Running 35s on Dana 35

RL_MJ

Question is am I able to run 35s on Dana 35 and be safe if I re gear and upgrade shafts ? Won’t be doing anything crazy mostly used as daily but goes out camping a lot in the rocky. Suggestions , I’m on a budget

You probably could use 35's with a Dana 35 if you are just doing what you say, but then again, there is no reason to run 35's if you are doing as you say.

No, the 27-spline 1541 shafts with a regear in a Dana 35 would be a ton of money amount of money not up to running 35’s. If it broke you’d be out a ton of 💰. Not worth the risk.

stick with 33’s and upgrade shafts

Well it’s just for the mean time till I get enough for the super 35 kit . I am going to wheel my Jeep eventually .Looks like upgrading to the 30 spline would be ideal then . I’m a little confused as how they work though . 30 spline shafts and locker ? But I still have to re gear?

Ive driven and wheeled my jeep for the last two years on 35s with the stock Dana 35 shafts. I have an open diff and Im not heavy footed when wheeling. I havent broken anything yet. I'm saving for a Super 35 kit. depending on what gear ratio you have currently you may or may not be able to use those gears with the new locker in the Super 35 kit.

I wouldn’t, out of the 4 people who I wheel with regularly, they have all broken the Dana 35’s and replaced with better. Tires sizes varied from 33’s to 36’s. Also when they break and ya have to strap a log to the side of your rid to keep the axle from walking out on ya. Problem with that is, unless ya have some good grease your also gonna destroy a tire.

But to be fair, they all got a few years outa them. I just wouldn’t toss any real money at them

I’ve broken a couple Dana 35 shafts. Once with 33’s and once with 35‘s. I always recognized their limitations and drove as easy as possible on them. Changing a shaft in the field is messy, but not terribly hard, but getting all the shavings out of the carrier housing can be tough.

Ive driven and wheeled my jeep for the last two years on 35s with the stock Dana 35 shafts. I have an open diff and Im not heavy footed when wheeling. I havent broken anything yet.
Things don't break until they break.

This friend of mine hadn't broken anything either until the day one of her stock Dana 35 shafts broke while running 35's. It was a PITA to get her back to camp, then we had to send someone 75 miles one-way to get a replacement axle shaft so she could drive home.

Don't miss the link below this photo.

20180324_163833_resized.jpg.jpg

Here's a fun Dana 35 website... http://www.billhughes.com/dana35c/

Last edited: