Rubicon trail July 11th and 12th - Completed

Added to Calendar: 07-11-21, 07-12-21

Another option is to stage your tow rig on the Tahoe side the day before and stay in Tahoe, Pollock Pines, Placerville, or camp at Loon Lake.
Looking at my schedule I believe I have these days set aside to run the Rubicon.

It will be three of us including my 7 year old daughter so I'm gearing the trip towards her enjoyment.

Anybody want to join?

Is the Loon Lake end the end to start it?

Do I need any passes or anything to run it?

Is there a decent place to leave the truck and trailer?

Any good books or guides I should procure?

I also am looking for any advice such as a good motel nearby to stay the night before.
One option is to stage your tow rig on the Tahoe side the day before and stay in Tahoe, Pollock Pines, Placerville, or camp at Loon Lake. Most of the motels that are close don’t get very good reviews. There are some nice hotels in El Dorado Hills that are a little further west, the Carey House in Placerville, and a Best Western between Camino and Pollock Pines (doesn’t get the best reviews), there are many AirBNB’s, or you could stay in Georgetown and run the traditional route but it will add more time.

Another option is to stage your tow rig on the Tahoe side the day before and stay in Tahoe, Pollock Pines, Placerville, or camp at Loon Lake.

One option is to stage your tow rig on the Tahoe side the day before and stay in Tahoe, Pollock Pines, Placerville, or camp at Loon Lake. Most of the motels that are close don’t get very good reviews. There are some nice hotels in El Dorado Hills that are a little further west, the Carey House in Placerville, and a Best Western between Camino and Pollock Pines (doesn’t get the best reviews), there are many AirBNB’s, or you could stay in Georgetown and run the traditional route but it will add more time.
The more I think about it I'd rather have the tow rig at the end, that way if something goes wrong I'm working my way closer to my truck. Plus when we get done all I need to do is load it up and move on instead of driving to it when tired. Camping makes sense.

The more I think about it I'd rather have the tow rig at the end, that way if something goes wrong I'm working my way closer to my truck. Plus when we get done all I need to do is load it up and move on instead of driving to it when tired. Camping makes sense.
Do you have an engine skid?

• Wow
Reactions: Vasq
Yup, dented my oil pan pretty good the very first time I did the trail. That was with 35s and 4 inch lift and I was super careful driving it as well.

Learned my lesson and now Jeep is fully armored underneath with 1/4 inch plates. I see scratches all over on them every time I go through it now.

Don't forget beefy differential covers and sliders.

OK. I've got good sliders but was gunna try to do some weight loss and replace my t-case skid with an alum one. Think I'll just add the engine skid at the same time.

Reactions: Vasq