Rubicon driveshaft type?

Alex M.

Supporting Member
What type of driveshaft is the stock TJ Rubicon rear driveshaft? Is it CV, u-joint, etc.? I'm new to this so I was just curious since I heard I need a CV style for a tummy tuck but wasn't sure if my stock one would work or not.

The OE rear driveshaft is a conventional single cardin, i.e. a single u-joint at each end. You'll need a CV rear driveshaft to cope with the steep angle caused by a tummy tuck. You'll also need adjustable length upper rear control arms to adjust the rear axle's pinion angle upwards to work properly with the CV driveshaft. No SYE kit is needed for a Rubicon.

Reactions: Trod286
thanks Jerry! I'll be contacting Tom Woods when it's time for the driveshaft

Been to Tom' shop several times.chaned out the shafts in my last three jeeps: YJ, TJ, LJ and was happy. Had I balance problem with one and they fixed it no charge. When it came time to change my LJ drivetrain I just took too measurements and dropped the shafts off. A couple of days later they were done and the cost was minuscule. Love they work and customer service .

I ordered my shaft on a Wednesday and it got here on a Friday! Talk about lightning fast turn around time.