biggest tent they make (I did not want that but I got a really good deal on it). It is a) very heavy (225#) b) really big, too big for the roof of pretty much any Jeep c) has a king size memory foam mattress in it that is verrryyy comfortable.
Down sides to RTT specifically, climbing a ladder with out shoes is a version of chinese torture. Mine specifically is pretty heavy, my wife can not set it up by herself. If you buy new they can be pretty pricey, good news is patience and perseverance are your friend, you can find them used and in good shape.
Up sides to RTT, they keep you off the ground, if it rains there is very little chance of you and your stuff getting flooded. Being off the ground the views at sunrise can be really spectacular (no low brush blocking your view...).
Making the tent "sleepable" is faster than a ground tent because the bedding all stays in place, once the RTT is unfolded it is "open for business", even more so if you use an air mattress in your ground tent.........
The fold out portion is a good place to store stuff you want to keep out of the weather, you can put whatever under the folded out portion for storage, or you can have an annex to make it an additional room (I have this but it is pretty heavy, it is approximately 6'x6' though.....).
Thank you so much for your time and your help on this. You have such good incite! I love it.

Other then your tent being on the heavy side, is there anything else that you dislike about it?