Safe way to raise TJ to flush brake fluid?

French_Bulldog

Supporting Member
Hello,

I want to flush and refill the brake fluid in my TJ as it’s pretty black. I want to do this myself, however the only Jack I have is the emergency one that is inside the Jeep as well as emergency jacks from a minivan and a sedan.
Basically, I’m trying to figure out a way to safely mount the TJ in my driveway so that I can take the wheels off, flush the cylinders, thoroughly clean the brakes, etc.
I’d like to not have to buy any kind of Jack stand as I don’t have anywhere to safely store it. With that said I also don’t want to kill either the Jeep or myself by accidentally dropping it to the ground.

Any ideas?

IOwnCalculus

TJ Enthusiast
The Jeep won't care if it falls to the ground - but you sure will.

If you don't have a floor jack and a pair of jackstands, no way to store them, see if there are any equipment rental companies that will rent you a jack and stands. If not, I'd rather pay a shop to do the work for you instead of climbing around a Jeep on spare-tire jacks only.

Jerry Bransford

TJ Guru Moderator
Staff Member
Supporting Member
You don't need to jack up the Jeep to drain and refill its brake lines.
IMAG1095.jpg

LONGJP2

TJ Expert
Hello,

Basically, I’m trying to figure out a way to safely mount the TJ in my driveway so that I can take the wheels off, flush the cylinders, thoroughly clean the brakes, etc.
Any ideas?

You only need one jack to do one wheel at a time.
For safety, place the (removed) wheel under the axle.

BlueC

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I want to flush and refill the brake fluid in my TJ as it’s pretty black. I want to do this myself

No need to jack up the Jeep, as Jerry pointed out. I do recommend installing "speed bleeders" so you can do the job fast and by yourself if needed.

SkylinesSuck

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
No need to jack up the Jeep, as Jerry pointed out. I do recommend installing "speed bleeders" so you can do the job fast and by yourself if needed.
[/URL]

This. I have a vac and still prefer just using these. As a matter of fact, it's a good reminder. I think I'm going to do mine later today. It takes all of 15 min with speed bleeders installed. 20 min if you kid is "helping" keep the reservoir filled up 🫤🤣

Reactions: BlueC

BlueC

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Are the threads on the front and rear the same? For some reason, this is showing it only fits the front calipers for me.

I have rear drums, I know those use different bleeders. I don't know about rear disc.