RV-TJ's 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport

RV-TJ

Supporting Member
Hey Gang, Just purchased, but not yet picked up, a 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport, 4.0L, dual top option, auto, 88k miles and rust free from a guy in Milwaukee WI. **For those who didn't know, I bought an '05 X model in SLC Utah in January this year, 44k miles, and rolled it 3 times on the long drive home in the middle of Iowa. Link below to that thread, complete with pics of the rollover!!!!!

05 Jeep purchase and rollover pics
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/just-picked-up-2005-tj-4-0-with-44k-miles-and-a-hardtop.17266/
So the 2000 has the EXACT same interior — color and pattern — as the 1997 TJ I bought new in 97. Funny. I pick this one up Saturday so hopefully this one comes home all 4 wheels on the ground. Enjoy the pics — I'll update when I pick it up to let you know if it's as clean as it looks. Was a Florida Jeep, hence the pristine undercarriage. Paid $13,500.

Last edited:
**Looks like I inserted a few of the exact same pic....sorry!

**FIXED !!!

Last edited:
Whats the first mod? 5 point harness and a full cage :ROFLMAO:

Just messing with you. I'm glad your ok. That roll looked pretty serious. That jeep looks fantastic. Are those new tires also? I still see a hint of blue on the white side.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DrDmoney
Yeah, new rubber. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have the white lettering moved to the outside....I like that look even for the waste of $$$ it will be to do it.

It has double the mileage of the 05 I had (for a short time) but it's almost nicer. Go figure. Will confirm all Saturday when I pick it up. Hate to buy sight unseen but I can get downpayment back if it's not what it looks like...which is doubtful.

Reactions: Alex01
Holy cow... that underside is immaculate!

Sounds like this whole ordeal was a blessing in disguise!

Congratulations! Hope you get this one and yourself home safe and sound. That is ONE CLEAN TJ!
Mine is also a 2000 Sport 4.0 with 80,000 miles.
You'll have lots of fun with it! Top off, spring and summer cruising around.

Thought I'd throw this out there as I grow more excited (impatient) about driving to Milwaukee tomorrow to pick up the new blue TJ....

1st Jeep — 1979 CJ7 w/ AMC 304 V8
2nd — 1997 Wrangler Sport hardtop 4.0L, bought NEW in 1997
3rd — 2005 X model hardtop 4.0L, bought Jan 2019, totaled Jan 2019
4th — 2000 Sport model, 4.0L, auto, pick up Saturday!

After the lull of dealing with insurance, I'm excited to do this again.

As my user name might suggest, we have a motorhome and will be pulling the 00 TJ behind us to explore the back country in Colorado, Utah, TN, AR, MO, and well, pretty much the 49 states we can drive to.

Thought I'd throw this out there as I grow more excited (impatient) about driving to Milwaukee tomorrow to pick up the new blue TJ....

1st Jeep — 1979 CJ7 w/ AMC 304 V8
2nd — 1997 Wrangler Sport hardtop 4.0L, bought NEW in 1997
3rd — 2005 X model hardtop 4.0L, bought Jan 2019, totaled Jan 2019
4th — 2000 Sport model, 4.0L, auto, pick up Saturday!

After the lull of dealing with insurance, I'm excited to do this again.

As my user name might suggest, we have a motorhome and will be pulling the 00 TJ behind us to explore the back country in Colorado, Utah, TN, AR, MO, and well, pretty much the 49 states we can drive to.
That's the way to do it! Tour the country in a motorhome with TJ in tow.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Alex01
Made it home with all 4 wheels on the ground! Finally. It is a really nice TJ, with a few 20 year old vehicle flaws that I can live with. A few dings (very minor) in hood from hail, a few scratches — all normal stuff. What I did not like, and what nearly made me walk away is the CRACK in the hardtop on the driver's side rear. I was pissed they did not mention this to me on the phone. I only put a deposit down and could get it back, but after a 30 minute plus session of looking under, over, and around, it seemed clear that to get a non-rotted frame and decent TJ that I could overlook the crack. The dual top — the factory plastic (now yellowed) is still on the arms for the soft top. It appears the original owner (Florida Jeep brought up to Wisconsin earlier this year) took the hardtop off and dropped it — hence the crack. I'm guessing so was the seller.

I did a short drive before giving him the final payment — AC works, heat, found out later the turn signals don't — fuse? Will check it today. She drove great at 70MPH on the way home...no death wobble, it was straight, all good. I think overall it's a great find. I did ask for and we finally agreed on a lesser amount due to the top.

Anyway, any ideas on fixing that or is that hardtop scrap? I'd guess it could be reinforced / fiberglassed and repainted.

Congrats on the New Jeep! Looks amazing underneath. Sucks about the top. I know they are repairable. That doesn't look too bad. You might take it to a body shop or a boat repair place. Its not fiberglass, but its similar...Sheet molded resin or something. If the rest of the top is as pristine as the underside of the jeep, I'd have it fixed.

Reactions: lowranger
Thanks for the tip on the top. Funny thing is the original owner ordered it with - or - had the dealer install the factory Jeep fog lights and running boards used on the Sahara...but the running boards are in my way. I don't need them to get in/out, but the wife/kids do. Told the wife I know the fix for that....so that I can use the running boards too....a small lift. :cool:

Reactions: lowranger
Made it home with all 4 wheels on the ground! Finally. It is a really nice TJ, with a few 20 year old vehicle flaws that I can live with. A few dings (very minor) in hood from hail, a few scratches — all normal stuff. What I did not like, and what nearly made me walk away is the CRACK in the hardtop on the driver's side rear. I was pissed they did not mention this to me on the phone. I only put a deposit down and could get it back, but after a 30 minute plus session of looking under, over, and around, it seemed clear that to get a non-rotted frame and decent TJ that I could overlook the crack. The dual top — the factory plastic (now yellowed) is still on the arms for the soft top. It appears the original owner (Florida Jeep brought up to Wisconsin earlier this year) took the hardtop off and dropped it — hence the crack. I'm guessing so was the seller.

I did a short drive before giving him the final payment — AC works, heat, found out later the turn signals don't — fuse? Will check it today. She drove great at 70MPH on the way home...no death wobble, it was straight, all good. I think overall it's a great find. I did ask for and we finally agreed on a lesser amount due to the top.

Anyway, any ideas on fixing that or is that hardtop scrap? I'd guess it could be reinforced / fiberglassed and repainted.

View attachment 84136

Didn't @tworley just go thru a hardtop repair this fall?

And glad to see you safely back in the saddle!

Didn't @tworley just go thru a hardtop repair this fall?

And glad to see you safely back in the saddle!

Yep. Though not very clean. I had never worked with SMC before. It was a strong repair though. If I could do it again I would have sanded a touch more and filled in the low spots. The stuff I used was very easy to work with.

My repair:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/tworley-build.10974/post-241544
This was the stuff I used:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/tworley-build.10974/post-248629
FInal result (I realize it wasnt perfect, but it held)
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/tworley-build.10974/post-248629

Reactions: RV-TJ
Looking at 2" lift and new wheels / tires. I like some of the newer Wrangler wheels (take offs) but I see that American Racing has a new Turbine wheel — model VN47 — shown below. I had Turbines (Western brand) on my 79 CJ7 back in the day. Always loved the look. Anyway, just in the looking stages right now.