Rough Country long arm review (66300U)

Hercules_Offroad

Howdy y'all

Figured I'd post my own thoughts on the Rough country X-Flex long arm kit for Our tj's
1668904286728.png

For starters I've had the RC 4" lift installed for about a year now and while this is primarily a review of the long arm kit some details from the standard lift will also be relevant
1668905049139.png

Price is a huge factor for me and Living in Canada has many disadvantages when it comes to ordering parts and has higher prices as well. In Short While something like a Barnes Long arm kit is a fantastic value down south, for me to order one and have it shipped here the price nearly doubles. This Is why price is such a huge factor for me in particular.
Additionally I used a hoist for my install and have professional experience installing various lifts from multiple Manufactures. That being said this is just an opinion piece reflective of my own experiences As always Your mileage may vary. My Review will be a bit long as I like to provide examples and evidence, just my style sorry.

Pre Requisites:
Rough country recommends already having a lift of between 4-6" already installed and an SYE is Recommended, Exhaust Modification "may" be needed
In my opinion you will absolutely want to have an SYE, even for Lj's having a sound driveline Should be a high priority. Poor Driveline angles Will result in Vibrations and Higher Wear.
For the exhaust in theory you could leave the stock system in but install will be very difficult and you will likely need to modify it regardless to avoid hitting the muffler with the control arms.
You may need to adjust or lengthen your brake lines (front and rear) as well as your differential breathers. Some lifts will have already addressed this but may need modification regardless.
There is no provided solution for the rear park brake cable brackets, I opted to just remove the metal brackets from the cables to avoid rubbing on the new arms.
Having Front and rear Adjustable track bars will be a huge benefit although not required.

First impressions:
The packaging is good, all parts arrived without damage and all hardware was accounted for (Please review your hardware kits before installing ANY lift)
The general part quality is high Particularly the Flex Joints and the Main Frame Brackets For the Long arms. The arms themselves are of good quality, the steel feels thick and the welds are good. The General Finish of the parts is just alright, nothing to write home about but no real issues either. Being a more value oriented kit this is fine costs need to be kept down somewhere and this feels like a good compromise.

Instructions:
Ill elaborate more but in short the instructions are going to be fine for most Diy'ers. most of my complaints are just in ease of install and clarity.
For starters RC expects you to be installing this kit on the ground which frankly will be perfect for most people but I used a hoist and so will most Professional shops and hardcore enthusiasts. Really this means the instructions for me were treated more as a reference than step-by-step guide. it would be nice to have this noted or in an ideal word alternative steps for hoist install as some other manufactures have. While using a hoist for install the hoist arm placement is very important, I ended up needing to adjust the hoist arms mid install which can be a sketchy thing to do. I would caution some to just install this kit on the ground unless you are confident in your abilities.
1668911033098.png

I also would like to see more manufactures include segregated hardware bags. This makes install a breeze and hardware identification much easier
Essentially steps can reference numbered bags instead of measuring hardware, there were a few points where I had to swap hardware as I had used the incorrect bolt or wrong washers. ( Steps would read more as "using hardware bag #3 install bracket xyz as shown" as opposed to listing the hardware specs individually)

1668908403996.png

Steps like this can feel a bit word salad like and could be more clear to the layman.

Listing torque specs as notes when needed is much nicer than needing to reference the included chart. its a small complaint but its an easy fix and again other brands already do this to make install more user friendly.

Rough Country Does not include any reference to setting up the rear pinion angle. While an experienced installer will know this already some diy'ers may end up with poor angles and drivability issues. Even a Footnote to recommend having a 4wd shop inspect the rear would acceptable, currently there is no mention of it at all. lengths for control arms are given but no context as to exactly what the arm lengths are responsible for.
1668910570589.png

On a More positive note the instructions have high resolution pictures and repainted parts for better visual clarity as well as bolded text for important numbers and important information. This is a great addition and I wish more brands would do this.
1668912962001.png

1668908780738.png

Additions like this make install much more clear.

