Rubber Front Bumper Pads

Tim Redman

TJ Enthusiast
Every so often, I find myself in need of being able to push someone or something with the jeep. Stalled cars at a traffic light. Heavy dumpsters that have been moved from their resting place by a falling tree. All true stories, but I digress.

Right now, the forward-most point on my Jeep is the roller fairlead. Needless to say, if I try to push anything with that, things will eventually get muffed up. Even if the fairlead weren't there, things are definitely getting scratched up and/or gouged.

I went looking to see if there was any kind of solution for off-road bumpers. The only solutions I've found, both homegrown:
  • Drill a couple of 1/2" holes in each end of the bumper, somewhere below each headlight, and attach an appropriately-sized loading dock bumper onto it. The dock bumpers are easy to get a hold of in various sizes, but this project involves drilling four large holes into very stout steel.
  • Cut a recesses into the end of a rubber block, with a hole running through the sides of the cutout to match the hole in the shackle mount, and run a pin or bolt through there to secure it. Hard rubber is notoriously finicky about cutting like that. Not even sure how to go about it, other than being creative with the largest drill bit I can muster up, and gaggle of rotary tool attachments.
Either would certainly do the job, but I was wondering if there were more, shall we say, turnkey solutions out there, tailored towards utility vehicles like a Jeep.

Tim

I have a couple of huge rubber blocks, that you sometimes see on the rear bumper of ford vans (that's where I got them). Pay for shipping and they're yours. I'll go get pics soon, if you want.

Amazon actually has a bunch of postings for those dock bumpers for sale for less than 10 or 20 a piece, in various sizes. The ones I was look at were something like 6" x 3" x 3" or something. You just need to provide the 1/2" bolts.

You could maybe get some of the rubber bumpers that space the tire off the tailgate for cheap or free and drill and mount those. Not sure of the exact length if they’re any longer than a roller fairlead but a spacer of some sort could be put behind it. I’ve heard of people using hockey pucks but other stuff could be used. Wouldn’t be pretty but neither would the truck dock bumpers.

I’d say save your rig and get a tractor or something like a skid steer.