Rubicon Transmission Swap

Jdonalds

Finally found a stock Rubicon. Unfortunately it’s a manual and the wife is struggling to get the hang of it. Is it even feasible to look into converting it to an automatic or keep looking for one with an automatic.

IMG_1244.jpeg

Lots of work to go auto but it's definitely doable. Look at @JMT Build thread as he just finished one. There is a host of others that can tell you what will be needed. It won't be cheap, easy or fast

Reactions: williambmac
It’s possible, but if you’ve not bought anything yet, keep looking. It’s a lot of tedious work. I did it a couple years ago, because I’ve had my Jeep a while and the devil you know, etc.

Also, if you’re just test driving, give her some time. It takes a little practice to get decent and learn the clutch engagement.

Reactions: ColoJeep and P man
Everyone struggles,
and no one is perfect on just a few test drives

Im teaching my wife to drive manual as well as my boys on the TJ 4.0L 5sp. I would buy it and tell her to stick with it,

it will come with sincere effort in a short period of time. Manuals are everywhere in the world, she will be a much more versatile driver. Plus one of the best Anti-Theft devices these days 🙌

I had to learn on my own in Seattle at age 19….that sucked, but I had it down in a few days

Finally found a stock Rubicon. Unfortunately it’s a manual and the wife is struggling to get the hang of it. Is it even feasible to look into converting it to an automatic or keep looking for one with an automatic.

View attachment 515346

She’ll probably get the hang of it, but an auto swap is definitely doable. If I have done it anyone can do it. You have to acquire a lot of parts. It’s tedious. If I could find an auto I’d go that route.

View attachment 515346
I'm a big fan of converting from a manual to an automatic transmission, I did the conversion to my previous TJ for offroading purposes. But I absolutely would not do for your TJ so just because your wife is having the normal initial struggles mastering the transmission.

My youngest daughter did too at first... it's not as easy as an automatic afterall... but master it she did after a full day (or two) of driving with it. I drove my first manual with struggles my first day or two too but it's normal and she absolutely can master it as well. Not to mention it wouldn't be nearly as easy to convert your 06 to the computerized automatic as it was for my non-computerized automatic that was used in 2002 and older TJs.

Before automatics became widely available all women drivers drove with manual transmissions and they thought nothing of it. She can do it too. :)

Reactions: GPK03X
Buy a second TJ with an automatic for her to drive. Problem solved. You have your Rubicon and she has her automatic.

Reactions: HardSell