Install Notes
-Install was very smooth for me however I did study the instructions ahead of time and made my own plan. this being the case I cant make a good comment on how easy this will be for others but I will say rough country does a good job making clear diy friendly instructions and quality notes for variances. you should feel confident while installing this kit.
-For the Exhaust I opted to unbolt it after the second 02 sensor and cut out the muffler section, from there I welded the original turndown tip onto the mufflers flange. This is very short and very loud. I plan to do a custom exhaust later but for now this will work.
1668910780816.png

-When you install this kit you will have to adjust the stock z linkage for the transfer case and its not the most enjoyable procedure. I have already swapped my stock transfer-case linkages for a cable shifter so I did not have to do this.
-as stated earlier I opted to remove the metal bracket from the rear park brake cables to avoid any metal on metal rubbing
-I did have to use different measurements than the numbers provided for my rear control arms in order to get the pinion angle and wheelbase that I desired, you may need to do the same depending on your existing setup.
-and the end of installation I like to use a paint pen to mark important hardware, this a a good habit in general as it can provide a visual indicator of a fasteners torque and also helps insure everything is torqued as you have visual confirmation

Value
At 1300cdn this kit is expensive but compared to the Rubicon express which I was quoted at 2800cdn and bds long arm at 3300cdn its frankly a steal. yes 100% it is not as nice as the competitors but for me the quality is within reason and I have no concerns with reliability. maybe others will be stronger but I suspect if you are able to break any of these kits you are blatantly abusing your rig or should be moving to a more durable fully custom setup. In reality not everyone has bags of cash lying around to dump into vehicles and being able to do the upgrades in stages was fantastic for me (rc lift->trackbars->SYE->Tcase Cable Shift->Long arm). All of my supporting mods were done months ahead of time and allowed me to stretch the cost out while being able to drive the jeep near daily through the process.

Final Comments
Overall I'm very satisfied with this kit. the long arm upgrade actually resolves some issues I had with the original 4" lift. the longer arms have a much more comfortable ride both on and off-road. My coil spring angles were much better than before and the extra rear control arm adjustments allowed me to pull my trackbar back from the fuel tank skid plate which was rubbing before. I have not physically measured but my wheelbase was also stretched mildly which helps with drivability and stability.
Driving experience is night and day compared to before, it just drives much more smooth and bumps don't make me cringe anymore.
Articulation Off-road is great again much better than before and I have 0 concerns with crossover angles. The front arms are barely lower than the front driveshaft and in the rear id much sooner hit the control arms than the driveshaft.
1668911606295.png

I did my own alignment and the extra adjustments from installing this kit made it much easier to achieve a decent alignment
1668911242769.png

Here is a few more Photos from the process and some completed shots. Thanks for making it the whole way through hope to see some of y'all out on the trails.
1668912497331.png

1668912538594.png

1668912585556.png

1668912637162.png

1668912670943.png

1668912748824.png

I will have to say, that was a decent write up! To each his own as far as kits go.

I know from conversations with RC that they are not the kits of old, but at the same time they are no where near what a DPG, SAVVY or even MC are(no particular order meant)

It's your money and as long as you are satisfied, to me that's all that matters!!!!

Get out wheel the snot out of it and then let us know what you think and feel!!!!

What I can say here is that I commend you on the write-up. That took a lot of time.

I can tell you that you won’t find much love for RC or bolt-on long arm lifts like that here, but if it fits your needs then by all means, enjoy it!

Also, welcome to the forum!

Love to see pictures or videos of your Jeep on the trail.

Not sure where you are in Canada but we're planning a Vancouver Island trip next July...and then down the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route home.

Let me know if you want any video or YouTube tips!

Its good to get a diversity of opinions on this forum and I appreciate your write up!

-Mac

Reactions: JMT and John Cooper
Nice write up. That kit looks way better than the one I installed about 10 years ago on mine. All I used was the arms and swapped all the bushings out to Clayton ones and all the rod ends to Johnny joints. You will have to eventually. Rough country wouldn’t even respond to me asking about replacement parts. That being said I haven’t had any other issues. I don’t do any hard wheeling anymore it’s more of a camping vehicle and spend most time on pavement.

Reactions: JMT and John Cooper
Why a long arm kit? This "unknown" Jeeper used to get stuck on the rocks with his. 🤫

View attachment 378112

Primary reason is just for on road driveability, giving your suspension more leverage makes a huge difference over bumps. Where I live for terrain there isn't a lot of huge rocks to navigate so the reduced clearance is hardly an issue.

