Rotopax

I was told twice not to have gas in my metal jerry cans in the NF here in Kali. I think it was a 300 or 500 dollar fine per can with fuel. I tried to verify, but like lots of laws here, I could not find a code or ordinance stating this. The best I could find was a ca dot rule about the nozzle and the can being able to "permeate", probably similar to the cow fart code.

That is odd.

Here is a USFS webpage showing a Blitz metal jerry can with CARB spout as approved for use by the Forest Service itself, supplying the California address for McMaster-Carr as an approved source.

https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/fueltran/sources/gascans/carbjerr/index.htm
I think someone misinformed you.

Reactions: Rick Flair
That is odd.

Here is a USFS webpage showing a Blitz metal jerry can with CARB spout as approved for use by the Forest Service itself, supplying the California address for McMaster-Carr as an approved source.

https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/fueltran/sources/gascans/carbjerr/index.htm
I think someone misinformed you.
I read that. In fact have that same page bookmarked from my research. It lists the requirements but not the penalty for not meeting the requirements. Again, I could not find anything stating a penalty, fine, code or ordinance once I heard this. I was told this by an employee at the big5 in big bear when I was getting my forest pass. The following month a guy behind me on the trail said he hoped I did not have any fuel in my cans and repeated the same thing. I took notice in the second kind gesture.

If they are not carb/epa approved, not allowed at least in the AQMD region of California. Metal or otherwise. As I understand it, no AQMD submission and no approval. The WWII cans (and the copies) are not approved. The nato cans with the carb stamp have been deemed compliant, and are allowed for us to use. I preferred to go the rotopax route. Glad I did. I like to do my part for the environment and government pay checks. 🤔

The laws concerning portable fuel containers (jerry cans) regulate distribution and sale but do not apply to the end user. You cannot be cited for possessing a non-CARB approved can, but you can be cited for trying to sell one.

The current law has been the law in California for many years; the relevant statutes have not been amended since 2017 and those amendments did not outlaw possession or use of metal jerry cans. I suspect that those telling you otherwise have never actually read the statute and are not familiar with how it actually reads. It is an Internet myth that has persisted for years.

The reason you couldn't find a penalty for private use of a metal jerry can in California is because there isn't one.

Last edited:
I read that. In fact have that same page bookmarked from my research. It lists the requirements but not the penalty for not meeting the requirements. Again, I could not find anything stating a penalty, fine, code or ordinance once I heard this. I was told this by an employee at the big5 in big bear when I was getting my forest pass. The following month a guy behind me on the trail said he hoped I did not have any fuel in my cans and repeated the same thing. I took notice in the second kind gesture. Interesting that blitz is approved.
The laws concerning portable fuel containers (jerry cans) regulate distribution and sale but do not apply to the end user. You cannot be cited for possessing a non-CARB approved can, but you can be cited for trying to sell one. That is an Internet myth that has persisted for years.

The current law has been the law in California for many years; the relevant statutes have not been amended since 2017 and those amendments did not outlaw possession or use of metal jerry cans. I suspect that those telling you otherwise have never actually read the statute and are not familiar with how it actually reads.
Probably true. I did not want to be the example. It was in 2017 that this was a thing too. I was under the impression there had been some tickets issued. It would require a trip to court though. I try to avoid those.

There were no tickets, just rumors of tickets perpetrated primarily by Internet Chicken Littles.

What statute or ordinance number was the officer or ranger going to write on the ticket?

Personally, I just smile and sign when handed a ticket with bogus grounds. The entertainment doesn't really begin until you get to the courthouse and put the cop on the stand and ask him to cite the statute that so far no one has been able to find.

No guts, no glory. :)

Ranger Rick .jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Plumber1
There were no tickets, just rumors of tickets perpetrated primarily by Internet Chicken Littles.

What statute or ordinance number was the officer or ranger going to write on the ticket?

Personally, I just smile and sign when handed a ticket with bogus grounds. The entertainment doesn't really begin until you get to the courthouse and put the cop on the stand and ask him to cite the statute that so far no one has been able to find.

No guts, no glory. :)

View attachment 260048
It seems to have been just that. The only difference was I heard it close to the source, on the trail. I still have the cans, they are in great shape. I use them around the shop now.