I can remove the key from the ignition while TJ is running, is this normal?

Hunter Rich

TJ Enthusiast
I can remove the key from the ignition while it's running. My CJ7 did this also. Is this common?

šŸ»

Mine does that too. I heard there are rebuild kits you can get for the ignition that will fix that, or just replace it entirely but you'll have new keys in that case.

Reactions: Hunter Rich
When i purchased my jeep the key would pull out without hesitation while running, I was only provided 1 key so i swang by the dealer who took down my license information, checked my registration paperwork and cut a key based off of the vin number & that key does not pull out. comparing keys the original key was very worn.

i only use the original key as a backup now and the new key daily as i dont want to add any wear to the tumblers by using a worn out key.

Reactions: Hunter Rich
My ā€˜06 doesnā€™t do it. I have one original key and one aftermarket made key that came with the Jeep.

My youngest sons ā€˜85 4Runner does that. I made the mistake of taking it out one day years ago not knowing he had came and got his keys out of it something after I had started it and then went to the workshop for something. I hopped and took off and while playing around out in the woods, I stalled it. When to start it back up and the keys werenā€™t there. Luckily it started just as easy with a screwdriver as it did with the keys. LOL

My 01 with 250,000 does it, makes for a great party trick, plus you can start the Jeep and lock it on a cold/hot day.