Rubicon Locker Lights Flashing When Lockers Are Engaged

Mudguard2004

I've read several threads on this board on how to diagnose lockers that are not working on a Rubicon. However, this one is a little different. I had thought my locker compressor was not working because the lights on the dash continued to flash when I tried to engage them. Both front and rear flash and will not go constant indicating that they're engaged.

Today, I finally had someone to help me out and we followed all of the recommendations. We checked the electrical and all was good. The compressor was in fact turning on (the stock compressor was simply too quiet for me to hear on my own). We pulled the hoses and found the diffs were getting air. I then backed it up slowly and it was quite obvious from the steering wheel that the front lockers were engaged. The rears were also engaged. Problem is, the lights on the dash continued to flash as if the lockers are not engaged.

Anyone had this problem before? Any ideas or advise would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get online and find a electrical schematic. If you aren't familiar with electrical troubleshooting find someone who is and get this help. Trace out the circuit with a multimeter and or test light to isolate the problem.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Since it's from both lockers It is probably at a point in the circuit common to both lockers.

Thanks. I just requested the schematics. Brand new the the Jeep and still learning. Thanks for the advice.

I looked up a diagram. Not sure if it's your model but it shows a Dark Blue ground wire with a yellow tracer from the fuse box to a connector. Looks like a good place to start.

Reactions: Fughuert
Have you tried driving around doing s-turns? Rubicon and similar selectable lockers will not lock and the lights will continue flashing until you have made enough turns so they can lock. They will seldom lock just driving straight and they will never lock when sitting still.

Reactions: JeepZilla380
I have not tried that. Thank you. I'll give that a try. I'm also thinking, since I Judy purchased it, they may have not used them much. I may just need to wake them up! Thanks for the reply.

I have not tried that. Thank you. I'll give that a try. I'm also thinking, since I Judy purchased it, they may have not used them much. I may just need to wake them up! Thanks for the reply.
Think of a flat screwdriver blade and a screw slot... that's how the locker locks. You have to turn one or the other but not both together so the (locker's) slot and the blade can align so they can lock together.

Last edited:
Reactions: 707kevin
I had the same problem with my 2003 Rubicon so was glad to see this thread. Jerry's answer puts to rest the question I had concerning the flashing lights/failure to lock indications. I went out and tried it an sure enough, all it needs is a little steering wheel manipulation and forward motion to make it lock right up. Thanks much, Jerry!

Did the same yesterday. The lockers are definitely working. The thing climbed easily over problem areas for non-locked rigs. Now I have to trace the electrical issue with the flashing lights. Thanks for all the feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 707kevin
Did the same yesterday. The lockers are definitely working. The thing climbed easily over problem areas for non-locked rigs. Now I have to trace the electrical issue with the flashing lights. Thanks for all the feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ever have any luck with the flashing indicators? Have looked at multiple recommended fixes and have not been lucky.

Typically the flashing isn't a defect ...it's the sensor telling you the locker is partially engaged . It's a good thing . Also , if it's new to you , and regeared , you could have some Rubicon sensor pins that may not be hooked on the locker flange...if you hear a popping sound, stop driving it and get it to a good shop that knows Jeep's well, and Rubicon s. You can pull the pins from the diff and put an oil plug in and make it safe to drive if that is the issue .

Ok thanks. I’m sure it isn’t regeared. It’s bone stock with right at 50k miles. I lifted it on jack stands and verified the lockers engage(all tires spin foward) Thought maybe the diff sensors were bad. I tried Jerry’s solution but was on pavement. I’m not sure if that matters.