Rust in hard to get places

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Replaced the fender flares on the Jeep today and noticed that I had rust on the tops of my rear spring perches. Doesn't look like it would be feasible to go after it with a wire brush and undercoat. Any ideas on how to get the rust off, at least enough to stop the rust and throw some paint on it?

Try any of the rust stop solutions. Loctite makes one. Or if you are really cheap make a weak sulfuric acid or muratic acid and spray it on until every thing turns black. Wash off, let dry and paint it. Same basic principle as blueing a firearm

Reactions: StG58
Naval Jelly will work but is messier to clean up. Just spray water on and it goes away without blobs in the driveway;)

Another thing. I don't use a weak solution. If muratic I use full strength and monitor.

Reactions: StG58
Chris I have not heard of this. Does it stop, remove rust or just protect metal from it

Chris I have not heard of this. Does it stop, remove rust or just protect metal from it

They sell it at Home Depot and other places. It protects metal from rust. You spray it on the entire underside of your vehicle (or anywhere else you want) and it leaves a durable coating (not greasy at all) that lasts for around 4 months (depending on conditions).

They've done tests where they take a sheet of raw steel, spray half of it with Fluid Film and leave the other half uncoated. They put it in salt water for 30 days. Upon removing it the un-coated side has rust everywhere, while the coated side doesn't even have an ounce of rust on it.

I'm a firm believer. I use it and LOVE it!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OKBFBS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

May have to try that. I hate rust!:mad:

I highly, highly recommend it. I apply it 2-3 times a year on the entire underside (takes me about 3 cans) but it effectively keeps the chassis 100% rust free. Very nice product!