Nice write up. That kit looks way better than the one I installed about 10 years ago on mine. All I used was the arms and swapped all the bushings out to Clayton ones and all the rod ends to Johnny joints. You will have to eventually. Rough country wouldn’t even respond to me asking about replacement parts. That being said I haven’t had any other issues. I don’t do any hard wheeling anymore it’s more of a camping vehicle and spend most time on pavement.

I know RC did a revision on the Joints a couple years ago now so hopefully I wont have any issues but hey only time will tell. Good to know I've got options, thanks for the comment

. Rough country wouldn’t even respond to me asking about replacement parts..

This is the most surprising thing I've seen in this thread. I've always had good luck with replacement parts. I had their disconnects for several years and when I twisted the threads off the stud moving it from one axle to another, they sent a pair of replacements for free. When the bushings were trashed, they sold me a pair very reasonably, like $4 ea.

I had my RC LCAs out after about 17k miles and though they demonstrated no driveability issues at all, they didn't jave any preload left. Rather than buying the adjustment tool to tighten them up, I just swapped JJs onto them.

I thought the same thing. I had heard great things about the customer service. I was reaching out to them during the beginning of the covid scam so that may have had something to do with it. In hindsight I’m glad I went with johhny joints and the gyro bushings from Clayton off-road.

Hercules_Offroad, now that it's been about a year, what are your current thoughts about the RC long arm conversion? I've looked at it multiple times for my own Jeep, which currently has a Superlift 4" short arm.

Reactions: Wildman
Hercules_Offroad, now that it's been about a year, what are your current thoughts about the RC long arm conversion? I've looked at it multiple times for my own Jeep, which currently has a Superlift 4" short arm.

OP hasn't been on since February

Howdy y'all

Figured I'd post my own thoughts on the Rough country X-Flex long arm kit for Our tj's
View attachment 377932

For starters I've had the RC 4" lift installed for about a year now and while this is primarily a review of the long arm kit some details from the standard lift will also be relevant
View attachment 377947
Price is a huge factor for me and Living in Canada has many disadvantages when it comes to ordering parts and has higher prices as well. In Short While something like a Barnes Long arm kit is a fantastic value down south, for me to order one and have it shipped here the price nearly doubles. This Is why price is such a huge factor for me in particular.
Additionally I used a hoist for my install and have professional experience installing various lifts from multiple Manufactures. That being said this is just an opinion piece reflective of my own experiences As always Your mileage may vary. My Review will be a bit long as I like to provide examples and evidence, just my style sorry.

Pre Requisites:
Rough country recommends already having a lift of between 4-6" already installed and an SYE is Recommended, Exhaust Modification "may" be needed
In my opinion you will absolutely want to have an SYE, even for Lj's having a sound driveline Should be a high priority. Poor Driveline angles Will result in Vibrations and Higher Wear.
For the exhaust in theory you could leave the stock system in but install will be very difficult and you will likely need to modify it regardless to avoid hitting the muffler with the control arms.
You may need to adjust or lengthen your brake lines (front and rear) as well as your differential breathers. Some lifts will have already addressed this but may need modification regardless.
There is no provided solution for the rear park brake cable brackets, I opted to just remove the metal brackets from the cables to avoid rubbing on the new arms.
Having Front and rear Adjustable track bars will be a huge benefit although not required.

First impressions:
The packaging is good, all parts arrived without damage and all hardware was accounted for (Please review your hardware kits before installing ANY lift)
The general part quality is high Particularly the Flex Joints and the Main Frame Brackets For the Long arms. The arms themselves are of good quality, the steel feels thick and the welds are good. The General Finish of the parts is just alright, nothing to write home about but no real issues either. Being a more value oriented kit this is fine costs need to be kept down somewhere and this feels like a good compromise.

Instructions:
Ill elaborate more but in short the instructions are going to be fine for most Diy'ers. most of my complaints are just in ease of install and clarity.
For starters RC expects you to be installing this kit on the ground which frankly will be perfect for most people but I used a hoist and so will most Professional shops and hardcore enthusiasts. Really this means the instructions for me were treated more as a reference than step-by-step guide. it would be nice to have this noted or in an ideal word alternative steps for hoist install as some other manufactures have. While using a hoist for install the hoist arm placement is very important, I ended up needing to adjust the hoist arms mid install which can be a sketchy thing to do. I would caution some to just install this kit on the ground unless you are confident in your abilities.
View attachment 378019

I also would like to see more manufactures include segregated hardware bags. This makes install a breeze and hardware identification much easier
Essentially steps can reference numbered bags instead of measuring hardware, there were a few points where I had to swap hardware as I had used the incorrect bolt or wrong washers. ( Steps would read more as "using hardware bag #3 install bracket xyz as shown" as opposed to listing the hardware specs individually)

View attachment 377971
Steps like this can feel a bit word salad like and could be more clear to the layman.

