Rugged Ridge Dash Multi-Mount

I use the Mob Armor magnetic mount on the metal windshield frame near the rearview mirror. Only requires a thin piece of metal on the back of the phone. I may get one of these Dash Multi mounts without the phone holder part.

View attachment 68575

View attachment 68576

View attachment 68577

View attachment 68578
How well do those magnetic one's hold the phone? How does the base attach to the surface of the dash? My rugged ridge one has clamps that hold the phone and the rubber is tearing so it won't really hold the phone anymore. Bummer.

There is a new gadget out that you can use to mount a phone in a jeep. I have issues with mounting my phone where it will block any of my view out the windshield. I have eyed the spot above the rear view mirror on the blank trim. But I had no way to utilize the space until now.

This video will explain;

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I soften the plastic to get a good flat spot for the glue on back. This position is GREAT for me.
View attachment 68550View attachment 68549
I just don't like the thing you have to mount on the back of your phone. I think I'd like a magnetic one better.

Reactions: Miracle Jeep
I have one in my TJ, had one in the JK as well. Currently I removed the cell phone holder part as I never used it as much as I thought I would and one of the rubber tabs designed to hold the phone in ended up snapping off anyway.

It doesn't hold all phone cases either. I use a Magpul case that has some texture to it plus some nicely spaced ribs that allowed the mount to get a good purchase on it. My wife's phone case however is a slightly grippy material and it tends to jostle loose after a while.

As a tray it works better than the stock one molded into the dash ever did, as a phone mount it's okay. Never mounted anything to the 1/4-20 camera screw though. Seeing as it is a standard camera threading though I did look it up and there are some beefier mounts you could work into it. Not sure if I'll do it since it never got used much in the first place and I'd rather put in a double-din with a screen anyway if I need to use GPS than use a half-measure.

Reactions: RussTJ
This seems like such a simple thing to solve, but all the solutions have drawbacks. Very frustrating because while I love the idea of having a double din and screen to navigate, that's more than I really want to do. I just want my phone up there. And there's like a million mounts. ARghhh

Reactions: RussTJ
I’ve been using one for about six months. I works pretty well on road but have had my phone fall a few times offroad. It does not sit flush like mentioned before. But it’s a Jeep not a luxury vehicle. On a side not I feel like a baby with my rig it’s a 1999 and only has 121000 original miles on it. But the last eleven years it’s been purely an offroad only vehicle. I just recently rekindled my love for the damn thing and have been driving it all the time again.

Reactions: RussTJ and KCsTJ
I have the rugged ridge mount. It needs a way stronger clamp. honestly very annoyed as my phone falls off when offroading (cracked a screen).

I tried swapping in another phone mount clamp but the socket was too large.

Im guessing a better clamp/grip for the phone or adding a magnet might help.

I have the rugged ridge mount. It needs a way stronger clamp. honestly very annoyed as my phone falls off when offroading (cracked a screen).

I tried swapping in another phone mount clamp but the socket was too large.

Im guessing a better clamp/grip for the phone or adding a magnet might help.
I agree. The rubber on one side of my clamp split and would no longer hold the phone for more than a few minutes.

Since I like the dash tray, I searched till I found this magnetic one. The base is a thin metal with 3m tape. I bent it to the angle I wanted and drilled a hole where the bolt sticks up. I’m planning to put a nut there to give more support. So far the magnet works great on bumpy county roads.
20D9ADEF-4048-4CAA-9AC5-A806E8D94F30.jpeg

I too was in search for the perfect phone mount for the Jeep. Magnetic was too weak to hold up to the bumpiness and jostling. So I got rid of that. Looked into some pricier $50-70 ones that hold phone and suction to windshield or dash but I didn’t wanna spend that much to possibly have it stolen out of the Jeep. So came across this one on amazon and gave it a try. Been using it so far. It get the job done. And it was fine off-roading. Just moved around a bit but never falls or slides too much. Only negative is that it only holds the phone in the horizontal/gps position.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G6DGM9W/?tag=wranglerorg-20

So, I have the rugged ridge dash thing and I really like it, but my phone would become a flying projectile when things got bumpy. I ordered this Vastar Universal Smartphone... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L3B5PBI/?tag=wranglerorg-20 and it fits on the rugged ridge dash and holds the phone perfectly. So, if you order the dash order that phone holder, too.

@Miracle Jeep did you line the top of your Jeep with carpet?

This seems like such a simple thing to solve, but all the solutions have drawbacks. Very frustrating because while I love the idea of having a double din and screen to navigate, that's more than I really want to do. I just want my phone up there. And there's like a million mounts. ARghhh

If anyone has a better solution, let me know!

Just throwing out another option....Why not just get a dedicated GPS? This frees up your phone. A dedicated GPS can be attached to your front windshield without issue.

Just throwing out another option....Why not just get a dedicated GPS? This frees up your phone. A dedicated GPS can be attached to your front windshield without issue.

Thanks for that suggestion.
The mounted phone is mainly for playing music by Bluetooth on a day by day basis. GPS only on trips. We live in a small town and already know where everything is.

I found a solution the other day. This magnetic mount was able to work seamlessly with the rugged ridge dash tray.
F488D632-1901-422D-B9D7-2D90A991C5E4.jpeg

I would have posted sooner if I saw this thread. I also looked at the product mentioned in the OP. I decided to go back to Proclip since it was the phone mounting part that was most important for me. I have used them in my past few cars and keep coming back. The phone will never fall or eject if mounted properly in a Proclip since the holder is phone specific. It works great for me since I never use cases on my phones, but that might be a deal breaker for some. Another drawback is that it sits in front of the left vent, but this is also how it provides a perfect viewing and access position for mapping, Bluetooth control etc. This was a sacrifice I was willing to make. The exact viewing position is micro-adjustable for your height. This shows the base with holder for the Pixel XL. The base is vehicle specific and the holder is phone specific (two pieces). So, you can change out the holder or base if you you get a new phone or vehicle. I was worried that it might block viewing or access to the single DIN stereo, but it doesn’t block at all. A perfect fit really.

7F56EF2B-6610-40FE-A8D6-169BB1C84029.jpeg

Reactions: JMT
So, I have the rugged ridge dash thing and I really like it, but my phone would become a flying projectile when things got bumpy. I ordered this Vastar Universal Smartphone... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L3B5PBI/?tag=wranglerorg-20 and it fits on the rugged ridge dash and holds the phone perfectly. So, if you order the dash order that phone holder, too.

@Miracle Jeep did you line the top of your Jeep with carpet?

No, apparently this is an aftermarket top. Someone thought Bestop? Aftermarket makes sense though as it explains the obvious aftermarket wiring to the rear window drefroster and double dome lights.

No, apparently this is an aftermarket top. Someone thought Bestop? Aftermarket makes sense though as it explains the obvious aftermarket wiring to the rear window drefroster and double dome lights.
That makes sense. I have been thinking about carpeting my hard top. That's why I was asking.

Sorry for diverting from the topic of the thread.