Rubicon Locker Lights Flashing When Lockers Are Engaged

Jerry in your illustration are you sure it pulls to the left or do you mean it pulls mushroom head to the right when engaged? Im learning here, bear with me.!:)
It is spring loaded to retract the plunger. Technically it is pulled to the left since that is the left side of the vehicle.

Jerry in your illustration are you sure it pulls to the left or do you mean it pulls mushroom head to the right when engaged? Im learning here, bear with me.!:)
That big black vertical line in the illustration is the flange of the actuator and it moves to the left when it locks the locker, pulling the tip of the sensor toward the left with it. The sensor's mushroom tip hooks over the edge of the flange. That red arrow pointing toward the right is not indicating actuator direction, it's just used as a pointer to the flange that moves to the left when it is actuated to engage the locker.

The toothpick is used to hold it open more than it normally would be due to it being spring loaded. The toothpick overcomes the spring so the mushroom tip is temporarily held far enough to the left so the carrier can be installed. Once the carrier is in place the string attached to the toothpick is pulled to remove the toothpick. That leaves the mushroom tip hooked over the edge of the flange, on its left side.

If this simplifies the explanation the pin moves with the locker toward the carrier gear.

At rest the pin is at its farthest point from the carrier.

I have read all the posts. My lockers activate. I jacked the jeep up and turn one wheel and the other wheel turns the same direction. I've used them on trails and can feel them active.
Now my lights still flash as if the are not locked. Without removing everything can I do something to tell if its sensor or other issue. Can I use my lockers with the light flashing without issue later? Could it be another issue.

Reactions: Pressurized
if you are 100% sure you're getting positive engagement and you can pull the differential plug and probably tell it should be fine.

But something is amiss between the sensor pins on the differential and the dash... Personally if it were mine I would be pulling the differential cover invisibly inspect the locker action...You may have a damaged sensor pin and if you do you're not going to want to do what you have to do to fix that haphazardly and you may want to even wait until you get into something deeper in the differentials such as a gearing job.

Please correct me if I'm wrong Jerry.

My intentions are always good but I don't profess to know everything.... I just don't like a flashing sensor light and the thought of what it could mean.

If both the lights flash then it would lead me to think that it's or something more on the electrical side .

Last edited:
My locker dash lights are unreliable. If I pay attention to them anymore, it's just to serve as another reminder that they have been activated. Beyond that, I can usually tell if the axles are locked or not.

Reactions: Northgeorgiarider
I think they lock. I've not heard anything from them that would make me think they arent. The pumps shut off too and they feel engaged while I'm driving. Other then those lights flashing I would think everything was ok. Next time the diff fluid need changed I'll give them a good look.
I had the fluid changed by a 4x4 shop they specialized on jeep when I bought it. They didn't mention seen anything out of the ordinary at that time. I'm sure if they could squeeze another nickle out of me they would have tried. Lol

I have a similar issue, but opposite! i just had my rubi re-geared to 4.88 and the rear locker light on dash flashes when i hit the brakes then goes out. Twice i got in the jeep and the light was just flashing with no key which is normal if you shut it off with the lockers engaged but they are not engaged and it is not in 4wd? Thoughts?

After five long years I finally have my 2005 Rubicon back on the road, well sort of, which led me to this post. I just put a Dana 60 in the rear and kept the stock locker/axle in the front, but I had it regeared to match the rear. I took it out for a test drive today and when I hit about 40mph the front locker light started flashing. I slowed down to make a left turn and it was real hard to steer. I kept it under 30 and everything seemed fine although the front locker light would intermittently flash. I got back to my gravel driveway put it in 4lo and locked the front, it definitely locked and unlocked as it should.
After reading through this post I was thinking maybe the shop didn’t install the sensor thingamajig, that Jerry Bransford mentioned, properly. I just wanted to get some feedback on weather or not that’s a good assumption. Thanks in advanced for any help.

After five long years I finally have my 2005 Rubicon back on the road, well sort of, which led me to this post. I just put a Dana 60 in the rear and kept the stock locker/axle in the front, but I had it regeared to match the rear. I took it out for a test drive today and when I hit about 40mph the front locker light started flashing. I slowed down to make a left turn and it was real hard to steer. I kept it under 30 and everything seemed fine although the front locker light would intermittently flash. I got back to my gravel driveway put it in 4lo and locked the front, it definitely locked and unlocked as it should.
After reading through this post I was thinking maybe the shop didn’t install the sensor thingamajig, that Jerry Bransford mentioned, properly. I just wanted to get some feedback on weather or not that’s a good assumption. Thanks in advanced for any help.
It sure is.

It will lock, but not disengage completely.

I would recommend towing it there .

It sure is.

It will lock, but not disengage completely.

I would recommend towing it there .
You can also unscrew the sensor on top of the diff......since it isn't caught on the flange , it will come right out..and screw in a same size oil oil drain plug from a parts store...I did it to get by once.

You can also unscrew the sensor on top of the diff......since it isn't caught on the flange , it will come right out..and screw in a same size oil oil drain plug from a parts store...I did it to get by once.
Thanks for the quick reply. I’ll just tow it back to them. I wish I were comfortable doing this myself, I could probably get it done this weekend, but I’m not comfortable enough with my YouTube and Jeep forum mechanic skills to mess around with my axles. 😂😂

Thanks for the quick reply. I’ll just tow it back to them. I wish I were comfortable doing this myself, I could probably get it done this weekend, but I’m not comfortable enough with my YouTube and Jeep forum mechanic skills to mess around with my axles. 😂😂
It's good to know what you don't know.

Don't flat tow it... You don't want that front axle spinning if it's the one giving you the trouble.

They can get it up on the rack and tell pretty quick without even pulling the differential cover can an inspection mirror can show them behind the carrier It's not catching the flange on the locker.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong but you're not going to do any harm with what you're up to.

Old thread revival... Last trip out I encountered this same issue as mentioned above in post 45 and 47. I have confirmed lock both on the trail and in the garage using Blaine's suggested method. Both F&R lock and unlock consistently and reliably, but both lights remain flashing. Sounds like we haven't come up with a specific known cause.

Old thread revival... Last trip out I encountered this same issue as mentioned above in post 45 and 47. I have confirmed lock both on the trail and in the garage using Blaine's suggested method. Both F&R lock and unlock consistently and reliably, but both lights remain flashing. Sounds like we haven't come up with a specific known cause.
That could be a simple as a bad switch or sensor pin unit... Or a bad connection. I'd start there...the wiring is fairly complex..Jerry and Blaine know a lot about that end of it.

Last edited:
That could be a simple as a bad switch or sensor pin unit... Or a bad connection. I'd start there...the wiring is fairly complex..Jerry and Blaine know a lot about that end of it.
Hi did you ever figure out this issue? I’m having the same thing

Did you ever get this figured out? I’m having the same issue