Running rich and not enough power to get out if it's own way

Layers

Ok so I had the transmission replace about 8 months ago as well as sending my computer off to F1.

In May I went to a jeep event down here (FL) and decided to drive thru one of the mud holes, well lets just say I had about 10 inches of water inside the cab, with 37s, 4.5 lift and 1 inch body (4.88gears). But the time I got pulled out my and drove around my jeep started to overheat. So I shut it off. Found out that it was my fan clutch went bad, im guessing due to the water hitting it and it being old. (I changed all diff fluids, checked tranny and oil fluid all good as well as a new fan clutch).

Well after a week or 2 of driving around my jeep started squealing at higher RPMs and then it wouldnt shift with out letting off the gas, as well as worse mpg 14 to 11. So I ran it by the transmission shop and they said it was either fuel related or a clogged cat. Well the cat I could understand since its stock exhaust with 180k. Good time to upgrade the exhaust. Replace everything from headers back (I removed the 3rd cat since no sensor). Still have the problem. Next I dropped it off at the jeep dealership because I knew the service manager. They tested all fuel pressure and flow (good), replaced distributor, we repaced the old fan clutch and upgraded to electric, checked compression all around 158, checked spark plugs (they look good). Then they returned it to me. When I drove it no more fan clutch locking up and squealing, awesome. But when I gave it gas it still couldnt get out of its own way. And transimission wouldnt shift at high RPMs.

Sooo I brought it back the the transmission guy to check it out again. He hooked the computer up to the jeep while driving it. Still no codes, no check engine light (never had a light on during this whole time). but you could feel that it couldnt get out of its own way. We couldnt even get it up to 65 mph. He really thought it was fuel related. Saying that its dumping to much fuel and could be a o2 sensor. Well I just replaced all o2 senors (NGK) today, the old ones we cover black. But everything Still running the same after changing them all.

So whats next MAP senor?

I would highly, highly, highly discourage you from dealing with F1. Those guys are a nightmare, and there are a number of horror stories on this forum to prove it. Send it to @Wranglerfix in Florida instead. Mark is a stand-up guy, well known on this forum, and is the go to PCM guy for these things as far as I am concerned.

My first thought would have been cats and O2 sensors, but since you've done all that, that rules that out. Have you however ruled out broken or frayed wires in the wiring harness? That would usually cause some sort of codes to be thrown, but not always.

The fact that it's not shifting correctly seems to point to the transmission, but at the same time, have you used an OBDII scanner on it to report live data while driving? If so, does it show that it's actually running really rich? If that's the case, that certainly points to something else. Possibly a throttle position sensor maybe.

Now you know why a lot of us avoid water and mud at least ;)

Reactions: Wranglerfix
What is your temperature gauge indicating? Is the engine running cool or is it just past the 200 degree mark? What temperature thermostat is installed? Is it a "failsafe" model?

To further expand on what Chris posted....
IF you can check the Live Data for the O2 sensors with a Scan Tool you can check the voltage sent to the PCM to verify the condition the O2 sensors are reading. Whether the engine is running lean (0.10V) low voltage or running rich (0.90V) high voltage; realistically the O2 sensors should be modulating around .40-.70V.

I would highly, highly, highly discourage you from dealing with F1. Those guys are a nightmare, and there are a number of horror stories on this forum to prove it. Send it to @Wranglerfix in Florida instead. Mark is a stand-up guy, well known on this forum, and is the go to PCM guy for these things as far as I am concerned.

My first thought would have been cats and O2 sensors, but since you've done all that, that rules that out. Have you however ruled out broken or frayed wires in the wiring harness? That would usually cause some sort of codes to be thrown, but not always.

The fact that it's not shifting correctly seems to point to the transmission, but at the same time, have you used an OBDII scanner on it to report live data while driving? If so, does it show that it's actually running really rich? If that's the case, that certainly points to something else. Possibly a throttle position sensor maybe.

Now you know why a lot of us avoid water and mud at least ;)
Sorry It took so long to get back to everyone, I never received any notifications that someone posted anything.
-wires are all good
-I just asked the mechanic if they tested the OBDII
-i hate water and mud but when you have your 3 boys in the jeep saying come on dad. lol
-jeeps a 2006
-when we hooked up the scanner to the jeep the temps were reading 230-240, my transmission pan temp was reading 190-200

Yes they checked the OBDII not rich not lean it was good.
They said its not the pcv because the plugs dont show oil and I just had them replace the plugs and coil packs today
we did have a code PO218 tranny over temp
-internal temp read 1022 at one point

...we did have a code PO218 tranny over temp
-internal temp read 1022 at one point

The transmission obviously isn’t operating at 1022 degrees but the PCM thinks that it is.

I replaced the PCM on my ‘05 LJ recently. One of the issues was that the PCM kept placing the transmission in extreme overheat mode.

I went with Wrangler Fix. Working fine after about 10 days/1,000 miles.

Since I still have a warranty with F1 I have a call in with them right now. I wish I knew about Wrangler Fix before since they are only 3 hrs away.