Rubber hose, split loom, loom, and PVC cutter

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
We cut a lot of hose, loom, etc. Best so far is a cable cutter that is fairly limited in what it does well. This cutter from Milwaukee is just outstanding for cutting steering return hose, fuel rubber hose, Aeroquip Socketless, and other similar stuff.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-1-in-PEX-and-Tubing-Cutter-48-22-4204/314870530

1673880293808.png

I thought that looked handy a few months ago so I picked one up. Haven't tried mine though.

Thanks for that, Blaine. I have a descent tubing cutter but it is starting to show its age - and the blade is not replaceble like the Milwaukee. Be sure to watch out for your commission check from Home Po.

I always appreciate your tool recommendations.

Thanks for that, Blaine. I have a descent tubing cutter but it is starting to show its age - and the blade is not replaceble like the Milwaukee. Be sure to watch out for your commission check from Home Po.

I always appreciate your tool recommendations.

I only used that one because the other link had a crap picture that was out of focus.
1673881719357.png

I was eyeing that one up a while back, but I wanted one with a little bigger diameter capacity.
Late last week I found a Milwaukee ratcheting one that goes up to 1-5/8" like the PVC pipe cutter style ones, only not shitty.
I've only made a couple cuts, but so far so good.
I think if 1" covers it for you, the one Blaine posted is probably better.
They make one like this that cuts up to 2-3/8" also.

I did find a picture..........

MHT932464173.jpg

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
This type of cutter will cut braided stuff without fraying the braid? I almost always grab a cutoff wheel, because I know it works without making a mess or pinching the end.

This type of cutter will cut braided stuff without fraying the braid? I almost always grab a cutoff wheel, because I know it works without making a mess or pinching the end.

String yes, steel no.
Mention of a cutoff wheel made me unsure of which you were thinking of.

Nothing with steel braid or braided metal like stainless. This takes the place of a pocket knife. If you wouldn't try it with your pocket knife, grab the cut-off disc.

Reactions: Mike_H
I was eyeing that one up a while back, but I wanted one with a little bigger diameter capacity.
Late last week I found a Milwaukee ratcheting one that goes up to 1-5/8" like the PVC pipe cutter style ones, only not shitty.
I've only made a couple cuts, but so far so good.
I think if 1" covers it for you, the one Blaine posted is probably better.
They make one like this that cuts up to 2-3/8" also.

I did find a picture..........

View attachment 392663

I have one, I wanted something that was as easy as cable cutters.

Reactions: J.Pierce
Nothing with steel braid or braided metal like stainless. This takes the place of a pocket knife. If you wouldn't try it with your pocket knife, grab the cut-off disc.

the local hose shop showed me how to use abrasive cutters, just wrap the hose with tape that has the fiberglass strands in it or the I have found that braid wants to open up and poke everything in sight.