Rotopax

Rick Flair

Domari Nolo
Supporting Member
Added a few to our overland rig today.

Worked out good.

Just 2-2 gallon tanks. But another 60 miles. Made the mounts myself, much cheaper than rotopax mounts.
934C1CF6-CC54-4D0A-B59E-1933648A915C.jpeg

looks great! Many uses too. Water, first aid, tool box, etc.

I had to switch out. Here in kali, it’s $300 or $500 per can that is not verified if it has gasoline in them. No more metal Jerry cans.

at first it chapped me. Now I like the setup.

Pretty cool overland style vehicle!

I had to switch out. Here in kali, it’s $300 or $500 per can that is not verified if it has gasoline in them. No more metal Jerry cans.

Thanks!

Rotopax is much quieter than my metal Jerry can in a metal mount bouncing down the trail.

Somehow punctured a water rotopax At TJFest while packed in the back of the Jeep so they aren’t indestructible. Tiny little pinch did it.

Rotopax is much quieter than my metal Jerry can in a metal mount bouncing down the trail.

Somehow punctured a water rotopax At TJFest while packed in the back of the Jeep so they aren’t indestructible. Tiny little pinch did it.

Yeah I acquired a new Spector NATO gas can. I only got one due to the rides size restriction (friend was in Canada and I asked if he grab me one) and it is beyond durable!!! Makes the rotopax toy like. I didn’t want that big bastard on the roof.

Reactions: WSS and Apparition
I have two 3gl cans to take on the long weekend trips. Otherwise I run a 2gl gas and a 2gl water for day trips. I run them on the headache rack on my f150 too. I have a first aid rotopax but have trimmed it down to fit in the cab. I like the usability. I can even double stack the 2gl profile.

So you can’t use Jerry cans in kali?
I was told twice not to have gas in my metal jerry cans in the NF here in Kali. I think it was a 300 or 500 dollar fine per can with fuel. I tried to verify, but like lots of laws here, I could not find a code or ordinance stating this. The best I could find was a ca dot rule about the nozzle and the can being able to "permeate", probably similar to the cow fart code.

Reactions: Rick Flair
. . . I had to switch out. Here in kali, . . . No more metal Jerry cans.

Are you saying no more metal jerry cans in California? If so, are you sure that is the case?

Or are you just saying no more metal jerry cans for you regardless of whether you are in California?

Wavian steel NATO style cans are currently sold over the counter at many locations in California and routinely shipped to California addresses.

See, e.g.
https://expeditionexchange.com/shop...-with-epacarb-spout-and-unleaded-adapter-3008
Amazon also ships steel NATO style fuel cans to California. I purchased a pair of Wavian 20l cans in February 2021 and had them shipped to my home in NorCal.

BTW, California's jerry can regulations only apply to sale and distribution and not to the end user. It is not illegal for a private individual to own and use non-CARB compliant jerry cans in California.

My jerry cans are shown below, a steel Wavian NATO style can for gasoline and a plastic Wavian water can. The can is CARB compliant because it was sold with a CARB compliant spout. I don't use the spout. A super siphon with the can still in place is more efficient.

Jerry Cans 2.jpg

Last edited:
Are you saying no more metal jerry cans in California? If so, are you sure that is the case?

Or are you just saying no more metal jerry cans for you regardless of whether you are in California?

Wavian steel NATO style cans are currently sold over the counter at many locations in California and routinely shipped to California addresses.

See, e.g.
https://expeditionexchange.com/shop...-with-epacarb-spout-and-unleaded-adapter-3008
Amazon also ships steel NATO style fuel cans to California. I purchased a pair of Wavian 20l cans in February 2021 and had them shipped to my home in NorCal.

BTW, California's jerry can regulations only apply to sale and distribution and not to the end user. It is not illegal for a private individual to own and use non-CARB compliant jerry cans in California.

My jerry cans are shown below, a steel Wavian NATO style can for gasoline and a plastic Wavian water can. The can is CARB compliant because it was sold with a CARB compliant spout. I don't use the spout. A super siphon with the can still in place is more efficient.

View attachment 260043
If they are not carb/epa approved, not allowed at least in the AQMD region of California. Metal or otherwise. As I understand it, no AQMD submission and no approval. The WWII cans (and the copies) are not approved. The nato cans with the carb stamp have been deemed compliant, and are allowed for us to use. I preferred to go the rotopax route. Glad I did. I like to do my part for the environment and government pay checks. 🤔

I do the same with a super siphon on mine. Easy, leave the can in place.

Reactions: Rick Flair