Ruby: The story of a Jersey Girl

Clint Rivera

IMG_0052.jpg
Sometimes choosing the next project is difficult. Sometimes a great deal shows up on craigslist and the decision becomes a lot easier. So when this 130K mile rubicon appeared on craigslist as a "mechanic's special" I had to check it out. Looking at the carfax I had an idea what the issue was before I called the dealer. The Jeep spent it's life in New Jersey, so I assumed rust issues.
IMG_0053.jpg

I poked and prodded the frame but this was the only really bad spot I found. Tub looked good under the carpet. Rand and drove great. Both lockers worked. A/C worked. Just had all it's fluids replaced and brand new tires.

So, $7500 later I had a fairly low mile hard top Rubicon. And to think, earlier in the day I was looking at Land Rover LR3's....

I'm not really sure where I want the build to go. I purposely bought a Rubicon for the axles and lockers, so tire size is going to be 33-35. I've already ordered a JKS 1.25" BL and MML.

Looking at a 3 inch or so lift to keep the cost down a bit- which I suppose means 33" tires or 35 with some sort of front fender replacement.

That is certainly an eye sore but that can absolutely be fixed. Safe-t-cap makes that whole rear trailing arm that can be welded in after cutting away the rusted out section. I've personally done that with mine except I did the entire length from the center skid back including the trailing arms on both sides. Major job, but if you have welding access you can save some serious $.

Otherwise looks great! Hopefully the frame isn't worse than that and you've got yourself a good project.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ
Seems to be the one...with rust through like that I find it hard to believe the rest of the frame is solid...unless something got clogged back there and trapped a chunk of salt.

ART-131-4-L-1.jpg
I bought two of these. This basically replaces all of the lowest part of the frame and should take care of any rot that I didn't find poking around. They also have front sections if I need to go that far. The one bad spot is really a head scratcher. I'm not sure if something got trapped, or if the internal e-coat had issues or what? The other side really doesn't look bad at all. I'll know more when I start cutting.

Yep. That's the rig that I was looking at. Glad to see that another forum member adopted it (and my wife is even happier, I assure you!). Hey, @Clint Rivera, congratulations on your new purchase! Not many can claim to have purchased a TJR for $7,500! :thumbsup:

Reactions: tomtaylz
View attachment 61534
I bought two of these. This basically replaces all of the lowest part of the frame and should take care of any rot that I didn't find poking around. They also have front sections if I need to go that far. The one bad spot is really a head scratcher. I'm not sure if something got trapped, or if the internal e-coat had issues or what? The other side really doesn't look bad at all. I'll know more when I start cutting.
Well apparently in that spot, there is an area where water can be trapped and there is no drain hole for it to escape so it just kind of sits there rusting away from the inside. If you notice on the new piece you can there will be an added drain hole in that spot to prevent future issues in that spot. That is btw the same section I installed.

Yep. That's the rig that I was looking at. Glad to see that another forum member adopted it (and my wife is even happier, I assure you!). Hey, @Clint Rivera, congratulations on your new purchase! Not many can claim to have purchased a TJR for $7,500! :thumbsup:
Your wife doesn't like massive rust buckets? It's funny, there were two other guys looking at this Jeep while I was working the deal. I think it will be a good Jeep after about 20 pounds of welding wire and a box of cut off wheels.

Reactions: Squatch
Well apparently in that spot, there is an area where water can be trapped and there is no drain hole for it to escape so it just kind of sits there rusting away from the inside. If you notice on the new piece you can there will be an added drain hole in that spot to prevent future issues in that spot. That is btw the same section I installed.

I'm just surprised the other side isn't as bad? Not sure what happened, unless the other side is just spray foam and new paint!

Your wife doesn't like massive rust buckets? It's funny, there were two other guys looking at this Jeep while I was working the deal. I think it will be a good Jeep after about 20 pounds of welding wire and a box of cut off wheels.
I bought a '66 Rambler Classic convertible a few years ago. She's also a Jersey girl (I knew it when I bought her), and suffers some of the same afflictions as your TJR. Maybe that's why I didn't need a second one. One Jersey girl is enough to keep me busy for quite a while! ;)

I bought a '66 Rambler Classic convertible a few years ago. She's also a Jersey girl (I knew it when I bought her), and suffers some of the same afflictions as your TJR. Maybe that's why I didn't need a second one. One Jersey girl is enough to keep me busy for quite a while! ;)

Wow. For someone willing to do the welding work that’s an amazing find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi
if you can do the work yourself...in the end it will be a steal!

I can't resist a good deal. I spent about an hour trying to find things wrong with it to sweeten the deal. It looks like it's never been offraod. I couldn't find any rust on the tub. Interior is in great shape. Everything works. The thing has brand new Duratracs.

I can't wait to start tearing into it even though this will be the most mild build I have done in a long time.

I can't resist a good deal. I spent about an hour trying to find things wrong with it to sweeten the deal. It looks like it's never been offraod. I couldn't find any rust on the tub. Interior is in great shape. Everything works. The thing has brand new Duratracs.

I can't wait to start tearing into it even though this will be the most mild build I have done in a long time.
I think that's awesome, brother. Hope any surprises you might encounter with it are pleasant ones!

I think that's awesome, brother. Hope any surprises you might encounter with it are pleasant ones!
Fingers crossed!

Frame sections and body lift showed up but I wasn't motivated to turn wrenches this weekend. I did manage to order wheels, tires, and a lift though.

I started on the frame today.
First thing when working on a Jeep, gather many, many tools.

IMG_0103.jpg

I picked up a full set of gearwrench 120xp socket sets. Very nice stuff!

IMG_0104.jpg

I installed the body lift first to give me some room to weld the top of the replacement frame pieces. Also installed a MML. I almost forgot how much fun doing the driver's side motor mount is. Bleh.

Anyway, knocked that out and began cutting. I rented a hypotherm plasma cutter to help out. That was a very good decision - made quick work of cutting. I was slowed down a bit since every single skid plate nutsert was spinning and I had to cut little windows in the frame to get some vice grips on them.

IMG_0105.jpg

The bottom of the frame (mostly in the back) is rotten. I was impressed how much debris there was in the frame.

IMG_0106.jpg

This is a shot of the rot compared with the replacement frame sections. I think I'll go with the replacement....

Found a couple more surprises. The oil pan is rusted almost all the way through. The rear main is leaking, so I suppose this is a good time to do all that.

The steel transmission line under the exhaust looks terrible too. I'll probably replace that with soft line to make installing my tranny cooler easier.

Other than that, looks ok so far.

Damn, those pieces of the frame you took out look nasty. Are you only cutting out the bottom of the frame rails and replacing those pieces?

Where did you get those replacement pieces anyways, are those SafeTCaps?

Reactions: Starrs
Damn, those pieces of the frame you took out look nasty. Are you only cutting out the bottom of the frame rails and replacing those pieces?

Where did you get those replacement pieces anyways, are those SafeTCaps?

Just the bottoms. The frame rots from the bottom up so the top of the frame is actually in great shape. Then you slip the pieces over the remaining good frame and weld it together.

I bought them from Morris, although they were just drop shipped from SafeTCap.