Rust prevention shoot out

NWPA Jeepy T

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member

This guy breaks it all down!!
He has hundreds of vids about all sorts of things. Straight, no nonsense, no bs

I like fluid film works good just need to reapply every winter I also like the corrosionX works great for a thick coating on brake fittings and fuel line fittings. Wax oil is great too tho he did not use it.

Until he hangs those samples under a Jeep and drives around for 10-15 years in the rust belt states, it's all just BS.:geek:

That's probably why he qualifies it with reapplication.

Some of his stuff is good, a lot of it is highly flawed since his test fixtures are a bit wonky at best.

No doubt it's not scientific controlled environment testing, but very good for the average Joe. It's funny, the details on all his vids says they're just recommendations & he accepts no responsibility. CYA I guess

I use Fluid Film and spray Cosmoline.

Keeps everything looking like new while every other vehicle around you rusts back into the earth.

Wax oil is great too tho he did not use it.
That is the other thing about his tests. He manages to find the most random oddball products and brands that I would never even begin to try. I took particular issue with some of his impact bit testing. "This one is shit because it fits too well."

Pretty interesting. I Need to address some rust spots under my TJ. The frame looks good but there is some rust on other parts.

Best thing you can do is seal up all your rust prone areas with some seem sealer. It takes some prep. It will keep any water out. It takes time but it’s worth it. Then spray it with whatever you like. I’m in maine so I don’t even think it’s the rust belt. It’s like the rust capital!

Reactions: TheBoogieman
That is the other thing about his tests. He manages to find the most random oddball products and brands that I would never even begin to try. I took particular issue with some of his impact bit testing. "This one is shit because it fits too well."
That's hilarious!! As a contractor, I can't count the number of tight bits I've pitched because they wouldn't come out of the screws!! Milwaukee is my go to for T25 torx head bits!!

Best thing you can do is seal up all your rust prone areas with some seem sealer. It takes some prep. It will keep any water out. It takes time but it’s worth it. Then spray it with whatever you like. I’m in maine so I don’t even think it’s the rust belt. It’s like the rust capital!
Couldn't that trap water inside though? I think it would be real tough to seal everything 100%.

Well I would suggest making sure you don’t do it after a rain storm. Seam sealer is used by the one manufacturer they are just cheap so they don’t do the whole tub. If you look under your Jeep or any car really that sees salt you will see that it is on overlap seams or rocker panel seams where stuff starts to rust. The idea is to keep crap out of those areas. When I did mine I had the tub off and stripped so it wasn’t hard to do. It will be a little more work if the Jeep is all assembled as far as cleaning it and applying.

I know @mrblaine is quite fond of Fluid Film ;)
I've used this for decades for lubrication.... especially for the bushings. I'd never spray the frame with it to prevent rust however. I can only use it in small bursts as it sinks to high heaven.

Like all things... it has a use. Spraying the underside of your vehicle with it isn't one of them.

Reactions: Chris
I've used this for decades for lubrication.... especially for the bushings. I'd never spray the frame with it to prevent rust however. I can only use it in small bursts as it sinks to high heaven.

Like all things... it has a use. Spraying the underside of your vehicle with it isn't one of them.

Well you're in AZ, so you don't have much to worry about. lol

My TJ, which has lived its whole life here looks almost new underneath. Stuff like fluid film and cosmoline have saved it.

Well you're in AZ, so you don't have much to worry about. lol

My TJ, which has lived its whole life here looks almost new underneath. Stuff like fluid film and cosmoline have saved it.
If you put a product like Fluid Film on your frame down here and drove off road in the silt you have what looks like bread stuck to your frame after a hundred yards.

I lived in Spokane WA for 25 years... I do know what you're talking about. I had a YJ up there for the entire time and made sure the frame was always fully painted..... which I seemed to do about once every 2 years. It was a process of checking it every spring and getting any rust off with a brush and painting any spots where the paint had chipped off.

I just purchased a CJ7 from a second owner in south Texas with a rust free frame and tub. He said he repainted the frame every few years.... and not just painted over the existing paint. It was stripped and repainted. That jeep had some electrical issues and the engine was tired but you could eat off the frame and there was not a spot of rust on the tub. Needless to say I snapped it up.

Rust prevention is a constant battle. I've never tried spraying the frame with anything. I'm glad it's working for you.

Reference seam sealer from the factory, there are places that have it applied and places that don't. I think the factory still left spots open for things to drain if need be. Considering the use of our Jeeps, I think sealing is just going to lead to trapped water somewhere.