RV tow setup advice

03SportMT

Good morning, I could buy a base plate and install it …..or get a HD bumper and mount my own attachment points. I just wondered if someone really found a bumper they liked for this.
thanks
Rick

Good morning, I could buy a base plate and install it …..or get a HD bumper and mount my own attachment points. I just wondered if someone really found a bumper they liked for this.
thanks
Rick
I like my Smitty winch bumper with the recovery lugs. ‘No plate needed. I just hook up the Blue Ox tow bar & go. ‘Works perfectly.

07691A16-DEDC-4B88-A56F-E7ABBBC8C657.jpeg

Had these attachment points custom fabbed to fit over the OEM bumper and tie into the frame. No extra plate, doesn't effect clearance and works great with my Blue Ox.
C8E19E7A-4FF3-4FC1-85CF-5652F4416195.jpeg

Reactions: Farmergreg
Not a very good picture, but this is my Roadmaster tow bar attached attached to my Smittybilt bumper. 30k miles of flat towing with no difficulties.

BE6F7949-7B3B-4A02-A750-D277AEBD8518.jpeg

Some of the RockHard bumpers are tow rated. I believe they have addition tie-in's to the frame. I have very little personal experiance with them so far - other than picking up the pallet from FedEx this afternoon and then sliding it from one truck bed to another tonight. I was already on the way to the FedEx pickup when I remembered my truck had scheduled repairs to start first thing in the morning. Anyway, if this thread is not dead, will post pictures with it installed next week probably

Reactions: 03SportMT
I have one of the flat-tow rated Rock Hard 4x4 bumpers. It works quite well with a basic Curt flat tow bar.

I also installed the Brake Buddy Stealth in my TJ, so the wiring is literally plug and play. Just plug it in, turn on the trailer brake controller, and roll on.

The safety chains are standard Grade 80 5/16" chain, with a 5/16" clevis hook on one end and a 3/8" clevis hook on the other. The 3/8" hook was needed on the Jeep end as it is the smallest size that will clip into a 3/4" bow shackle. Both clevis hooks are Grade 80. You can find this chain and these hooks at your local farm supply store.

20210704_184523.jpg

20210704_184457.jpg

20210704_180442.jpg

20210704_180355.jpg

We have the Smitybilt XRC bumpers on our TJ and the shackle mounts are welded both inside and out. They work well for flat towing.

You might also want to consider a supplemental tow vehicle brake setup. More and more States are requiring them for tow vehicles over a certain weight. We did not have one and one day while leaving a camp sight, the Jeep ended up climbing over the tow bar (fortunately we weren't going fast) and ruining the tow bar. It wouldn't have happened if a supplemental brake system was installed. They also greatly reduce your stopping distance in case of a panic stop. They are not cheap, but cost less than getting into an accident because you didn't have one. Needless to say, we have one now.

The vast majority of states require a supplemental braking system (usually with a breakaway kit) for any trailer (including towed vehicles) over 3,000 lbs.

It is also a good idea to do so regardless of the law for a number of reasons:
  1. Stopping distance of the tow rig and towed car significantly decreases. Might be the difference between hitting a semi that pulled out in front of you or missing it.
  2. Having brakes on the towed car significantly reduces the odds of jacknifing the two vehicles in a panic stop, particularly one involving a low traction surface or on a curve.
  3. The breakaway kit not only protects others around you in a breakaway, but can also significantly reduce damage to your car. In some cases it can also stop your car from rolling away if you forget to put the e-brake on when disconnecting.
  4. It significantly reduces wear and tear on the tow rig’s brakes and tires without having a major impact on the towed vehicle’s components.