Rust Belt

Artsifrtsi

I just wanna go wheeling...
Supporting Member
Everytime I read threads on here, I am SO glad I no longer live in the rust-belt! All I have to deal with down here in S FL for rust is the salty humidity creating surface rust on unprotected steel/iron, but I'm far enough inland that I don't even really get hit with that.

Sorry, just making observations and being thankful I don't have to watch my toys slowly dissolving...

To give you fine southern gentleman a proper rust experience, here's the cab on my F350.

37731436346_b8f82f94e9_c.jpg

37521753890_1731c4d914_c.jpg

37731434226_ecc2e73bbe_c.jpg

37779962641_862ea8a3db_c.jpg

When we moved to CA twenty years ago, we took our 7 year old Ford Ranger in to a shop for some routine maintenance. It had seen seven NH winters. We got a call from an excited mechanic at the shop and he said “What did you do to this truck!? It is all very rusty underneath.” The truth be told, it wasn’t at all bad for a New England vehicle, but by CA standards it was junk. We’re still driving that truck today. It probably would not have lasted another 4 seasons in NH.

As I can say, working on a rusty vehicle is one of the hells I don’t wish to depart to.

This is what my TJ looks like haha, it spent its first years on the coast of Florida, then to the winters of Minnesota, and I bought it in Iowa before moving to New England. Now in Colorado, my main goal in 2021 is New floor pans and torque boxes.

It might be cheaper to buy a rust free one.

Well if you want to save it, I applaud it. It’s a lot of work. Frame is the bigger concern.

I won't even touch rusty stuff. We're spoiled from having lived in states that don't salt the roads. That has obviously led to me becoming a rust snob. I just won't even touch it unless it's something I can easily get off with a wire wheel (surface rust).

Reactions: Rick Flair
I like how it posted twice. The Jeep must of hacked my account :ROFLMAO: . The frame is still pretty good I’m guessing the motor will blow before it goes. I just cant pull the trigger of paying 8-10k for TJ that may be cosmetically nice, but who nows what mechanical problems you may run it. I would rather spend 1k a year fixing mine and now what is good and what is bad

Do you ever worry about it literally just snapping in half while you’re driving it?

My feet freeze in the winter. Seriously, I have the heater set to defrost and floor permanently. lol

I've actually been collecting parts to restore it. Full floor, cab mounts, rockers and radiator support need to be replaced. The doors, passenger fender, bed, and hood are fine though.

It's not a daily driver, so it's not too bad. I just chip away at it.

My feet freeze in the winter. Seriously, I have the heater set to defrost and floor permanently. lol

I've actually been collecting parts to restore it. Full floor, cab mounts, rockers and radiator support need to be replaced. The doors, passenger fender, bed, and hood are fine though.

It's not a daily driver, so it's not too bad. I just chip away at it.

What year?

• Wow
Reactions: TJ Starting
Living in the NorthEast, I've finally learned I need a daily in order for my Jeeps to not get destroyed. I had 3 XJs previous to this TJ, and daily drove them year round. The rust still eventually got them even with religious washing, POR15, etc. I now daily drive a car with snows for winter and use my TJ in the nice weather. The TJ is rust free from California, so as much fun as I had with my XJs in the snow, this Jeep will live in the garage during those months.

I live in MA, and work from home. I definitely DON'T need two cars since I literally don't drive anywhere anymore haha, but I'm keeping my 2nd car so I can drive it in the winter, since it's paid off anyways. I should just drop insurance on it until the winter. I probably drive it once every couple weeks just to keep the battery alive and to blast some music since I've got a decent sound system in there.

The only time I'll be taking the TJ out in the winter is after a considerable snow, just to have some fun with it. It'll probably get undercarriage wash immediately, too. we use so much freakin salt here.