Rugged Ridge Spartacus or MORryde Tailgate Reinforcement Kit?

invmgmt

Hello Forum Members,

I have an 05 LJ and want to install a tailgate reinforcement kit to solve for sag and rattles due to oversized spare. I was initially just considering the Spartacus, since a friend has it on his TJ. Then, I came across the Morryde kit and was wondering if anyone out there has pros/cons about either? Any help is greatly appreciated.

MORryde. It's tried, tested, and so many of us use it without issue with 35" or larger tires.

It is easily one of the most (if not the most) popular tire carriers on this forum.

Reactions: J R
I have no faith in rugged ridge making a single quality part so I would go with the moryde/exogate.

Reactions: Stinkbug
Yeah! I’m subscribed to your YT channel and was wondering how it is going to hold up with the tire not touching snubbers. I was asking if the hinges were strong enough for that.

It's good, can't fault it with a 33 on it. I keep checking for issues but in use (not just in theory) I haven't experienced any. You do need the hinge and carrier though as they do sell the carrier by itself.

I have the Rugged ridge version. Seems fine, have no issues with it, like how it tilts the spare tire a bit too.

It's good, can't fault it with a 33 on it. I keep checking for issues but in use (not just in theory) I haven't experienced any. You do need the hinge and carrier though as they do sell the carrier by itself.
I like the look of the Spartacus. But worried about strength if I go larger.

I like the look of the Spartacus. But worried about strength if I go larger.

I feel going to a 35" spare is just adding weight you don't need, might not be pretty but a slightly smaller spare will get you home.

I tend to carry tire plugs and a compressor which tend to get me through most issues. In 40 years off-roading I've only ever used the spare before I started carrying the tire plugs. Then again I've never broken a bead Offroad either.

Here is response I received from MORryde when I reached out to ask re capacity for the system.

Hey Sidney,

We don’t have a max weight capacity on our hinges or reinforcement as the first thing to wear out would actually be the tub of the jeep, not our parts. With that said, we do recommend a 33” tire or smaller due to the spacing of the tire and the bumper. With our supplied offset brackets, you can go up to a 35” spare. If you go bigger than a 35” tire, you would have to purchase an angled spare tire carrier to increase your clearance.Hope that is helpful!

Let me know if you are interested in ordering direct through MORryde to save a few bucks. We are selling direct during COVID with some dealers being out of stock or shut down.

Austin Conrad
Aftermarket Sales & Marketing

MORryde International, Inc.
1966 Sterling Avenue
Elkhart, Indiana 46516

[email protected]

Check out the Rusty's Offroad spare tire kit as well. I just put one on my TJ and cut off the crappy Warn tire carrier from the bumper. It's rated to hold up a 40" tire. It handles my 35" with ease. I also carry two mountain bikes on it as well. Not cheap though.

Check out the Rusty's Offroad spare tire kit as well. I just put one on my TJ and cut off the crappy Warn tire carrier from the bumper. It's rated to hold up a 40" tire. It handles my 35" with ease. I also carry two mountain bikes on it as well. Not cheap though.
The copy finger is decidedly pointed in that direction.

If the ExoGate/MORyde is good for a 33 or even a 35" tire, what exactly did Rusty's figure out to be able to support a 40" tire?

They figured out marketing - easier to make a claim than disprove it.

It took about 70k miles for my old swing out carrier with an unsupported 33" tire to shake itself apart from fatigue. Time may be on their side considering the realities of how much Jeeps get bought and sold and rebuilt.

If the ExoGate/MorRyde is good for a 33 or even a 35" tire, what exactly did Rusty's figure out to support a 40" tire?

What I can’t figure out is why a mom with infant is using TJ on 40s to get groceries.

Jokes aside, the Rusty’s does have more detailed install guide and idea of added internal support for lower hinge seems good.