Roof Top Tent (RTT) Questions

Randun

TJ Enthusiast
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum, and I'm so glad to be apart of it.

I have a question for all of you that will listen. :)

I'm thinking about getting a roof top tent (RTT). Do any of you have one? If so, what are the pros and cons of a RTT?

Thank you all so much for your time and your help!

I can set up camp with a ground tent and then leave. Something that is a little harder to do with a RTT. Plus, unnecessary weight when wheeling. Also just being in the way. I wouldnt have made it thru this with an RTT

Screenshot_20200916-162516_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200916-162455_Chrome.jpg

I can set up camp with a ground tent and then leave. Something that is a little harder to do with a RTT. Plus, unnecessary weight when wheeling. Also just being in the way. I wouldnt have made it thru this with an RTT

View attachment 190322View attachment 190323
Personally I wouldn’t want one on my Jeep. I have been impressed with the quality and design of my Smittybilt Overlander.

DFFC8245-B220-4D23-B4DA-88806E1FFF1F.jpeg

Based on input from @Apparition I started looking at the Smittybuilt RTT. I was surprised to find numerous extremely positive references and reviews of it. This is one of the few times I've seen any Smittybuilt product consistently characterized in an overall good way. It's on my short list, when I do finally pull the trigger!

https://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-rooftop-tents

I’m gonna build a tear drop trailer camper next year. I purchased a aluminum utility trailer and I am going to convert it. For me I will be most likely driving to camp grounds, dropping off the trailer and then going wheeling. I wouldn’t like the extra weight and height of a roof top tent on my Jeep when wheeling. If you do look for a roof top tent keep weight in mind.

3F5A3E8A-4AB9-44C7-A423-5EC54AFEEDED.jpeg

Another option for people interested in overlanding. I joined the E3 overland program and there’s quite a bit of information there to help people learn the different aspects of it.

I don’t overland but signed up anyway. It’s not cheap but some of the discounts offered can save you a years worth of your membership in one shot, if you are able to take advantage of the deals.

Reactions: Randun

View attachment 190322View attachment 190323
Great points! I love your feedback.

Thank you so much for your time and what a cool rig you have!

Really depends on how, where, and what type of wheeling/camping you plan on doing. If you still think it's a good idea, then maybe do some research on an overlanding site for best setup.
I agree with you, and thank you so much for your opinion!

I typically stick to local trips when I go off-roading and camping. Sometimes I go down to Baja too.

I have been doing a lot of reserch on different over-landing sites too. However, I really like this forum. The people are so nice and have great incite on everything.

Based on input from @Apparition I started looking at the Smittybuilt RTT. I was surprised to find numerous extremely positive references and reviews of it. This is one of the few times I've seen any Smittybuilt product consistently characterized in an overall good way. It's on my short list, when I do finally pull the trigger!

https://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-rooftop-tents
Thank you so much for getting back to me.

I have been looking at those too! They have some great reviews that I have seen.

The other company that I have been looking at a lot is Tuff Stuff Overland. I really like what I have been seeing and hearing about their products.

Good luck on whatever you choose, and thank you again so much for your opinions.

Reactions: Irun
I’m gonna build a tear drop trailer camper next year. I purchased a aluminum utility trailer and I am going to convert it. For me I will be most likely driving to camp grounds, dropping off the trailer and then going wheeling. I wouldn’t like the extra weight and height of a roof top tent on my Jeep when wheeling. If you do look for a roof top tent keep weight in mind.

View attachment 190464
Thank you so much for getting back to me and for your great ideas!

Tear drop trailers are beautiful! I have seen those in the past at a couple of overland shows that I have attended.

Thank you for also reminding me about the height and the weight. Those are two very important factors.

Another option for people interested in overlanding. I joined the E3 overland program and there’s quite a bit of information there to help people learn the different aspects of it.

I don’t overland but signed up anyway. It’s not cheap but some of the discounts offered can save you a years worth of your membership in one shot, if you are able to take advantage of the deals.
Thank you so much for getting back to me and for the tip on the E3 overland program. I will check that out.

Roofnest

https://roofnest.com/store/

ikamper

https://www.ikamper.com/
these are two of the best Hard shell RTT on the market I personally like the Roofnest Condor XL
Thank you so much for your opinions! I really appreciate it.

I have been reviewing both of those too.

The brand that has seem to stick out to me the most lately in my reserch is Tuff Stuff Overland. I really like their Alpha. Have you seen that one?

Thank you so much for getting back to me.

What a beautiful set up you have!

What do you like about the Smittybilt Overlander? Anything that you don't like about it?
The quality is very good, when you use it you realize they hit a lot of details such as interior light, a PowerPoint in tent, the way it folds, Velcro vs zipper cover...

The thing I don’t like is I don’t think the ladder on mine is quite right (it works fine though) and the other thing is the shoe bag doesn’t work well with the annex, you can hang the bag on the ladder or simply keep it in the tent.