Rotting windshield frame removal on 2005 TJ

Jumboneil

I know this has probably been covered to death, but here are a few photos of the removal/replace of the windscreen frame that I undertook for the first time…I drilled out the 6 torx screws that attached the hinge to the screen frame (the hinges are still in good shape), cleaned up the lower screen gasket and all corrosion and the new screen frame bolted in easily with the new torx screws I had at the ready….everything injected with Krown Rust protection….cost of a new painted frame was about 700 Cdn. and pack of torx bolts about 55 dollars….I will get new glass installed at a local shop so everything starts fresh…I’ve had this Jeep from new, so I’m in the midst of doing a few repair/replace jobs…..
2A900933-627A-4675-A864-9FBC92A0F64F.jpeg
5847901B-4EBD-4EF0-AA49-6DB52F705BFA.jpeg

0CB4FDC1-AE32-431D-B4E9-86C0EA7281AD.jpeg

D5B2BFFE-62AD-451C-AAFC-750EA2401ECB.jpeg

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
And the fit was good? Seems like the consensus on the forum is to try and find a part out because of figment issues. But I’m striking out and this seems like a good solution. Did you treat the bottom with anything to prevent rust in the future?
I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. I just got it a couple of days ago, because I was striking out as well. I'm hoping to test fit it in the next couple of weeks before taking it to my painter. I'll let you know how it goes.

The frame from Partify here in Canada was a good fit, a couple of pilot holes out of place for the inner plastic trim that fits on the posts….I just drilled out the correct holes, no big deal. In terms of rust protection, I sprayed within the new frame with Krown Rust protection and I reckon it’s probably a prudent idea to roll the window frame down each season to have a look and top up spray that area also with some sort of Rust protection….

Has anyone figured out why the later-TJ windshield frames rot out while the earlier ones tend not to? My 2000, despite living in the heart of the rust belt and next to the ocean, has a perfectly fine windshield frame.

Nice, I just ordered my frame replacement last week from 4wheelparts. I'm not even sure what brand I'm getting and really hoping it goes together ok.

For the glass did you just take the old window frame and new frame into a shop and they did it? Something like an auto apple glass?

My motivation for getting the windshield frame (beyond needing it lol), is my windshield glass has a pretty bad crack in it, and getting worse. Mine will be painted and installed, then I'll take it to my local glass guy, and he will install a new windshield for $175.

Has anyone figured out why the later-TJ windshield frames rot out while the earlier ones tend not to? My 2000, despite living in the heart of the rust belt and next to the ocean, has a perfectly fine windshield frame.
Same experience, my 99 had the frame welded on but the windshield frame was mint, my 05 is pretty clean the inside of the frame is nearly rust free and there’s hardly any surface rust anywhere but the windshield frame is starting to rust and the fenders have rot in that typical spot but that isn’t exclusive to the newer ones.

Nice, I just ordered my frame replacement last week from 4wheelparts. I'm not even sure what brand I'm getting and really hoping it goes together ok.

For the glass did you just take the old window frame and new frame into a shop and they did it? Something like an auto apple glass?

I replaced mine last fall and it was a pretty straight forward job. I bought a new frame at Extreme Auto Parts ( http://www.extremeparts.ca/catalog/jeep ) in Toronto which is where I got my front fenders too. Everything fit fine. I painted as many of the parts as I could with 4 or 5 coats while they were off of my LJ.

As for the glass, I waited for a "nice cold day" and drove it to Speedy Glass here in town. I didn't want to risk scratching the paint, besides, it's probably a 2 man job to install it with the glass in.

As for rust proofing, my hinges were seized as none of its owners had ever folded the windshield down. I don't have any reason to do it in the future. If you do there are a few holes along the bottom that allow for fairly easy rust proofing. My Jeep is not original and I had no issue with drilling a few external 3/8" access holes in the front of it. With those and the holes in the top of the frame where the inside hard and soft top latches are I have good access with a wand to apply Fluid Film.

20-11-19 3.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: JeepingNet
I drove mine to the glass centre for the install using your fresh breeze/no windscreen technique…..one driver did a double take as I drove past him, nobody else seemed to notice….

I replaced the windshield frame on my '97 a few years back. I used a metric tap to clean out the threads on the new frame after fighting with it a bit.

They bolts have lock tight on the ends . Better to put your torx head in and hit it with a hammer to free them if not heat them up . They will come out just take your time those bolts heads will strip out easily