Rubicon Dana 44 air hose nipple (part number 05083663AB) for locking system

gg1

TJ Enthusiast
This is an odd part and is on nationwide backorder. Seems I can get the part from this source (below) for about $100 for two. It is a plastic nipple really and that price is wildly high for such a thing. Guess they know what they have.

Are there any other options for replacing this part, or do I just throw that $100 at it? Seems to be some push in plastic part.

https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p/__/VENT-Axle/6676891/05083663AB.html

Wow, the backorder was lifted and the part just showed up. Figures I start a thread and the same day the part just shows up. I got the part from Jeep for around $30 no shipping charges. I am okay with that and the part is metal not plastic. Looks like the Jeep may finally see the road this weekend!!! Not done of course, but at least drivable. Have to decide on tires very soon as well. Hate my current tires, they look like they belong on a Cadillac.

Reactions: YourWorstEnemy
The plastic one may be an improvement. I've seen several of the metal ones rust closed or snap off. The price is out to lunch though.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Couldn't you pretty easily make something like this out of basic parts from an auto part store? I haven't actually gotten under the vehicle and looked to see if this was possible.

Couldn't you pretty easily make something like this out of basic parts from an auto part store? I haven't actually gotten under the vehicle and looked to see if this was possible.
Yep, some old school Jeepers were telling me about using copper elbows and/or small barbed splice connectors with a light weld in place.

Reactions: Chris
Yep, some old school Jeepers were telling me about using copper elbows and/or small barbed splice connectors with a light weld in place.

Yeah, seems to me like that might be better than plastic, but I have yet to mess with this part, so I don't have any first hand experience.

Yeah, seems to me like that might be better than plastic, but I have yet to mess with this part, so I don't have any first hand experience.

I have a feeling it is already installed as my buddy seemed to want to get it all to work and play around with it a bit. I have been away and working a lot and haven't had a chance to do much. If it isn't installed I could possibly take one to an auto parts, hardware and Home Depot and see if there is another option, but $30 isn't all that crazy. Will post progress on my build thread. I am so excited about this I can't believe I will be driving a Rubi with a soft top. I can't wait!

Reactions: Drizit and Chris
Reactions: Chris
Thanks for the part number for the air locker nipple repairs. I finally got the old one out. How do you install the new one? I am sure it is a press fitting but how do I press it in there? Thanks for the help!

I sacrificed a cheap quarter inch drive socket. I used an air die grinder to cut a slot the width of the fitting.

F8412EE4-150C-4214-B671-0608957930AC.jpeg

2A02ECF6-C701-4F33-AA3D-A4CDDF84BA22.jpeg

Last edited:
Did you need to remove the diff cover to install this? I snapped my rear one today. Bummed I need to replace it. I will happily pay for a new front one too if I can do it without opening the diff cover. Otherwise, I'll just do the back.

Did you need to remove the diff cover to install this? I snapped my rear one today. Bummed I need to replace it. I will happily pay for a new front one too if I can do it without opening the diff cover. Otherwise, I'll just do the back.
The hose connects inside and outside the diff... so yes you will need to remove the cover. Both of mine were rusted badly and broke while removing them. Paint them on the outside after installing to prevent rusting out again.

Wow, the backorder was lifted and the part just showed up. Figures I start a thread and the same day the part just shows up. I got the part from Jeep for around $30 no shipping charges. I am okay with that and the part is metal not plastic. Looks like the Jeep may finally see the road this weekend!!! Not done of course, but at least drivable. Have to decide on tires very soon as well. Hate my current tires, they look like they belong on a Cadillac.
Where did you purchase this pet from? I am located near you and I am in need of this part. The cheapest I have seen was $114.

Where did you purchase this pet from? I am located near you and I am in need of this part. The cheapest I have seen was $114.
Summit... current price 130.99
Summit... I see the current price is $130.99. After a quick search I found Cheep Jeep Parts Online have them at the bargain price of 108.95.
  • Part#: MOP-05083663AB
  • Item: AXLE ASSEMBLIES
  • Price: $40.99
  • Quantity: 2

I ended up needing the air line and didn’t want to spend the $120. I went in to eBay and found a carrier that was for sale and messaged the seller to see if he had the axle. He did and pulled the line for me. Give that a try and you’ll probably find one for a whole lot less in the process.
The eBay seller I picked the hose up from was user name V8olds. Give it a try!