California Rubicon Run Summer 2024

What weekend and days work best for you. Pick a weekend and days of the week you would like.

• Weekend of July 6-7

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekend of July 20-21

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Weekend of August 10-11

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Thursday-Saturday

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Friday-Sunday

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Saturday-Monday

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I added a poll so we can decide on some day for the run. It sounds like reducing vacation time is a common goal so here is what I came up with. There are only a couple weekends in July that will work without getting in a huge mess so I have also included the first weekend of August. Please select the days of week that will work best for you and the weekend you would like it around.

So who knows the local trail group?

I'd like to do something while running the trail...other than just policing garbage...there a group we can coordinate with?

Bring or cut firewood, decommission illicit campsites, erase user trails, fix up a section of trail, haul in and install signs... doesn't have to be major but I always try and give back.

-Mac

So who knows the local trail group?

I'd like to do something while running the trail...other than just policing garbage...there a group we can coordinate with?

Bring or cut firewood, decommission illicit campsites, erase user trails, fix up a section of trail, haul in and install signs... doesn't have to be major but I always try and give back.

-Mac

I am a "member" of the Mad Hatters, a Friend of the Rubicon. I will ask them what we can do along the way to help maintain the trail. They will know whats needed. I am guessing that if we go later there will be a ton of trash from the large groups going through.

I added a poll so we can decide on some day for the run. It sounds like reducing vacation time is a common goal so here is what I came up with. There are only a couple weekends in July that will work without getting in a huge mess so I have also included the first weekend of August. Please select the days of week that will work best for you and the weekend you would like it around.

Trail is closed Aug 2-4 for jeepers jamboree

Your July dates look fine

https://www.rubicontrailfoundation.org/trail-calendar/

*I'm not sure how it is enforced but would plan the trip around that calendar.

Reactions: Daryl and Irun
I tired to modify the poll but can't figure out how. I have DM'ed Chris and just waiting on the instructions.

Excited about getting back to the Rubicon.

Don't remember what year or which "Soup" spot this was...

But those tires sucked much ass even grooved, and I'm not doing that obstacle this trip :D

189257141zqvhWW_ph.jpg

189257281EpYuMk_ph.jpg

189257417lHHJBo_ph.jpg

189257578FfOxWQ_ph.jpg

Reactions: U8MYDZT and Alex01
Excited about getting back to the Rubicon.

Don't remember what year or which "Soup" spot this was...

But those tires sucked much ass even grooved, and I'm not doing that obstacle this trip :D

View attachment 511232

View attachment 511233

View attachment 511234

View attachment 511235

That's a tough one in a TJ. I got up it twice so far but you need to really commit at the end.

I really want to try old big sluice one of these days. (A hard to see turn off right before buck lake iirc)

Reactions: U8MYDZT
That was a 106"ish wheelbase and I think a metric 39" tire. Not doing it in my TJ :D

Ive gone down Old Sluice two times in the dark by accident. Big rocks and narrow spots is what I remember.

rubicontrailmap.jpg

Reactions: Alex01
Nice K10! I had a 74 C10 that I slammed on 20s and built a mean ass 350 for it. Definitely worlds off from the Jeep life.

I can't wait to get back on the Rubicon either. My Jeep has been down for over a year and I am dying to get some fun in!

Reactions: CMBD
Hey what’s up guys! Just checking in. Me and my buddy @U8MYDZT been hammering on my XJ try to get it ready for July!

We finished up with the cut and fold on the back and fenders this past weekend next will be bumpers and frame stiffeners. I will keep you guys posted as we go! Excited and looking forward to the trip!

900B7B9E-8F56-4B51-AB9D-F3E3A2C413FE.jpeg

Nice K10! I had a 74 C10 that I slammed on 20s and built a mean ass 350 for it. Definitely worlds off from the Jeep life.

I can't wait to get back on the Rubicon either. My Jeep has been down for over a year and I am dying to get some fun in!

Thanks 😁

"On paper" it was a 74 C20 long bed😃

I bet you are dying to get out. That's a long time to not wheel.

My Little Sluice days are over. I've broken enough parts and paint in there to last me a while :D

I have a maybe 30% success rate getting through there clean 🙃

When was the last time you were there? The trail seems to get a bit easier each year. Then again it may just be the added wheel time year over year.

I was a bit saddened last year when I went and the right squeeze at the bottom of big sluice was gone. They cut down the tree. The lady at the camp claimed it died from years of rigs driving over the roots.

Reactions: Daryl
When was the last time you were there? The trail seems to get a bit easier each year. Then again it may just be the added wheel time year over year.

I was a bit saddened last year when I went and the right squeeze at the bottom of big sluice was gone. They cut down the tree. The lady at the camp claimed it died from years of rigs driving over the roots.

Last time I was there was 09. I've seen some more recent Little Sluice pics with the big tree gone and it looks filled in.

Bummer about the bottom of Big Sluice. Was it this spot?

rubithon027.jpg

Last time I was there was 09. I've seen some more recent Little Sluice pics with the big tree gone and it looks filled in.

Bummer about the bottom of Big Sluice. Was it this spot?

View attachment 511624

That's the one. That tree is gone and it isn't even a place you'd think is remotely challenging now.

Little sluice likely looks like a cake walk now vs when you saw it last. My conspiracy theory is that FCA keeps blowing up all the hard bits so the 4 doors can get the badge easier.

That's the one. That tree is gone and it isn't even a place you'd think is remotely challenging now.

Little sluice likely looks like a cake walk now vs when you saw it last. My conspiracy theory is that FCA keeps blowing up all the hard bits so the 4 doors can get the badge easier.

In the early- mid 2000s it was such a shit show in there. Way out of hand.

There was a discussion on Pirate that I think said the initial paving was to remove some of the draw to the area.