• Want to add an app icon for this forum to your mobile device's home screen? Check out this thread to see how.
  • Have an event you want to share? Check out the new forum event calendar and how-to use it in this thread here.
  • To both new members and existing members, please read this thread about posting your topics in the correct sub-forum. It makes my job (and my life) a lot easier!

Rubicon Locker Lights Flashing When Lockers Are Engaged

mrblaine

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Jerry in your illustration are you sure it pulls to the left or do you mean it pulls mushroom head to the right when engaged? Im learning here, bear with me.!:)
It is spring loaded to retract the plunger. Technically it is pulled to the left since that is the left side of the vehicle.

Jerry Bransford

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Jerry in your illustration are you sure it pulls to the left or do you mean it pulls mushroom head to the right when engaged? Im learning here, bear with me.!:)
That big black vertical line in the illustration is the flange of the actuator and it moves to the left when it locks the locker, pulling the tip of the sensor toward the left with it. The sensor's mushroom tip hooks over the edge of the flange. That red arrow pointing toward the right is not indicating actuator direction, it's just used as a pointer to the flange that moves to the left when it is actuated to engage the locker.

The toothpick is used to hold it open more than it normally would be due to it being spring loaded. The toothpick overcomes the spring so the mushroom tip is temporarily held far enough to the left so the carrier can be installed. Once the carrier is in place the string attached to the toothpick is pulled to remove the toothpick. That leaves the mushroom tip hooked over the edge of the flange, on its left side.

AndyG

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
If this simplifies the explanation the pin moves with the locker toward the carrier gear.

At rest the pin is at its farthest point from the carrier.

Northgeorgiarider

I have read all the posts. My lockers activate. I jacked the jeep up and turn one wheel and the other wheel turns the same direction. I've used them on trails and can feel them active.
Now my lights still flash as if the are not locked. Without removing everything can I do something to tell if its sensor or other issue. Can I use my lockers with the light flashing without issue later? Could it be another issue.

AndyG

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
if you are 100% sure you're getting positive engagement and you can pull the differential plug and probably tell it should be fine.

But something is amiss between the sensor pins on the differential and the dash... Personally if it were mine I would be pulling the differential cover invisibly inspect the locker action...You may have a damaged sensor pin and if you do you're not going to want to do what you have to do to fix that haphazardly and you may want to even wait until you get into something deeper in the differentials such as a gearing job.

Please correct me if I'm wrong Jerry.

My intentions are always good but I don't profess to know everything.... I just don't like a flashing sensor light and the thought of what it could mean.

If both the lights flash then it would lead me to think that it's or something more on the electrical side .

Last edited:

Northgeorgiarider

The thing that makes me think it's something electric not the lockers is that both lights flash.
My key cylinder is messed up. I read that if there is something amiss with it that it could causes a flashing axle lights too. I read that in another thread.

Reactions: AndyG

jjvw

It's great. No Issues.
Supporting Member
My locker dash lights are unreliable. If I pay attention to them anymore, it's just to serve as another reminder that they have been activated. Beyond that, I can usually tell if the axles are locked or not.

Reactions: Northgeorgiarider

Northgeorgiarider

I think they lock. I've not heard anything from them that would make me think they arent. The pumps shut off too and they feel engaged while I'm driving. Other then those lights flashing I would think everything was ok. Next time the diff fluid need changed I'll give them a good look.
I had the fluid changed by a 4x4 shop they specialized on jeep when I bought it. They didn't mention seen anything out of the ordinary at that time. I'm sure if they could squeeze another nickle out of me they would have tried. Lol