California Rubicon Trip Sep 8-10th (Cancelled Due To Fire)

I think we could do the Dusty Ershim in 3 days

My understanding is it is 33 miles, and not easy (most seem to say the easiest stuff is harder than the rubicon, but the rubicon has more optional hard sections).

If we do it in 3 days it will be like running the full length of the Rubicon, three days in a row.

I don’t have, or know anyone with first hand experience on Dusy though. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: DrDmoney
My understanding is it is 33 miles, and not easy (most seem to say the easiest stuff is harder than the rubicon, but the rubicon has more optional hard sections).

If we do it in 3 days it will be like running the full length of the Rubicon, three days in a row.

Your neighbors posted this a few years ago😉

Reactions: Apparition

You say that like its a bad thing lol. That would be tons of wheeling. I know a guy who took his xj with a spartan locker on 32s all the way through and said after those three days he was beat but it was fun. He definitely got his wheeling fix from that trip and needed a break

I'm on a holding pattern now for those dates. The little one tested positive for covid, he's fine and doesn't seem bothered, but waiting to see if it runs through the rest of us. Getting tested again Sunday so hopefully we can go back to normal.

• Wow
Reactions: 02GreenTJ
I'm on a holding pattern now for those dates. The little one tested positive for covid, he's fine and doesn't seem bothered, but waiting to see if it runs through the rest of us. Getting tested again Sunday so hopefully we can go back to normal.
Oh wow sorry to hear that, I hope he gets over this quickly and it no one else in the family come down with it.

Reactions: D M and Alex01
Oh wow sorry to hear that, I hope he gets over this quickly and it no one else in the family come down with it.
Thanks. It is what it is. I personally don't think covid is going anywhere so it was bound to happen. The poor guy also has 5 teeth coming through all at once.

Reactions: rasband
That’s so weird you are the sixth person we know with a toddler that tested positive for COVID in the last week.

• Sad
Reactions: D M
That is odd. He seems fine though. He's currently running around like a mad man outside.
2 guys at work get a 2 week paid vacation because their kids tested positive and they can’t isolate from them, With a 2 year old in the house I’ve been thinking about doing it myself 😁

Sorry to hear that.

I hope everything works out fine, and you get back to normal quickly!

I’m watching this thread for updates on an alternate to the ‘con.

I’m in Reno right now, but I think my new DS is at the house waiting to be installed.

For those going on this adventure. I sent a PM to @DuncLJ since he is from the Fresno area about trials near Shaver Lake and this was his response.

I know the area pretty well. Red Lake, Coyote, and Swamp Lake are all great trails. Bald Mountain OHV area is my favorite. It is a 16 mile loop that has many options to make it as challenging as you want. The view at the top is incredible as well.
I don't know as much about the Dusy though. It is much more of a commitment. Ive heard it takes every bit of 3 days, and even the trailhead is pretty remote.

Camping with a reservation near water can be done at Camp Edison, Dorabelle, and Dinkey Creek.
There are a lot of smaller roadside campsites also, but they are first come first serve, so no guarantees with those.

A lot of people from out of town simply stay in hotels in the Fresno/Clovis area.
If you stay on the Northeast side of town, you can be in the Shaver Lake area in 45 minutes to an hour.

I hope this helps out. I'd love to join you guys if you end up making down here.

So what are everyone's thoughts on Red Lake, Coyote, and Swamp Lake, or Bald Mountain. Personally I would like to do the Dusy but I would also like to be driving home on Friday afternoon. :unsure:

PS I Also like the part about " A lot of people from out of town simply stay in hotels " :cool:

Midnight this is your Rodeo :ROFLMAO:

@Midnight LJR
@Alex01
@Darly
@taylormade73
@DrDmoney
@Lonewolf
@Gone-N-Done-It
@Choptop1954
@02GreenTJ
@bobthetj03
@mvigo
@Thunderhead
@Larry97TJ
@Pcleaners2
@Modoc Guy

For those going on this adventure. I sent a PM to @DuncLJ since he is from the Fresno area about trials near Shaver Lake and this was his response.

I know the area pretty well. Red Lake, Coyote, and Swamp Lake are all great trails. Bald Mountain OHV area is my favorite. It is a 16 mile loop that has many options to make it as challenging as you want. The view at the top is incredible as well.
I don't know as much about the Dusy though. It is much more of a commitment. Ive heard it takes every bit of 3 days, and even the trailhead is pretty remote.

Camping with a reservation near water can be done at Camp Edison, Dorabelle, and Dinkey Creek.
There are a lot of smaller roadside campsites also, but they are first come first serve, so no guarantees with those.

A lot of people from out of town simply stay in hotels in the Fresno/Clovis area.
If you stay on the Northeast side of town, you can be in the Shaver Lake area in 45 minutes to an hour.

I hope this helps out. I'd love to join you guys if you end up making down here.

So what are everyone's thoughts on Red Lake, Coyote, and Swamp Lake, or Bald Mountain. Personally I would like to do the Dusy but I would also like to be driving home on Friday afternoon. :unsure:

PS I Also like the part about " A lot of people from out of town simply stay in hotels " :cool:

Midnight this is your Rodeo :ROFLMAO:

@Midnight LJR
@Alex01
@Darly
@taylormade73
@DrDmoney
@Lonewolf
@Gone-N-Done-It
@Choptop1954
@02GreenTJ
@bobthetj03
@mvigo
@Thunderhead
@Larry97TJ
@Pcleaners2
@Modoc Guy

Ummmm I don’t know. I have to see how the driving will work out to there from my parents place. I don’t think this would be me rodeo anymore if we switch to that area I know nothing about it. 🤷‍♂️

Are they all day trips? So is it normally done Moab style? Camp/hotel then go from there?

Do the trails start near shaver lake? We rented at cabin there one time for my brothers birthday.

I honestly haven’t had a chance to do any research.

You can count me out on this one. Those trails are definitely on my bucket list. Just not enough time on the books to go that far. Bald Mt. for sure next year, I hope. Are there any RV parks close by to those trails that I can research?

Yeah so obviously this trip is officially cancelled. I might be able to make the alternate trip but won’t have time to plan it. @Plumber1 If you want to organize something and be trail boss, I would start another thread and tag everyone so it will be less confusing. Just don’t want folks waiting on me to do an alternate plan because it won’t be in the cards for me.

The curse of the Rubicon continues for my Jeep.

Yeah so obviously this trip is officially cancelled. I might be able to make the alternate trip but won’t have time to plan it. @Plumber1 If you want to organize something and be trail boss, I would start another thread and tag everyone so it will be less confusing. Just don’t want folks waiting on me to do an alternate plan because it won’t be in the cards for me.

The curse of the Rubicon continues for my Jeep.
Might want to amend the title for clarity

Reactions: Midnight LJR