Rubicon trail July 11th and 12th - Completed

If you can, spend 2 nights on the trail. First night at Buck Island lake and second at Rubicon Springs. It'll give you guys a break to relax and enjoy the beauty. I have 5 & 9 year old daughters. They love being in the Jeep but need time outside to run around and get in the water as well.

Last edited:
Looking at my schedule I believe I have these days set aside to run the Rubicon.

It will be three of us including my 7 year old daughter so I'm gearing the trip towards her enjoyment.

Anybody want to join?

Is the Loon Lake end the end to start it?

Do I need any passes or anything to run it?

Is there a decent place to leave the truck and trailer?

Any good books or guides I should procure?

I also am looking for any advice such as a good motel nearby to stay the night before.
This is tempting, I would bring my son as he likes camping and the outdoors.

If you can, spend 2 nights on the trail. First night at Buck Island lake and second at Rubicon Springs. It'll give you guys a break to relax and enjoy the beauty. I have 5 & 9 year old daughters. They love being in the Jeep but need time outside to run around and get in the water as well.
I have this scheduled on the front side of the trip so if need be I can easily add another day, I am flexible based on the situation. I normally move fairly fast when on the trail, part of the reason in two days is because we also want to hit up Yosemite afterward.

Reactions: Indy
  • Wow
Reactions: Apparition
Looking at my schedule I believe I have these days set aside to run the Rubicon.

It will be three of us including my 7 year old daughter so I'm gearing the trip towards her enjoyment.

Anybody want to join?

Is the Loon Lake end the end to start it?

Do I need any passes or anything to run it?

Is there a decent place to leave the truck and trailer?

Any good books or guides I should procure?

I also am looking for any advice such as a good motel nearby to stay the night before.
The "traditional" way to run the Rubicon is from Loon Lake to Tahoe but you can run it both ways. I will be on the AJC trip that weekend, which is typically a very crowded mess. Since you will be going in on Sunday, I suggest you start on the Loon Lake side since many will be exiting the Tahoe side. You will run into rigs exiting to Loon (most AJC participants do) but it shouldn't be too bad. If it were me, I would plan to try and get to Buck Island Lake and camp there Sunday night. Hard to say how long it will take you since I don't know what the traffic will be like or how fast you go but a good guess would be 3-4 hours, assuming nothing breaks. From there, pencil in another 3-4 hours to the Springs (super slow driving) and enjoy the scenery. Camp in the Springs Monday night, and then exit to Tahoe side Tuesday AM, I have made that trip as fast as 2 hours, but factor in "stop and smell the roses" time.

You can leave the truck/trailer at the "Chalet" which is a big dirt parking lot just before the Loon Lake dam. The problem you might run into is the lot might be full if you come in early Sunday, but as the day progresses, the lot empties out fairly quickly. Of course, you then have to circle back down Hwy 50 to get the trailer (expect another couple of hours).

feel free to PM me if you have any other questions, I am happy to share my experiences but certainly don't have all the answers...

The "traditional" way to run the Rubicon is from Loon Lake to Tahoe but you can run it both ways. I will be on the AJC trip that weekend, which is typically a very crowded mess. Since you will be going in on Sunday, I suggest you start on the Loon Lake side since many will be exiting the Tahoe side. You will run into rigs exiting to Loon (most AJC participants do) but it shouldn't be too bad. If it were me, I would plan to try and get to Buck Island Lake and camp there Sunday night. Hard to say how long it will take you since I don't know what the traffic will be like or how fast you go but a good guess would be 3-4 hours, assuming nothing breaks. From there, pencil in another 3-4 hours to the Springs (super slow driving) and enjoy the scenery. Camp in the Springs Monday night, and then exit to Tahoe side Tuesday AM, I have made that trip as fast as 2 hours, but factor in "stop and smell the roses" time.

You can leave the truck/trailer at the "Chalet" which is a big dirt parking lot just before the Loon Lake dam. The problem you might run into is the lot might be full if you come in early Sunday, but as the day progresses, the lot empties out fairly quickly. Of course, you then have to circle back down Hwy 50 to get the trailer (expect another couple of hours).

feel free to PM me if you have any other questions, I am happy to share my experiences but certainly don't have all the answers...
Thanks, this helps

and lastly, camping in the Springs is first come first served as well, plenty of spots should be had on Monday evening, I suggest somewhere along the Rubicon river as you first enter the springs or Dirty Dozen or the Mog campsites, which are nice. The cost is $20/Jeep...you should also check for fire restrictions before you leave, I imagine we won't be able to have any...

@Apparition, looking at my schedule now, I could easily be convinced to meet you at Loon Lake staging area Sunday and do the trail with you, I will be on my way out from spending the weekend on the trail with AJC , I will know more by June's end, happy to guide you through if my schedule does indeed work out...

Reactions: D M and Apparition
@Apparition, looking at my schedule now, I could easily be convinced to meet you at Loon Lake staging area Sunday and do the trail with you, I will be on my way out from spending the weekend on the trail with AJC , I will know more by June's end, happy to guide you through if my schedule does indeed work out...
That’d be awesome if it works out.

Reactions: D M
My fiancé would enjoy meeting you she’s always wanted to raise bees.

Reactions: D M
I forgot to say that you can park truck/trailers at each of the staging areas, but it is first come first served...
You can I have but it is long way around to get back to Loon Lake. If you leave on the Tahoe side its about 2.5 - 3 hr drive to the start at Loon.

Reactions: Apparition