Listing torque specs as notes when needed is much nicer than needing to reference the included chart. its a small complaint but its an easy fix and again other brands already do this to make install more user friendly.

Rough Country Does not include any reference to setting up the rear pinion angle. While an experienced installer will know this already some diy'ers may end up with poor angles and drivability issues. Even a Footnote to recommend having a 4wd shop inspect the rear would acceptable, currently there is no mention of it at all. lengths for control arms are given but no context as to exactly what the arm lengths are responsible for.
View attachment 378001

On a More positive note the instructions have high resolution pictures and repainted parts for better visual clarity as well as bolded text for important numbers and important information. This is a great addition and I wish more brands would do this.
View attachment 378050

View attachment 377978
Additions like this make install much more clear.

Install Notes
-Install was very smooth for me however I did study the instructions ahead of time and made my own plan. this being the case I cant make a good comment on how easy this will be for others but I will say rough country does a good job making clear diy friendly instructions and quality notes for variances. you should feel confident while installing this kit.
-For the Exhaust I opted to unbolt it after the second 02 sensor and cut out the muffler section, from there I welded the original turndown tip onto the mufflers flange. This is very short and very loud. I plan to do a custom exhaust later but for now this will work.
View attachment 378005
-When you install this kit you will have to adjust the stock z linkage for the transfer case and its not the most enjoyable procedure. I have already swapped my stock transfer-case linkages for a cable shifter so I did not have to do this.
-as stated earlier I opted to remove the metal bracket from the rear park brake cables to avoid any metal on metal rubbing
-I did have to use different measurements than the numbers provided for my rear control arms in order to get the pinion angle and wheelbase that I desired, you may need to do the same depending on your existing setup.
-and the end of installation I like to use a paint pen to mark important hardware, this a a good habit in general as it can provide a visual indicator of a fasteners torque and also helps insure everything is torqued as you have visual confirmation

Value
At 1300cdn this kit is expensive but compared to the Rubicon express which I was quoted at 2800cdn and bds long arm at 3300cdn its frankly a steal. yes 100% it is not as nice as the competitors but for me the quality is within reason and I have no concerns with reliability. maybe others will be stronger but I suspect if you are able to break any of these kits you are blatantly abusing your rig or should be moving to a more durable fully custom setup. In reality not everyone has bags of cash lying around to dump into vehicles and being able to do the upgrades in stages was fantastic for me (rc lift->trackbars->SYE->Tcase Cable Shift->Long arm). All of my supporting mods were done months ahead of time and allowed me to stretch the cost out while being able to drive the jeep near daily through the process.

Final Comments
Overall I'm very satisfied with this kit. the long arm upgrade actually resolves some issues I had with the original 4" lift. the longer arms have a much more comfortable ride both on and off-road. My coil spring angles were much better than before and the extra rear control arm adjustments allowed me to pull my trackbar back from the fuel tank skid plate which was rubbing before. I have not physically measured but my wheelbase was also stretched mildly which helps with drivability and stability.
Driving experience is night and day compared to before, it just drives much more smooth and bumps don't make me cringe anymore.
Articulation Off-road is great again much better than before and I have 0 concerns with crossover angles. The front arms are barely lower than the front driveshaft and in the rear id much sooner hit the control arms than the driveshaft.
View attachment 378042
I did my own alignment and the extra adjustments from installing this kit made it much easier to achieve a decent alignment
View attachment 378030

Here is a few more Photos from the process and some completed shots. Thanks for making it the whole way through hope to see some of y'all out on the trails.
View attachment 378043

View attachment 378045

View attachment 378046

View attachment 378047

View attachment 378048

View attachment 378049

what size lift wheel and tire size/ combo are you running? it looks great and thats what im shootin for.