Runs like a Ship

Noppes

TJ Enthusiast
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I Hope i can explain it correckt.
The Problem Starts After i change from 265 to 33 Tire .
Because the Axel was not in the Center i fix a Bracket for the Panhard .
I dont now why i diddent see it bevor .
And i had too change the steering damper because someone used a normal Gasshok before .
Now when i Drive over 80 km/h he goes like a Ship from Left to right ?
Is it only from the 10x15 Rims with 33x12,5/15 Tire?
Ore i have to change the Pitman ? But i have only 2" Lift .
Sorry about my englisch

I had the same issue, mine was because my front and rear track bars were shot, so try checking them (the bars that connect your axel to the frame diagonally)... have someone turn your wheel while you look for movement in front, if body shifts at all side to side or if you can see play in the track bar, it needs to be replaced. In the rear, either grab the bar and try moving it or have someone push on the rear sides while you look for movement in the mounts. If you have to replace either I suggest an adjustable track bar, you can get your axels centered that way, I personally went with JKS but there are others.

Your English is better then my German, so no need to say sorry. :) Try removing the track bar (panhard) bracket, and see if that solves the problem. The track bar and draglink are no longer parallel with each other now, which can cause handling problems. An adjustable track bar without the bracket will center the axle, and keep everything in check.

Reactions: JP98
Is the sway bar connected cuz it looks like it's not in the picture.

You do not need that track bar bracket with just a 2" lift.

So from the looks of it, you have a track bar that uses a double shear mount on the frame side, which means your TB is angled lower on the frame side, so I'm wondering is your track bar is running parallel with your drag link? If it is not, you may be getting some bump steer, which sounds like what you are experiencing. Here is an example of proper steering geometry.
Front-endGeometryExample.jpg

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Did you align it and check the toe-in after doing this work?

From what I gather, the problem is that it doesn't drive straight on the highway, it pulls one direction or the other?

He is running straight without any Problems . I change only the Panhard .
Bevor he goes right and left not only to one side .
The Problem was only the Bracket what i put in !

Last edited:
Reactions: 94c2500
Hello
Today i think i have the Problem again ,but very little .
Over 100 km/h it feels like he go left and right .
I can feel it in the Steering Wheel .
On the Front is allmost everythink new !
The Wheels are verry good Ballanced .
Only the aglinement is not done yet .

Reactions: 94c2500
Hello
Today i think i have the Problem again ,but very little .
Over 100 km/h it feels like he go left and right .
I can feel it in the Steering Wheel .
On the Front is allmost everythink new !
The Wheels are verry good Ballanced .
Only the aglinement is not done yet .

A toe-out would do that. Get it aligned and report back.

3mm is alright. I would worry if it was toe-out meaning the tires are pointing outwards instead of towards but that's not your case.

Go around to each suspension and steering connection point and re-torque the bolts and then do a dry steer test. Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you watch each joint for play or looseness.

3mm is alright. I would worry if it was toe-out meaning the tires are pointing outwards instead of towards but that's not your case.

Go around to each suspension and steering connection point and re-torque the bolts and then do a dry steer test. Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you watch each joint for play or looseness.
Don't just watch the components. Put your fingers on each one while someone moves the steering wheel back and forth.

Don't just watch the components. Put your fingers on each one while someone moves the steering wheel back and forth.

Good advice. I actually do that since I'm deaf and cannot hear clicking and clunking noises they sometimes make so I go by feel.

Reactions: Stinger