Rusty Jeep value opinions

Hi all! A family friend is looking to sell their 2000 TJ- manual 4.0, soft top with 44k miles and Dana 30-Front/Dana 35-Rear. Clean title and no accidents. The body is in OK shape with zero rust, but a few dings and scrapes. The frame and underside are pretty close to needing repair. The inside of the frame rails has started to delaminate, with the worst sections at the trans skid. The inside of the frame rail shows delimitation from front lower control arm all the way back to rear lower control arm on both sides. It runs and drives and is all original, for better or worse. What do you think its worth in its current shape? I'm pretty well versed in what it takes to repair the frame, so I'm mainly looking for a simple opinion on price as it sits. Helping them to gauge market value to determine if they'll hold on to it or let it go. Thanks in advance!

Other things it needs in the near future:
RMS leak, valve cover leak, A/C condenser leak, rear brake lines replaced

IMG_9118.JPG

IMG_9124.JPG

IMG_9123.JPG

IMG_9120.JPG

IMG_9131.jpg

Last edited:
I also live in Fairfax, VA. My '06 had the same frame rust issues and I recently had a local shop do a complete Safe T Cap repair. The work was done by a Safe T Cap approved installer. I paid almost $6,000 parts and labor (yeah, I know...so please no "should have done a frame swap" comments ;) ). Obviously, that cost can be reduced significantly if someone can do the job themselves. Your friend will need to factor in that kind of cost for the buyer when figuring what to ask for it.

The amount of labor involved will become cost prohibitive if you bring the Jeep to a shop for the repairs.
IF you are knowledgeable with welding and the repairing of frames I would offer him $1000 for the vehicle; otherwise I would recommend a HARD PASS on that Jeep.

The amount of labor involved will become cost prohibitive if you bring the Jeep to a shop for the repairs.
IF you are knowledgeable with welding and the repairing of frames I would offer him $1000 for the vehicle; otherwise I would recommend a HARD PASS on that Jeep.

I don't think the OP is considering buying it....just helping a friend determine an asking price/market value.

Low mileage like that on a 23 yr old vehicle may be just enough to not cause problems IF it's been driven 2000 miles every year and spent most of it's life in a garage. Otherwise that's probably not enough miles to keep bad things from already starting. Either way looking at the skid plate to frame connection has me in shock. For as much rust as I have seen throughout my life this s the first time I have seen the frame getting fatter where each of the three rivnuts are located. I bet you could drop that skid plate by prying with a medium sized screw driver.

Even though the body looks great for it's age, I'm not sure what the whole Jeep is worth. If the interior is similar condition as the body, maybe $25000.00?

Sorry about that.

Reactions: alpineovernappa
Low mileage like that on a 23 yr old vehicle may be just enough to not cause problems IF it's been driven 2000 miles every year and spent most of it's life in a garage. Otherwise that's probably not enough miles to keep bad things from already starting. Either way looking at the skid plate to frame connection has me in shock. For as much rust as I have seen throughout my life this s the first time I have seen the frame getting fatter where each of the three rivnuts are located. I bet you could drop that skid plate by prying with a medium sized screw driver.

Even though the body looks great for it's age, I'm not sure what the whole Jeep is worth. If the interior is similar condition as the body, maybe $25000.00?

Sorry about that.

It has been consistently driven, but the seals and bushings all show their age. It amazes me how some of these TJ tubs rot out and the frame stays perfect, while some have destroyed frames with almost zero rust on the body pinch welds. I'm assuming there's an extra zero on that price :ROFLMAO: