Run oil/petroleum products containing Molybdenum

Chayton

When I do all my fluids soon was looking at using Conklin. Their product are meshed with Molybdenum. Was curious if anyone has had any experience with this in their jeeps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Jeeps truly don't work or run any better with exotic lubricants. Well respected brands like Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil, Torco, etc. are all you need to protect everything extremely well. Volvo and Mercedes used to showcase customer cars with over a million miles on them and when those ads were running, there were no commercially available synthetic lubricants. They were getting over a million miles on nothing but conventional lubricants that were available in the 50's which have nothing like the quality of what is being sold today. :)

Reactions: Chayton
A major difference between 50's oil and modern is lack of zinc content due to environmental reasons.
Is there any other supplement or mineral I should check for to make up for the lack of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Our Jeeps truly don't work or run any better with exotic lubricants. Well respected brands like Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil, Torco, etc. are all you need to protect everything extremely well. Volvo and Mercedes used to showcase customer cars with over a million miles on them and when those ads were running, there were no commercially available synthetic lubricants. They were getting over a million miles on nothing but conventional lubricants that were available in the 50's which have nothing like the quality of what is being sold today. :)

X2. I can't stress this enough.

Put any respected brand name oil in your Jeep, and it will run just fine, no questions asked.

We're dealing with a very old engine design here (the 4.0). An iron block, an iron head, an underhead cam, etc. There's nothing fancy or exotic about this tractor engine whatsoever. Because of that, any of those exotic oils are a waste of money, I promise you that.

Some high performance vehicles have very specific requirements as far as oil goes, but our TJs are far from one of them.

A major difference between 50's oil and modern is lack of zinc content due to environmental reasons.
Zinc is still there in sufficient quantities to protect our engines, its level was just reduced to prevent damaging the catalytic converters. Running extra zinc is a good way to turn your three cats into toast. :)