Rumor Dept: Selling Jeep to China

I've seen this all over the news lately. I just can't see it happening. If it does happen, I predict the value of the TJs and JKs will sky rocket!

Reactions: JP13
So...the Italians are selling a stake in an American subsidiary that owns the Jeep brand to a Chinese company that builds Jeeps under license for the far east market to raise capitol to do whatever. This was on the Reuters news site a little while ago and is not a done deal yet. It's still in the M&A dance phase, so who knows what will really happen. Maybe in the end, the Jeep brand will be sold to Ford or something. I bet when this all finally shakes out, whatever Wrangler models survive will still be built in Toledo, Ohio out of parts from all over the world.

I'm betting that the value of a TJ will skyrocket after the JL is released, just because the JL will be seen as less of an off road vehicle and more of a soccer mom ride. The JK's, and possibly the JKU's will hold their value because they will become "the last of the REAL Jeeps". The JL Rubicon will become the new gold standard for stock off road vehicles because the Jeep engineers and marketing folks have had a long time to work on what makes a Rubicon a Rubicon. Jeeple will still bitch about the JL not being a "REAL Jeep" because some favorite detail has changed from what they drive now.

The Chinese are just passing grip loads o' cash around looking for a good return on investment.

One thing needs to remain the same... the Wrangler needs to be made in the US in order to remain iconic (at least that's what I believe).

It would be blasphemy otherwise. Like making Harley's in China!

That's what you call a trade deficit.

I'm sorry guys, but outsourced parts for American icons are just a way of life now.

In about 5 years time, we are going to be a whole generation absent from major manufacturing.

Reactions: StG58
Jeep does? Or does China just make it and ignore Jeep rights? Because China makes a copy of pretty much everything, right?
Its a licensed product, so they aren't technically stealing it. I'm sure that a lot of the design and technology has been "transferred" to other vehicles by now though.

Reactions: Chris
Why the hell would Fiat sell what is probably the most profitable vehicle in their line-up?

If not for Jeep, AMC and Chrysler would have sunk several times over.

Reactions: JP13
Why the hell would Fiat sell what is probably the most profitable vehicle in their line-up?

If not for Jeep, AMC and Chrysler would have sunk several times over.

I agree 100%. I was thinking the same thing myself. Jeep is easily their most successful brand. Maybe there's more to it than I'm understanding.

I agree 100%. I was thinking the same thing myself. Jeep is easily their most successful brand. Maybe there's more to it than I'm understanding.

I'm sure FC is doing better than they were a few years ago, especially Dodge with the Charger, Challenger and Hellcat hype etc. But Jeep has ALWAYS made steady money for whatever company owned the name. Jeep kept AMC afloat for a decade before they finally bit it, and Renault/AMC more or less selling Jeep to Chrysler is probably what finished them off.
Chrysler would've failed many times over if not for the K cars, mini van and Jeep.

Now they want to sell?

Somebody at Fiat REALLY needs a history lesson.

Last edited:
Reactions: JP13 and Chris
I'm sure FC is doing better than they were a few years ago, especially Dodge with the Charger, Challenger and Hellcat hype etc. But Jeep has ALWAYS made steady money for whatever company owned the name. Jeep kept AMC afloat for a decade before they finally bit it, and selling Jeep to Chrysler is probably what finished them off.
Chrysler would've failed many times over if not for the mini van and Jeep.

Now they want to sell?

Somebody at Fiat REALLY needs a history lesson.

I agree. If it wasn't for Jeep and Dodge, I think FC would fail.

Obviously the Wrangler is the number one seller, but I would bet that the Challenger and Charger are not far behind. The Ram trucks are popular too.

I agree. If it wasn't for Jeep and Dodge, I think FC would fail.

Obviously the Wrangler is the number one seller, but I would bet that the Challenger and Charger are not far behind. The Ram trucks are popular too.
Aren't Grand Cherokees the number one for the brand. I know a guy the runs a dealership and the GC is like printing money according to him.

I heard on the news that China Wall said they are talking to Fiat Chrysler...but Fiat Chrysler are saying ...ummm and when did this happen?? haha

Reactions: Chris
Aren't Grand Cherokees the number one for the brand. I know a guy the runs a dealership and the GC is like printing money according to him.

Oh really? I never would have guessed that. Seems like I see way more Wranglers than Grand Cherokees. Maybe I'm just not looking for them. I'll trust your guy though!

Yuppies (are there any such things any more? The rich suburban image types) around here love the GC.

Yuppies (are there any such things any more? The rich suburban image types) around here love the GC.

Come to Portland, Oregon, you'll see yuppies galore. Of course here they're sort of a cross between hipsters and yuppies, but they'll always be yuppies to me.