Rubicon Rear Drive shaft on a Dana 35

JeepDew

Hi...
I have a 98 Jeep wrangler and have the opportunity of putting in a 04 rubicon auto tranny and transfer case.

Question:
1. is it a direct swap if I have the ECM and all the components.
2. I was told I could not use the Rubicon drive shaft on my Dana 35 because it would not fit.

Any and all help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Jeep Dew

Hi...
I have a 98 Jeep wrangler and have the opportunity of putting in a 04 rubicon auto tranny and transfer case.

Question:
1. is it a direct swap if I have the ECM and all the components.
2. I was told I could not use the Rubicon drive shaft on my Dana 35 because it would not fit.

Any and all help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Jeep Dew

If you have all the components, it's a direct swap.

However, the driveshaft as I understand will not work, because it's not long enough. I believe @Kevin E may know for sure (hopefully I have the right person) as he swapped in Rubicon axles on his TJ.

As for swapping in the Rubicon transfer case, here's a thread about that: NV241 Rock Trac Transfer Case Swap

I had a feeling it was you. I don't there would be another JeepDew in Miami. Yea this is Willy. You are getting back in the Jeep world.

This my help it is a 1310 to 1330 u joint conversion. If I read it correctly one side is 1310 while the other is 1330 so you could essentially use Dana 35 yoke with Rubi D-Shaft

https://www.morris4x4center.com/spi...V2AOBCh0PtArKEAQYASABEgL4gfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

image_30604.jpg

If you have all the components, it's a direct swap.

However, the driveshaft as I understand will not work, because it's not long enough. I believe @Kevin E may know for sure (hopefully I have the right person) as he swapped in Rubicon axles on his TJ.

As for swapping in the Rubicon transfer case, here's a thread about that: NV241 Rock Trac Transfer Case Swap

I thought the Rubi driveshaft was longer, as the 241 is a flange mount instead of the slip yoke like a 231....

Anyway, the wheel base is the same, so if you put the t-case and tranny in and can adapt the Dana 35 flange, I don't know why it wouldn't work. The ONLY difference would be if the axle housings are drastically different sizes...

Reactions: JeepNWilly
I thought the Rubi driveshaft was longer, as the 241 is a flange mount instead of the slip yoke like a 231....

Anyway, the wheel base is the same, so if you put the t-case and tranny in and can adapt the Dana 35 flange, I don't know why it wouldn't work. The ONLY difference would be if the axle housings are drastically different sizes...

Ahhh, maybe it was longer, not shorter. Someone else had this issue not to long ago, and I believe it was @Kevin E. It's the pinion on the Dana 35 vs Dana 44 rear axle. One is longer than the other.

I had a feeling it was you. I don't there would be another JeepDew in Miami. Yea this is Willy. You are getting back in the Jeep world.

This my help it is a 1310 to 1330 u joint conversion. If I read it correctly one side is 1310 while the other is 1330 so you could essentially use Dana 35 yoke with Rubi D-Shaft

https://www.morris4x4center.com/spi...V2AOBCh0PtArKEAQYASABEgL4gfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

View attachment 26455

Only one JeepDew in the World...LMAO... Good to see you. I never left... just a small sabbatical from wheeling, but I got my daughter a 98 TJ and she wants to do some trail riding and work up to the cool stuff..lol

I got my fingers crossed that this works, thanks for all the info guys, really appreciate it and hope to meet you all out on the trail.

Willy, let me know if you ever go out...I'll try and go with my daughter.

Reactions: Chris
20170208_174004.jpg
I used the 1310x1330 u joint on the front diff and had a new driveshaft built that has 1310 to the t case and 1330 at the rear diff. The Dana 44 yoke is longer on the diff so it makes for a shorter driveshaft by about an inch if I remember correctly

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Yea thanks for correcting me there is only 1 JeepDew in the world LOL
Awesome!!! My daughter wants a Jeep also so eventually our JKU will be passed down on to her when it is time for us to get a new car.
I still have my red TJ but looks a lot different than you last saw it.

I thought you sold your TJ. Remember good times at River Rock GA. I remember your setup was bad ass.

IMG_0072.JPG

Yea thanks for correcting me there is only 1 JeepDew in the world LOL
Awesome!!! My daughter wants a Jeep also so eventually our JKU will be passed down on to her when it is time for us to get a new car.
I still have my red TJ but looks a lot different than you last saw it.

I thought you sold your TJ. Remember good times at River Rock GA. I remember your setup was bad ass.

View attachment 26458
Bro.. that picture brought tears to my eyes...yes I sold her years ago, biggest mistake I ever did. Now my wife owns a 09 Yellow Rubicon JKU and I have a 16 Black Rubicon JKU... my oldest isn't into outdoor stuff but my younger daughter is a mini me....
Those where some fun days, I heard that they had closed that place and recently re-opened it.
I look forward to getting out there someday... this time as a co-pilot....lol

I hear ya.
Nice on the JKU's. Yea I recently found out River Rock is open again. That place was a blast and it took 2 of my Dana 35 axle shafts lol. Can't wait to get back there again.