California Rubicon Trail

LakeBeard

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I was thinking about running the trail in late March, is that a bad idea? It would be my first time on the trail.

I was thinking about running the trail in late March, is that a bad idea? It would be my first time on the trail.

First let me state I've never run the Rubicon, but I can't think of any reason you shouldn't or can't.
The weather may be a factor but you can monitor that.
Your jeep according to your profile should be able to handle it.
Be up on your maintenance.
Have your safety gear and tool bags ready.
Get your camping items in line if you plan on camping on the trail.
Find a partner to go with if you can, normally you won't be the only one on the trail.
You will get plenty of advice from members here that have run it but you get the general idea.

Reactions: LakeBeard
Too early, late May would be better. It is open all year but that’s because it’s a county road and there are some who try to be the first one over the trail each year but they do it in the snow.

It's still pretty cold then with snow still likely on the ground. March typically has a high temp of 43 and a low of 26 on the trail, it typically snows there 16 days in March. I'd definitely wait until later in the year. I did my run there in August and the weather was frigging beautiful.

This is from my trip there... https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/jerry-finally-does-the-rubicon-trail.25462/

To add to this, the last 3 yrs of fires have been creating closures as early as August, so that can be a factor as well (it’s canceled 3 of my planned trips). That said, Fire restrictions have been as early as late July, so my suggestion would be mid to late July for warmest, driest, least restrictive, but also the busiest. I have friends that just went last week but they have more flexibility than I do, it also snowed on them.

Go when the water is warm enough to swim.
When is that? I was there in August and barely could take a quick dip in Loon Lake before retreating to my towel and several minutes shivering in the sun before warming up. That water was frigging cold. Yes I know some swim in it but it was too damned cold for me. :eek: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Apparition
When is that? I was there in August and barely could take a quick dip in Loon Lake before retreating to my towel and several minutes shivering in the sun before warming up. That water was frigging cold. Yes I know some swim in it but it was too damned cold for me. :eek: :ROFLMAO:

Middle of July at Buck Island. It was chilly but doable and worth it for how dusty everything was.

• Wow
Reactions: Jerry Bransford

I ran it mid June this year and it was chilly at night. For March it really depends on the year but there will most likely be a lot of either snow or mud (or both).

My wife an I will be running the Rubicon plan on starting the trail Sunday June 9th and ending on the 12th. She will be in her JKU, me in my TJ. Wondering about camping spots, Are some better than others? I heard i need to reserve at some spots, any advise?

[QUOTE="LakeBeard, post: 1507476, member: 15559
My wife an I will be running the Rubicon plan on starting the trail Sunday June 9th and ending on the 12th. She will be in her JKU, me in my TJ. Wondering about camping spots, Are some better than others? I heard i need to reserve at some spots, any advise?
[/QUOTE]

Pretty common to camp the first night at Buck Island free open camping. The earlier you get there the better choices you’ll have to set up plenty of space though so don’t stress. Rubicon Springs for the rest of your trip
$20.00 to camp plenty of space.