Rubicon worth the extra money?

TNHEADDUCK

TJ Enthusiast
Just wondering is the mighty Rubicon actually worth the extra money they cost? I have never owned one personally but all of my Jeeps get aftermarket parts/upgrades put on them anyway that are actually better than the factory stuff. IE axles, gear sets, suspension, bumpers, transfer case, larger tires and wheels. Seems to me you replace most of the stuff anyway.

If you're going to swap the axles and the transfer case then no, but if you're wanting to keep those items stock, which are quality items, then yes it's worth the extra money. The Rubicon just holds value much better in stock or semi stock form.

The transfer case, axles and lockers make it worth it for me. About 5k in value there which you can keep unless you’re running over 35’s. Not to mention the added resale.

I have never understood why the Rubicons sell for the prices they do. Good marketing I guess. I've had 2 different rubicons over the years. If you like rock crawling the Rubicon package is nice. On overland type trails, however, I found the 241's gearing to be to low which forced me to be constantly shifting (both were manuals so I can't speak for an auto). I never wheeled in mud or sand but I assume it would be the same issue. On my second one I had the factory lockers replaced with ARB which I found to be better than stock. The 4.10 gears were fine with 31's but after uprading to 33's they definitely needed to be replaced. The front axle also shares a lot of parts with the dana 30. I'm not debating that the Rubicon isn't worth more than a TJ. I certainly enjoyed it when it came time for resale. I just feel that the market has the value over inflated for what you actually get. For $5k-$6k I could build a better package with parts that aren't at a minimum 12 years old. Of course not everyone enjoys, has the time or ability to build their own Jeep so for them maybe its worth the money. I almost seem to enjoy the building more than the driving. These are all just my opinions and should be taken as such. If somebody is truly debating a purchase I can only recommend the do their research and get the Jeep that is best for them.

Reactions: skrelnik and JMT
I have never understood why the Rubicons sell for the prices they do. Good marketing I guess. I've had 2 different rubicons over the years. If you like rock crawling the Rubicon package is nice. On overland type trails, however, I found the 241's gearing to be to low which forced me to be constantly shifting (both were manuals so I can't speak for an auto). I never wheeled in mud or sand but I assume it would be the same issue. On my second one I had the factory lockers replaced with ARB which I found to be better than stock. The 4.10 gears were fine with 31's but after uprading to 33's they definitely needed to be replaced. The front axle also shares a lot of parts with the dana 30. I'm not debating that the Rubicon isn't worth more than a TJ. I certainly enjoyed it when it came time for resale. I just feel that the market has the value over inflated for what you actually get. For $5k-$6k I could build a better package with parts that aren't at a minimum 12 years old. Of course not everyone enjoys, has the time or ability to build their own Jeep so for them maybe its worth the money. I almost seem to enjoy the building more than the driving. These are all just my opinions and should be taken as such. If somebody is truly debating a purchase I can only recommend the do their research and get the Jeep that is best for them.
I agree with the opinions in this post.

As per @tomtaylz, yes, resale is better, but getting into a Rubicon costs more to begin with.

I think a Sport or Sahara with a Dana 44 in the rear, 6-speed is the best bang for your buck starting point for a build. You can get these for a good deal and then you can do it yourself just the way you want it. Your crawl ratio will be very awesome if you regear appropriate for tire size

I agree with the opinions in this post.

As per @tomtaylz, yes, resale is better, but getting into a Rubicon costs more to begin with.

I think a Sport or Sahara with a Dana 44 in the rear, 6-speed is the best bang for your buck starting point for a build. You can get these for a good deal and then you can do it yourself just the way you want it. Your crawl ratio will be very awesome if you regear appropriate for tire size

That's kinda the way I see it as well, you see removed Rubi parts all the time for the cheap that seem to never sell here in the Southeast where people have upgraded. May be different on the left coast, I hear Rubicons bring top dollar out there for all of those Mall Crawlers to cruise around in!!!

Reactions: skrelnik
Would a Rubicon make for a good potential daily driver? I would use it mostly around town and for some trips around maybe 90 minutes.

It will drive basically the same as a non rubicon. The only discernable difference for street use will be the rubicon has 4.10 gears which will turn 31's better. For a daily driver an LJ, rubicon or not, will be the best driving model. The longer wheelbase gives a smoother ride, there is more leg room for rear passengers, towing is better and there is actually usable room behind the rear seat. I might be biased though.

I'm digging the dialog on this thread, as I have been toying with the idea of picking up an LJ for my wife to daily drive. She currently drives a '96 2-door XJ, and absolutely loves it, but I thought an LJ might be nice. It would have to be an automatic, and would remain stock-ish for the sake of simplicity (famous last words, I know). As for me, I too have asked myself many of the same questions brought up here. Are aftermarket lockers better than the stock Rubi lockers? Is there a discernible difference in using one as a DD over a non-Rubicon? All that stuff. I'll be watching this thread closely... :icon_popcorn:

Reactions: inkedrose
It all depends on what your goals are for the vehicle. The Rubicon locker in the rear is junk. The limited slip portion of the carrier is well known to be weak and will fail. The front locker doesn’t have this short coming. If you’re leaving your Jeep stock or small lift and tires the extra money for a Rubicon is wise. If you’re planning on large lift, big tires don’t waste your money on a Rubicon because you’re going to be installing Dana 60’s and an advanced adapters transfer case anyways.

Reactions: KMG and JMT
The only real value of the Rubicon is the transfer case. The rest is easily surpassed for less money on a "lesser" TJ. The front Dana 44 allows for 5.38 gears which is good for those running 35s.

Reactions: 06lj and JMT
Would a Rubicon make for a good potential daily driver? I would use it mostly around town and for some trips around maybe 90 minutes.

As long as you're okay with 15 mpg on average (on a good day). Of course any Wrangler will get crapy mpg, not just a Rubicon.

Reactions: Kvarilek
The only real value of the Rubicon is the transfer case. The rest is easily surpassed for less money on a "lesser" TJ. The front Dana 44 allows for 5.38 gears which is good for those running 35s.
Yep. He said it right!

Mine is a daily. Nothing that makes the Rubicon what it is makes it any better or worse than any other TJ for daily driving.

Reactions: Kvarilek
A Rubicon is not the best option in every scenario. I think that’s accurate and fair. It depends on what you are doing with the rig.