Running Without a Rear Sway Bar

I removed mine when I installed the lift. Cant say I can tell the difference. Its only 5/8"ish in diameter so I'm not confident it does much of anything.

Reactions: AaronPaul
I have been running no rear sway bar for a couple years. Did not like it at all on the road in combination with the Antirock front. Now have Swayloc, which makes the onroad much better, but still more body roll than I would like. I will be installing an Antirock soon in the rear. It also feels a bit more "loose" in the rocks.

*Yours and others results may vary*

Reactions: AaronPaul
Remove it. You'll be fine on the street. :unsure:
wrecked jeep4.jpg

Removing the antiswaybars on a leaf spring vehicle is fine, not so much on a coil spring suspension like the TJ has. Coil springs are unstable in any direction, leaf springs are stable in all directions except up/down.

You're not picking up any USABLE additional rear flex by keeping the rear antiswaybar. Only newbies believe they're getting more flex without their TJ's antiswaybars.

John Currie won the overall US National ARCA rock crawling championship running his Antirock version of the antiswaybars on the front and rear. If removing the antiswaybars actually helped people doing competitive rock crawling like John Currie did they wouldn't run them. However, they do. And most serious rock crawlers running TJs run f/r antiswaybars, I do on my TJ.

I was at the final ARCA championship event held in Johnson Valley and took these photos of John Currie's Fireant TJ. Look carefully, you'll see its front and rear Antirock antiswaybars. Most serious rock crawlers run f/r antiswaybars on their TJ. I run the factory antiswaybar in the rear and Currie's Antirock antiswaybar in the front of my TJ.

2002_0921_123805AA.JPG

2002_0921_124018AA.JPG

2002_0921_135216AA.JPG

Removing the antiswaybars on a leaf spring vehicle is fine, not so much on a coil spring suspension like the TJ has. Coil springs are unstable in any direction, leaf springs are stable in all directions except up/down.

You're not picking up any USABLE additional rear flex by keeping the rear antiswaybar. Only newbies believe they're getting more flex without their TJ's antiswaybars.

John Currie won the overall US National ARCA rock crawling championship running his Antirock version of the antiswaybars on the front and rear. If removing the antiswaybars actually helped people doing competitive rock crawling like John Currie did they wouldn't run them. However, they do. And most serious rock crawlers running TJs run f/r antiswaybars, I do on my TJ.

I was at the final ARCA championship event held in Johnson Valley and took these photos of John Currie's Fireant TJ. Look carefully, you'll see its front and rear Antirock antiswaybars. Most serious rock crawlers run f/r antiswaybars on their TJ. I run the factory antiswaybar in the rear and Currie's Antirock antiswaybar in the front of my TJ.

View attachment 409743

View attachment 409744

View attachment 409745

Leafs and coils are doing the same thing. The only difference is that leafs locate the axle.

The Antirock is somewhere in between a heavy sway bar and no sway bar. Its a compromise between desired roll control and articulation limitation. You can't have the very best of both everywhere so its great that it is a tunable setup.

I have thought about running an Antirock setup in the front, but dont want less roll control than I have now.

Reactions: reddvltj
Leafs and coils are doing the same thing. The only difference is that leafs locate the axle.
Kinda-sorta but the coil springs are unstable in all directions where leaf springs are not. That's why leaf spring suspensions can get away without antiswaybars and (usually) track bars without problem.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Kinda-sorta but the coil springs are unstable in all directions where leaf springs are not. That's why leaf spring suspensions can get away without antiswaybars and (usually) track bars without problem.

Define or explain further on "unstable in all directions" please. I do not understand that comment.

Reactions: ColoJeep and jjvw
Define or explain further on "unstable in all directions" please. I do not understand that comment.
A coil spring can be moved/move in any direction. There's not a single direction a coil spring is stable in. I thought that would be pretty apparent to anyone who has seen a coil spring up close. Leaf springs don't readily move sideways, just up and down.

A coil spring can be moved/move in any direction. There's not a single direction a coil spring is stable in. I thought that would be pretty apparent to anyone who has seen a coil spring up close. Leaf springs don't readily move sideways, just up and down.

Coil springs are not unstable in the way you are describing. And especially not in the case in a TJ where they are restrained top and bottom. I thought that was apparent to anyone who has seen a TJ up close :)

The links and track bar take care of all that directional movement.